[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Does DRIVPARM actually work?

thfisher@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry Fisher) (12/04/89)

I have been trying to get the DRIVPARM command to make a clone recognise
the 3.5" drive as 720K.  I keep getting an error message about an
unrecognized command in config.sys.  Does this command work, or am I
doing something wrong.
Terry Fisher			thfisher@lion.waterloo.edu
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada	{...}!watmath!lion!thfisher
(519) 885-2785

hollen@eta.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (12/04/89)

From article <18968@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, by thfisher@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry Fisher):
> I have been trying to get the DRIVPARM command to make a clone recognise
> the 3.5" drive as 720K.  I keep getting an error message about an
> unrecognized command in config.sys.  Does this command work, or am I
> doing something wrong.
> Terry Fisher			thfisher@lion.waterloo.edu
> Waterloo, Ontario, Canada	{...}!watmath!lion!thfisher
> (519) 885-2785

 Yes, but it depends on what version of DOS and how you use the
command.  Since you do not specify the exact command you are
trying to use and also do not specify what version of DOS,
nor do you specify XT or AT or 386, it is
hard to say what your problem is.  Therefore, I will give some
general information which may lead you to the right answer.

In DOS 3.2 on an XT DRIVPARM works as advertised.  The command I use is

DRIVPARM= /d:2 /f:2

which says that drive C, my third floppy is a 720k.  Nevermind that it
is a 5 1/4" 80 track, it works fine.  You could have done this to
drive A or B without opening the case.  If you wanted to add a third
or fourth floppy, be sure to open the case and reset the DIP switches
the indicate the total number of floppies you have in the system.

This same command on DOS 3.3 WILL FAIL.  Previous postings to this
newsgroup (unfortunately I cannot find the copy I saved) told how
to add several CTL-A characters and some other characters to the
end of the line and this will magically work!!!  Maybe some kind
soul would post this again for you.  The other possiblity is
trying DRIVER.SYS to handle the non-standard configuration, but
the drive will be numbered ABOVE you hard disk and DRIVER.SYS
takes valuable memory.

Regardless of DOS version if you have an AT and are trying to add
a third or fourth floppy, even if your controller card will support
it, 9 out of 10 BIOS's will not let you indicate more than 2 floppies
in the CMOS setup program.  I curse shit-for-brains idiots who first
came up with this, since it has become the standard rather than
the exception.  Since when does upgrading to a more powerful machine
mean that you do not need as many type of I/O devices?

Hope this helps and if your problem is DOS 3.3 (that's one of the
reasons I have stayed with 3.2), hope someone will post the fix
I mentioned.

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

        uunet!megatek!hollen       or  hollen@megatek.uucp

baird@cod.NOSC.MIL (John M. Baird) (12/05/89)

From article <18968@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, by thfisher@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry Fisher):
> I have been trying to get the DRIVPARM command to make a clone recognise
> the 3.5" drive as 720K.  I keep getting an error message about an
> unrecognized command in config.sys.  Does this command work, or am I
> doing something wrong.
Depending on the supplier and the version of DOS, it should work. See the
attached comments from HELPSB.

John Baird, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA USA
---------
Under Microsoft's version of DOS 3.3 and later (and most OEM's):
DRIVPARM= /D:n [/T:t] [/S:s] [/H:h] [/F:f] [/N] [/C]

Each DRIVPARM line configures a device on your computer and tells DOS to
assign a unique drive name (letter) to it. Diskette drive names will follow
the "standard" A: and B: (if present). Hard drive names will follow C: (and
any other drive names assigned to partitions on the drive C: occupies).

Under IBM's version of DOS 3.3 and later (and a few OEM's):
DEVICE=[d:][pathname]DRIVER.SYS /D:n [/T:t] [/S:s] [/H:h] [/F:f] [/N] [/C]

Each DEVICE line installs a device driver for a disk on your computer and
assigns a unique drive letter to the disk. The assigned drive name will
follow C: (and any other drive letters assigned to partitions on the drive C:
occupies).

Also a hint for those systems apparently without DRIVPARM:
	DRIVPARM lines	if available on your system. [Actually, most DOS 3.3
			and later systems have it, though some don't document
			it. To use it on those systems, try putting a Ctrl-A
			character between the DRIVPARM= and the first option.]

thfisher@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry Fisher) (12/06/89)

In article <18968@watdragon.waterloo.edu> I write:
>I have been trying to get the DRIVPARM command to make a clone recognise
>the 3.5" drive as 720K.  I keep getting an error message about an
>unrecognized command in config.sys.  Does this command work, or am I
>doing something wrong.

I was trying to use it with DOS 3.3.  The trick that worked was inserting
a Control-A after the =.  Thanks to all who gave me info.

strike@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Strikemaster) (12/06/89)

thfisher@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry Fisher) writes:

>I have been trying to get the DRIVPARM command to make a clone recognise
>the 3.5" drive as 720K.  I keep getting an error message about an
>unrecognized command in config.sys.  Does this command work, or am I
>doing something wrong.
>Terry Fisher			thfisher@lion.waterloo.edu
>Waterloo, Ontario, Canada	{...}!watmath!lion!thfisher
>(519) 885-2785

   I have been told by several sources that DRIVPARM dropped dead with DOS
3.1. I have tried the same thing when I installed my 1.44 drive, and came
up with the same problems. I am now using DOS 3.3, my demented system BIOS
still thinks the drive is a 1.2 meg, and I just work around the mess with a
few kludged .BAT file for formatting disks. All drive operations run
normally, including DMA backup operations with PC-Tools 5.5, so there is
hope yet.

   All this is taking place on a IBM 286 clone, so the situations might not
be similar. Hope you get your problem cleared up. If all else fails, use
DRIVER.SYS and configure the 3.5 as an external drive. You won't be able to
boot from it, but at least you'll have it around for swapping files with
the PS/2 gang.

--
 Tim Bowser  ("Strikemaster")  |  Standard  |  mailrus!sharkey!clmqt!strike
Enterprise Information System  | Disclaimer |  strike@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US

coffman@sparky.UUCP (Clark Coffman) (12/07/89)

In article <18968@watdragon.waterloo.edu> thfisher@lion.waterloo.edu
 (Terry Fisher) writes:
[I have been trying to get the DRIVPARM command to make a clone recognise
[the 3.5" drive as 720K.  I keep getting an error message about an
[unrecognized command in config.sys.  Does this command work, or am I
[doing something wrong.

A friend mentioned something about this to me a year ago and wrote to
Microsoft about it and they sent him a patch for it. He was using Dos 3.3
and once the patch was installed he had no more problems. You might try this.
The program was called PATCH33.COM. I haven't ried it myself, don't have the
drive yet. Good Luck.

 Hey, who else would you expect to be responsible for what I say?
           ----------(=-   Dagda Mor   -=)-----------
 Clark W. Coffman                        coffman@sparky.UUCP
 Fargo, N.D. -  701-232-9531             coffman@sparky.nodak.edu

leoh@hardy.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (12/07/89)

What does it take to get DRIVPARM to work with MSDOS4.01? ... I have been
following this thread, & tried the ^A & ^A^A^A suggestions, but to no avail.
Any other thoughts?

psfales@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (12/12/89)

After seeing several articles on this topic, it looks like it is
time to post this again.  It has already been reposted several times
(by me), in addition to the original posting.  I have no idea how
anyone found this out, but I have tried it on several different DOS 3.3
systems and it works great:

Date: 27 Feb 89 10:25:16 GMT

I did post this before, but I fear it got lost....

There is a simple way of making DRIVPARM work, at least on PC-DOS 3.3 (I have
tried it and it works). It is *extremely* baroque, but who cares?

Place three control-A characters (yes, the ASCII value 1) into the line
after the DRIVPARM= bit, before the parameters. If we represent CONTROL-A
as ^A, the line might look like this:

     DRIVPARM=^A^A^A/D:n /F:n   ... etc

I don't know why it works, but it sure does!
--
           Bob Eager
           rde@ukc.UUCP

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
N9IYJ            		2000 N. Naperville Rd.