[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HELP: 1.44M floppy on Wyse AT

jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Shekhel) (12/04/89)

I'm looking for help on configuring a 3.5" 1.44M floppy drive on a
Wyse Model 2108.  The machine came with DOS 3.2 and Phoenix BIOS 2.74.
The disk-based setup program doesn't know about high density 3.5"
drives.  I don't know about the BIOS.

If I could just get a newer setup program, I may be able to use the
drive with OS/2, since it bypasses the BIOS.  In the meantime I have
the drive configured as a 1.2M, which doesn't help me much when it
comes to using PS/2 diskettes.

Please help if possible.  Even one reply will be more than I can
get out of Wyse Tech Support -- the worst in the industry.
---
+--------------------+-----------------------+-------------------------------+
|                    |  Polygen Corporation  |           UUCP:               |
|  Jerry J. Shekhel  |   Waltham, MA 02254   |  {princeton, mit-eddie,       |
|                    |    (617) 890-2888     |  buita, sunne}!polygen!jerry  |
+--------------------+-----------------------+-------------------------------+

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (12/11/89)

In article <598@bogart.UUCP> jerry@bogart.UUCP (Jerry Shekhel) writes:
>I'm looking for help on configuring a 3.5" 1.44M floppy drive on a
>Wyse Model 2108.  The machine came with DOS 3.2 and Phoenix BIOS 2.74.
>The disk-based setup program doesn't know about high density 3.5"
>drives.  I don't know about the BIOS.
>Please help if possible.  Even one reply will be more than I can
>get out of Wyse Tech Support -- the worst in the industry.
>+--------------------+-----------------------+-------------------------------+
>|                    |  Polygen Corporation  |           UUCP:               |
>|  Jerry J. Shekhel  |   Waltham, MA 02254   |  {princeton, mit-eddie,       |
>|                    |    (617) 890-2888     |  buita, sunne}!polygen!jerry  |
>+--------------------+-----------------------+-------------------------------+

1. Are you using the Wyse WY-914 1.44MB 3.5" Diskette Drive?  Or are
   you trying to make someone else's work?
2. If you are using a Wyse drive, this setup should work just fine, we have
   done it several times.  I am assuming this is being added as a second
   drive.
3. If it is someone else's drive, then why are you complaining about Wyse
   Tech Support?  It is not their fault that someone else's drive does
   not include instructions on how to install.  The Wyse drives come with
   detailed instructions on how to assemble and get working, including
   all the appropriate jumper settings on the diskette (and resistor pack).

Not trying to flame, but blame the source of the problem, not the closest
person at hand.

--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..      Bob Willey        ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..

ear@wpi.wpi.edu (Eric A Rasmussen) (12/12/89)

If you cannot get ahold of another, newer setup program, there is always
the drivparm statement you can add to your config.sys file.  This tells dos
specifically what configuration of drive you have.  I don't remember what
the syntax is as I don't have a manual in front of me, but you should be able
to look it up in your dos manual.  Note, in some versions of dos you must use
device=driver.sys with the appropriate flags instead of the drivparm statment
in your config.sys file.