[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 2 Questions

unhd (Roger Gonzalez ) (12/08/89)

I am using the PICNIX utilities, and have the switch character set to '-',
which makes things more acceptable to my UNIXized fingers.  Directories
are now separated with '/'.  Unfortunately, my prompt ($p$g) still shows
the old '\' separating the entries.  Doesn't DOS (3.3) look at the switch
character when printing the prompt?  Why do I get a mixed prompt when using
a program that spawns another COMMAND.COM? (i.e. C:\FOO/BAR)

My second question pertains to "ECHO OFF".  Is there a program kicking
around that sets the ECHO toggle to be initially off?  I'm sick of setting
it at the beginning of every batch file.  Has there been a change from old
DOSes?  I seem to remember that if you did "ECHO OFF" at the prompt instead
of in a batch file, it would ignore it.  Now, it does what you'd expect.

Just curious.
-Roger

--
UUCP:   ..!uunet!unhd!rg      | USPS: Marine Systems Engineering Laboratory
BITNET: r_gonzalez at unhh    |       University of New Hampshire

DSB100@PSUVM.BITNET (David Barr) (12/08/89)

In article <1989Dec7.161200.20782@uunet!unhd>, rg@uunet!unhd (Roger Gonzalez )
says:

>My second question pertains to "ECHO OFF".  Is there a program kicking
>around that sets the ECHO toggle to be initially off?

I seem to remeber having a patch to COMMAND.COM that does just that.
I'd be happy to send it to you and anyone else interested, as soon as I
pull it out of my .ARChives.  It's a PD file, if I remember correctly, that
I pulled off a BBS that has a few other helpful patches too.

| David Barr           |  I did! I did! I did saw a puddy tat!!    |
| DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu |  Where's the kaboom? There was supposed   |
| DSB100@psuvm.bitnet  |    to be an earth-shattering kaboom!      |
| 72145.224@compuserve.com  (rarely)  |  This space for rent       |
|        There's too much blood in my alcohol system!              |

ppd491@leah.Albany.Edu (Peter P. Donohue) (12/08/89)

In article <1989Dec7.161200.20782@uunet!unhd>, rg@uunet!unhd (Roger Gonzalez ) writes:
> My second question pertains to "ECHO OFF".  Is there a program kicking
> around that sets the ECHO toggle to be initially off?  I'm sick of setting
> it at the beginning of every batch file.  Has there been a change from old
> DOSes?  I seem to remember that if you did "ECHO OFF" at the prompt instead
> of in a batch file, it would ignore it.  Now, it does what you'd expect.

   If you use @ECHO OFF, the command is not displayed.

   A few other notes of interest:
 - ECHO/  ECHO:  ECHO\  and ECHO.  will all produce a blank line.
 - ECHO "three > two"  will print "three > two" rather than putting
'three' into a file called two. Using quotes can remove the commands
from '>', '<', and '|', but the quotes get printed.

						Pete
--
Peter P. Donohue
ppd491@albny1vx.bitnet               .  "Education is a journey,

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (12/10/89)

In article <1989Dec7.161200.20782@uunet!unhd> rg@unhd.UUCP (Roger Gonzalez ) writes:
$My second question pertains to "ECHO OFF".  Is there a program kicking
$around that sets the ECHO toggle to be initially off?  I'm sick of setting
$it at the beginning of every batch file.  Has there been a change from old
$DOSes?  I seem to remember that if you did "ECHO OFF" at the prompt instead
$of in a batch file, it would ignore it.  Now, it does what you'd expect.

   I don't know of any solutions to having to type ECHO OFF at the start of
every batch file, but in DOS 3.3 and above you can change that line to
@ECHO OFF
and at least it won't show up on the screen.

--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

ho@fergvax.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (12/11/89)

From article <1989Dec7.161200.20782@uunet!unhd>, by rg@uunet!unhd (Roger Gonzalez ):
> I am using the PICNIX utilities, and have the switch character set to '-',
> which makes things more acceptable to my UNIXized fingers.  Directories
> are now separated with '/'.  Unfortunately, my prompt ($p$g) still shows
> the old '\' separating the entries.  Doesn't DOS (3.3) look at the switch
> character when printing the prompt?  Why do I get a mixed prompt when using
> a program that spawns another COMMAND.COM? (i.e. C:\FOO/BAR)

In short, no.  It's a bug.  Because the switchar-changing interrupt is
undocumented, Microsoft doesn't have to make sure that it works (after all,
you're not supposed to be using undocumented calls, right? :-) ).  So the
switchar is only half-implemented.  And I don't have hours in the day to
find where DOS stores that blasted \ separator.

> My second question pertains to "ECHO OFF".  Is there a program kicking
> around that sets the ECHO toggle to be initially off?  I'm sick of setting

There is one.  I forget where.  Maybe simtel in the SYSUTL directory?
---
	... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu		USnail:  115 Nebraska Union
BITnet:   cosx001@UNLCDC3			 Lincoln, NE 68588-0461

poffen@molehill (Russ Poffenberger) (12/12/89)

In article <1989Dec7.161200.20782@uunet!unhd> rg@unhd.UUCP (Roger Gonzalez ) writes:

>My second question pertains to "ECHO OFF".  Is there a program kicking
>around that sets the ECHO toggle to be initially off?  I'm sick of setting
>it at the beginning of every batch file.  Has there been a change from old
>DOSes?  I seem to remember that if you did "ECHO OFF" at the prompt instead
>of in a batch file, it would ignore it.  Now, it does what you'd expect.

In the newer DOS (at least in 3.3) if you put '@echo off' as the first line,
not only does it turn echo off, but the 'echo off' message is also not
displayed.

>Just curious.
Aren't we all.

>-Roger