[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Adding RAM to a Compaq 386/16

george@na.excelan.com (George Powers) (12/08/89)

We have many Compaq 386/16MHz systems with 2 MBytes of RAM.  To add
more, you apparently must add a piggyback board which is either
unavailable, or costs so much that you might as well buy a new system
(not a Compaq) with more RAM.  Is this true?  Is there any economical
way to upgrade these systems to 4-6 MBytes of RAM?  Does someone make a
clone product which undercuts Compaq's price?

--
UUCP: {ames,sun,apple,mtxinu,cae780,sco}!excelan!george  George Powers
Internet: george@excelan.com

jsa00564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/09/89)

/* Written  4:17 pm  Dec  7, 1989 by george@na.excelan.com in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
/* ---------- "Adding RAM to a Compaq 386/16" ---------- */
We have many Compaq 386/16MHz systems with 2 MBytes of RAM.  To add
more, you apparently must add a piggyback board which is either
unavailable, or costs so much that you might as well buy a new system
(not a Compaq) with more RAM.  Is this true?  Is there any economical
way to upgrade these systems to 4-6 MBytes of RAM?  Does someone make a
clone product which undercuts Compaq's price?

--
UUCP: {ames,sun,apple,mtxinu,cae780,sco}!excelan!george  George Powers
Internet: george@excelan.com
--
/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */

I believe Compaq should still have the 1MB or 4MB expansion "modules"
available for the 386/16.  We just bought one for one of our 386/20's,
which isn't much newer.  Compaq's memory prices are high (retail price),
but you can usually find it discounted.
  Also, several third party vendors (see back of PC Week, PC Mag, etc.)
are now producing "Compaq compatible" memory boards and modules.  I personally
haven't tried any yet, but one reliable mail order company says they have
had no problems with them.  Also, the price is <<half the price of Compaq
modules (for the 4MB at least).

Jeff Autor                      | "Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out"
j-autor@uiuc.edu                |  of my hat!"
At the University of Illinois   | "Again?"
                                | "Nuthin up my sleeve [riiiippppp]!
Also affiliated with:           |  Presto!"
Valmont Electric, Danville, IL  | [ROAR!]
                                | "No doubt about it, I gotta get me a
Opionions expressed are mine!   |  new hat..."

slin@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Steven Philip Lin) (12/12/89)

In article <111700177@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jsa00564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>/* Written  4:17 pm  Dec  7, 1989 by george@na.excelan.com in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>/* ---------- "Adding RAM to a Compaq 386/16" ---------- */
>. . .  Does someone make a
>clone product which undercuts Compaq's price?
>  Also, several third party vendors (see back of PC Week, PC Mag, etc.)
>are now producing "Compaq compatible" memory boards and modules.

     I believe Micronics Computers, Inc. located in Sunnyvale, CA sells
piggyback boards that are compatible with Compaq's 386/16.  Back when Micronics
was a startup company, their first product was a 16Mhz 386 computer which
used the same 32-bit memory slot as Compaq's, so that Compaq's memory cards
would work in Micronics' and vice versa.  You might want to give them a call
and see if they still sell them.  I'm almost certain that they do.
Hope this help.