[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SIMPLE Word Processor - RESULTS ARE IN!!

gjp@sei.cmu.edu (George Pandelios) (12/12/89)

 Thank you Netlanders!!!!!!!!

I never dreamed I would receive such a FABULOUS response!  My heartfelt
thanks to all you super folks out there.  Here is the tally (in quasi-
alphabetic order within vote count):

		Product		Votes

	PFS: Professional Write	  13
	PFS: First Choice	   5
	PFS: Write	 	   3
	Q&A / Q&A Write		   3
	WordPerfect 5.0		   3
	IBM Writing Assistant	   2
	Microsoft Works		   2
	Microsoft Word		   2
	Sprint			   2
	Wordstar		   2
	Easy			   1
	Galaxy			   1
	GEM Desktop		   1
	IBM Text Assistant	   1
	Leading Edge		   1
	Lescript		   1
	Microsoft Windows	   1
	Peachtext		   1
	PC-Write		   1	(must be a zealot! ;^)
	Qedit			   1
	Quill			   1
	Sidekick		   1
	Softerm			   1
	Tandy Deskmate III	   1
	Tandy Deskview		   1
	Tandy Scripsit		   1
	VDE			   1
	Volkswriter Deluxe/Plus    1
	Webster Word Processor	   1
	Zenwrite		   1

	TOTAL (as of 12/4)	  55

From the response distribution, a look at PC Magazine's review of word
processors (February 29, 1988), and my own experiences, here are the
finalists:

	PFS: Professional Write
	PFS: First Choice
	Q&A Write
	Deskmate

Again, thanks!  Summary of responses follows signature.

George
  George J. Pandelios				ArpaNet:  gjp@sei.cmu.edu
  Software Engineering Institute		usenet:	  sei!gjp
  4500 Fifth Avenue				Voice:	  (412) 268-7186
  Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Disclaimer:  These opinions are my own and do not reflect those of the
	     Software Engineering Institute, its sponsors, customers,
	     clients, affiliates, or Carnegie-Mellon University.  In fact,
	     any resemblence of these opinions to any individual, living
	     or dead, fictional or real, is purely coincidental.  So there.

::::::::::::::
inbox/156
::::::::::::::

Have you looked at the student version of WordPerfect. Although
scaled-down, it still has lots of features. BUT, I think, it's
easy to use, and the features you don't use don't bother you.
--
Peter Dotzauer: Numerical Cartography Lab, Dept. of Geography, OSU, Columbus, OH
         VOICE: (614) 292-1357  FAX: 292-9180  DATA: 293-0081

Try the IBM writing assistant.  It has an easy start up menu, and
still it can do many (some) of the formatting things that you would
want to do such as underline, bold etc.  I got a copy when I bought
my PC, but I think that DAK has it for sale now for $30. or so.

Frank Robey
fcr@saturn.wustl.edu

::::::::::::::
inbox/160
::::::::::::::

You might want to have a look at Lescript, from Anitek Software,
PO Box 361136, Melbourne, FL 32936.  Pretty good package, easy to
use, almost intuitive (CTRL-P to print, CTRL-F to file a document,
CTRL-D to look at the directory, etc).  They have demo versions
available, a non-printing version for $2, and a printing version
for $9.95 (plus $3 for shipping).  Phone number is (407) 259-9397.
I'm just a satisfied customer; I've used Lescript on a Tandy 2000
for over four years now.

Good luck!

Bob Powell <rlp@beach.cis.ufl.edu>

::::::::::::::
inbox/163
::::::::::::::

My machine came bundled with a package from Zen Software Inc.
1439 Circle Ridge, Austin TX 78746
512-328-0100

The editor/word processor part (zw.exe - Zenwrite) is a small, easy
text editor/ simple word processor.  I would never use it for serious
work, and I don't use it for programming, but I use it almost every day
for editing short messages, batch files, configuration files, and
program documentation.  It only has the most primitive of printer drivers
(bold, italics, couple of font changes and that is about it), and works
entirely with pure ascii files (editor status is stored in binary following
the ^Z but that is optional).  Everything is done via lotus style menus
initiated with the ESC key, and it has simple macros.  It only does one file
at a time, but has a cut/paste buffer which you can shuffle stuff between
files with.  File size is limited only by memory.  I was seriously considering
giving it to my parents for similar usage.

Richard Brittain,                   School of Elect. Eng.,  Upson Hall
                                    Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
ARPA: richard@calvin.spp.cornell.edu
UUCP: {uunet,uw-beaver,rochester,cmcl2}!cornell!calvin!richard

::::::::::::::
inbox/164
::::::::::::::

Well - how about another Tandy product - Deskmate III?

It has pull-down menus similar to a Mac's, and what you see on the
screen is basically what you get on the printer.  Plus, it has a
spelling checker, and lots of other applications to boot.  Big plus,
it's cheap ($49).

My 1000 HX came with DeskMate II.  I use it a lot for basic things, it's
rather useful in its simple little way.  But DeskMate III is actually a
slightly more powerful package than the one I have now.  Buy it, you'll
save money by not buying a spreadsheet, paint program, music program, telecom
program, etc.

+ Murphy's law: The amount of bugs present  + Michael Murphy              +
+ in your program is inversely proportional + mm20302@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu    +
+ to the time you've spent working on the   + (^ most likely, or -- )     +
+ damn thing.                               + murphy@symcom.math.uiuc.edu +
--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
::::::::::::::
inbox/165
::::::::::::::

	There is a very simple and good editor called Qedit, you
can define your own command with this one.  Only one executable
file, which is about 60k, takes little memory.

Hai		li@utkux1.utk.edu (li)
::::::::::::::
inbox/168
::::::::::::::

My vote is for

PFS: Professional Write

--
<Dennis Lou>                     |"But Yossarian, what if everyone
pa1568@sdcc13.ucsd.edu           |                 thought that way?"
From: Edward Walker (GWD) <ewalk@BRL.MIL>

I don't know if this will reach you or not, but if it does,
one of the considerations should be Software Publishing Co.'s
Professional Write.  It is very easy to use and has a good manual.
Actually the word processor of their First Choice package is
almost as good, but that package has a spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
::::::::::::::
inbox/170
::::::::::::::
From: ean@gvlv3.GVL.Unisys.COM (Ed Naratil)

For a in-expensive, easy to use, word processor - check out Professional
Write.  A quick trip through the manual and away you go!  All functions
have available a 'F1' key HELP menu and user prompts abound. I use it all
the time that I can, when I can't I use Word Perfect (which is a dog -
don't use that if there is a way around it).
::::::::::::::
inbox/171
::::::::::::::
From: John Palmer <jpalmer@uwovax.uwo.ca>
To: gjp@sei.cmu.edu
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 08:15:19 est
Subject: Please recommend a SIMPLE Word Processor for my parents

	My wife swears that Volkswriter Deluxe is the easiest program in
the world to learn and use. Volkswriter Deluxe Plus adds a spelling checker
and is very inexpensive.

	My sons both just started right in on WordPerfect 5.0. It is fairly
simple and straight forward for basic, beginner stuff, yet it also has the
ability to grow with them as they learn more. My wife agrees that it is the
best word processor she has tried, and she now uses it, too.

--

 reply to jpalmer@uwovax.uwo.ca         The Economics Institute for Journalists
 London, Ontario CANADA N6A 5C2		Voice: (519) 661-3533     FAX: 661-3292

::::::::::::::
inbox/172
::::::::::::::
From: convex!harper@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (David Harper)

Not unlike my own situation except that my folks are in their early 80's.
Since there are very few computer literate people near them that they can
turn to for help, most of that has fallen on me, which is sometimes difficult
since they are in Florida and I am in Texas.  So you can imagine my surprise
when I found out that they had tracked down a package called PFS:First Choice
and learned it on their own.  I know very little about the package except
that it seems to satisfy their word processing needs and they are quite happy
with it.  Also, I think it is fairly inexpensive - a local discount house is
currently selling it (bundled with Quicken, a financial management tool) for
$89.  You should be able to find a pretty good price in Computer Shopper.
Good Luck.

Dave Harper    -     Convex Computer Corp.            E-mail address:
3000 Waterview Pky.  Richardson, TX 75081             harper@convex.COM
(214) 497-4525 (W)   (214) 727-4206 (H)

::::::::::::::
inbox/174
::::::::::::::
From: dank@chemserv.eng.umd.edu (Daniel R. Kuespert)

My father uses a word processor called "Easy"; I think the manufacturer is
MicroPro.  It's simple and entirely menu driven.  I wouldn't reccommend it
for anything lacking a hard drive---it's _very_ slow on my Dad's
Tandy 1000 with 2 floppies.  On an AT with hard disk, though, it should
run fine.

Hope this helps.

regards,
dan

Daniel R. Kuespert                 dank@eng.umd.edu
U. Maryland Chemical Engineering
Chemical Process Systems Laboratory
301/454-2810

::::::::::::::
inbox/177
::::::::::::::
From: kirsch@psych.toronto.edu

There are only three that I'm reasonably familiar with:  Multimate,
WordPerfect, and WordStar.

Since, I work in an office environment and find that "the simpler the better"
(as the majority of our secretaries are complete(!) airheads), I would not
recommend either Multimate or WordPerfect for the simple reason that
they don't have the option of a resident help screen.

Wordstar is readily learned by even the slowest, most hostile (toward
computers) people.  It has a help menu that has a few different levels,
which stays at the top of your screen.  Also, it comes with a "WSchange"
utility that allows you to configure the screen and many different options
to your liking.

I would recommend that you find a local computer store that would give
you a demonstration of WordStar and the WSchange utility (part of the same
package).  :-) Better yet, a store that would allow you to sit down
and play with it yourself!

Hope this helps,

Sofia

::::::::::::::
inbox/178
::::::::::::::
From: wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape)

	I find PC-Write to be very easy to use and it is shareware.  It
is menu drive, although I highly recommend a manual for reference.
On-line help is also available.

-bryon-

::::::::::::::
inbox/182
::::::::::::::
From: borkat@manta.nosc.mil (Franklin R. Borkat)

A good small editor for letters and such is VDE, the Video Display
Editor, by
                                  Eric Meyer
                            401 12th Ave SE, #139
                            Norman, OK  73071  USA

It is a free but copyrighted program.

Reprinted from the instruction manual of VDE.

======

                    Instructions for Video Display Editor:
                               VDE 1.40 (07/89)

                             (c)1987-89, E. Meyer

    VDE is a small, fast, powerful text editor with many standard
    features:

  * multiple files, windows           * block operations
  * subdirectory support              * wordwrap and reformat
  * find and replace                  * full DOS utilities
  * margins, tabs, spacing            * undo deletions
  * WordStar compatibility            * many print features
  * keystroke macros                  * configurable options

In addition, VDE has some unique features that you might not expect,
including

      * easy menu-bar operation OR WordStar command set
      * built-in word count function, file splitter, etc
      * automatic location of differences between versions of a file
      * automatic sequential numbering
      * full macro programming ability

     VDE is versatile: its small size and pure ASCII mode make it the
ideal programmer's editor, or companion to telecom, database, and other
application software; yet its full formatting and printing features also
make it an efficient word processor.

     VDE is fast: it is written in 8086 assembler; on IBM PCs, it writes
directly to video RAM; it operates entirely in memory, with no disk
access during editing.  Speed is a factor that more cumbersome
("full-featured?") programs overlook.  For example, finding a string
near the end of a 60K nondocument file takes WordStar 4 about 20 seconds
[8 MHz 8088]; VDE does it in half a second.  This is like moving through
air instead of molasses: you will find that you can do more of your work
on screen, and less on paper.

     VDE is small: about 40k, with no overlays or additional files.  It
can be configured not to make backup files.  It can work with as little
as 256K RAM. This is ideal for portable computers with limited space.

======

Minor limititation: limited document size of about 64K.

VDE140A, the latest version, is available from Simtel20 as VDE140A.ARC
from the MSDOS.EDTIOR directory.  Or I can mail you a 5-1/4 floppy with
it.
-------

::::::::::::::
inbox/184
::::::::::::::
From: Harold McMillan <mcmillan@cis.ohio-state.edu>

It sounds like the original PFS:Write would be perfect if you could
find a copy anymore.  I would look at PFS:Professional Write or
Q&A Write.  These have both gotten generally good reviews as being
easy-to-use.

Good luck,
	Hal
--
Hal McMillan                   |  "Government is the institutionalization
mcmillan@cis.ohio-state.edu    |   of the desire to live off others"
From: gny@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Brian L Hanson)

George,

I would suggest Professional Write 2.0.  It's very easy to use and is
inexspensive (< $100).  All of the menus are under 6 function keys, yet can
also be reached by CTRL-<key> combinations.  Help can be obtained from
anywhere, and is context specific when you are in a menu.

Check it out.

Brian L. Hanson
	gny@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

::::::::::::::
inbox/186
::::::::::::::
Try Tandy's Scripsit program. Really.
It's very easy to learn, is complete, and feature-rich-but-not-difficult.
Tandy has a 30-day moneyback, so no need to worry about money down the
drain.

-- Dave Burton
--
Dave Burton
uunet!ism780c!laidbak!daveb

::::::::::::::
inbox/187
::::::::::::::
Software Publishing offers a number of sound programs for beginners.
"First Choice" comes to mind, which includes a word-processing
function with other capabilities, as I remember.   My first
word-processor was their PFS-WRITE, now replaced by PFS Professional
Write.  PFS-WRITE was just the kind of s/w you are seeking.  I was up
and running in 20 minutes.

But there are quite a lot of other good choices.  Q&A includes a
word-processor in the spirit of PFS-WRITE.  It's very popular with
novices.  And there is Leading-Edge's LEWP, another favorite.

But whatever you do, have them avoid WordPerfect like the plague.  It
makes PC-WRITE seem like child's play.
---
Gary L. Barrett

My employer may or may not agree with my opinions.
And I may or may not agree with my employer's opinions.

::::::::::::::
inbox/189
::::::::::::::
From: "Jim Achuff" <JRA102%PSUVM.BITNET@vma.cc.cmu.edu>

I'd recommend IBMs Writing Assistant. I belive it is PD or shareware, and
it is quite simple to use. If need be, I'd be glad to round up a copy, upload
it, and e-mail it to you. Hope this helps. if there are any questions I can
answer for you, please ask.
-------
    First you must believe - then you can understand  :  __  /\      :
 =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=: |  ||  ||  | :
  Jim Achuff                :  JRA102@PSUVM.PSU.EDU   : |__||__ |  | :
  125 Beaver Hall           :   JRA102@PSUVM.BITNET   : |      ||  | :
  University Park, PA 16802 :JRA102%PSUVM@PSUVAX1.UUCP: |   |  ||__| :
  (814)-862-8612            : JRA102%PSUVM@CS.PSU.EDU :      \/      :

::::::::::::::
inbox/191
::::::::::::::
From: metaphor!aspen!ammon@decwrl.dec.com (Mike Ammon)

Webster's Word Processor  $75 with spelling checker
( The Dictionary Company )

Basic easy to use word processor.  Use arrows to move arround.
Page-up, page-down goes to next/previous screen.
Underline and bold but no fonts.  Sold in most software stores.

Mike Ammon	ammon@metaphor.com

::::::::::::::
inbox/192
::::::::::::::
From: bdn@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Bryan D. Nehl)

I try the shareware program GALAXY.  It is simple and fast.
Easy to use.  F1 is help to a menu line.  Takes wordstar key commands
as well as it's own.

Bryan.

|     Big Bad Bear Beasties Inc.    |   Bryan Nehl                 |
|     kodiak@ksuvm.ksu.edu          |   bdn@phobos.cis.ksu.edu	   |
|--- ...!{rutgers|texbell}!ksuvax1!phobos.cis.ksu.edu!bdn   -------|

::::::::::::::
inbox/193
::::::::::::::
From: "Bill Warner" <WTW101%PSUVM.BITNET@vma.cc.cmu.edu>

I have found "Professional Write" (a.k.a. PFS:Write, in the past) very
easy to use, and it produces attractive output without any work on the
user's part. (Just type and print - no formatting commands, etc.)

Also, Tandy's Deskmate, which may have come with their computer, is pretty
easy to use.  I have the old (Text mode) version, and it's very easy to use.

Please write back if you have any questions about these products.

Later,

Bill Warner
wtw101@psuvm

::::::::::::::
inbox/195
::::::::::::::
From: Colin Sachs <csachs@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu>

Have them try our PFS:Professional Write by Software Publishing.  It lists
for $199.00 but can be bought mail order for around $140.00 (Advantage
Software sells it for $135.00 w/out postage cost - they can be reached at
1-800-333-3141 or vias post at 1163 Shrewsbury Ave., Shrewsbuty NJ 07702).

The program is simple to use, having every command accessible via pull-down
menus controlled by function keys.  There is even an online help screen for
every meny and every command within each menu, not to mention general help.
For speedy users, most commands have Ctrl-character combinations, but they
are not needed to use the software.  As far as easy of use goes, there isn't
much out there that isn't feature over-ridden and ctrl/alt key happy.

Good Luck
Colin Sachs

::::::::::::::
inbox/200
::::::::::::::
From: Greg Cook <gcook@horus.cem.msu.edu>

The first thing that comes to mind would be PFS Professional Write.

I don't use it because it is limited in its features, but would be ideal
for your parents.  It has very nice "eye appeal" (ie. it looks nice on the
screen).  There are pop down menus along the top of the screen and has
the basic word processing features (bold, center, underline, spelling
checker, even draws lines, etc.).

Check it out!

::::::::::::::
inbox/201
::::::::::::::
From: Pat Hirayama <sumax!hirayama@beaver.cs.washington.edu>

George,

I think that you might look at either PFS: Professional Write, or
PFS: First Choice.  PW is a full fledged word processor, but retains
enough of the simple designs of the old PFS:Write.  FC is an integrated
package, like Microsoft Works, but cheaper and easier.

The benefit of PW is that it is simple, has a built-in glossary, etc.
All of the features you expect a word processor to have.  (Also a
built-in thesaurus and an address book -- useful for getting addresses
or doing mail-merges).

First Choice is essentially a stripped-down version of PW, though, I
don't recall what was stripped down.  It might be confusing for your
parents if they will never use the spreadsheet/database/communications
modules, and start to wonder what all of that stuff is. :)

The basic idea is that you are given a piece of paper, and you type.
You can highlight text and do some formatting (bold, italic, underlining),
or use the quick keys (Alt-B, Alt-I and Alt-U, respectively).  It is a lot
like a typewriter in most respects.  It follows the pull-down menu
approach that is found on many more applications today, than when it
first came out.  There is a short 26 page tutorial ... consisting of
mainly largish diagrams showing you the screens.

At any rate, those two are the easiest MS-DOS word processors I know of.

						Pat

--
    Pat Hirayama * Microcomputer Support     | "On the Starship Enterprise,
   Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center    |  no one is alone...no one."

::::::::::::::
inbox/203
::::::::::::::
From: mm42@prism.gatech.edu (Mark Mitchell)

George:  Microsoft Word is pretty simple.  I taught my wife how to use
         it in about 15 minutes.  It's not as good without a mouse, though.
Your Org. line said Carnegie-Mellon, no?  If so you should be able to
but the academic version of Word for peanuts.  (Like <$100).

--
   "Listen, strange women lying in ponds    |   Mark Mitchell  Georgia Tech
    distributing swords is no basis for a   |   GTRI/STL/MSD   Atlanta, GA

::::::::::::::
inbox/204
::::::::::::::
From: gsmith.@afit-ab.arpa (George H. Smith)

 I HAVE USED SERVERAL TYPES OF WORD PROCESSORS AND THE EASIEST ONE

THAT I HAVE FOUND WAS PEACHTEXT.  IT IS VERY USER FRIENDLY AND COMES

WITH EASY TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTION.  I WOULD ALSO RECOMMEND WORD STAR VER. 5.0

BUT IN MY OPINION PECHTEXT IS THE EASIEST TO USE.

::::::::::::::
inbox/205
::::::::::::::
From: RAMontante <bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

For one end of the intuitive/powerful spectrum, let me suggest ...

Sidekick.  It will only do basic word-processing, but it gives some
basic abilities in a straightforward manner.  It has been very reliable
for me, and it might be enough to get your parents into a receptive
frame of mind for more involved word-procs.  Set it up as a WYSIWYG
processor for typewriters --- they won't see anything fancy, but they
won't create anything fancy, either; and getting what they expect may be
preferable.

::::::::::::::
inbox/207
::::::::::::::
From: andyross@ddsw1.mcs.com (Andrew Rossmann)
To: gjp@sei.cmu.edu
Date: Thu Nov 30 19:38:04 1989

  One you might look into is SPRINT by Borland. It comes with a multitude
of user interfaces. Three native to it, and several other that emulate
other programs such as Wordstar, WordPerfect, Microsoft Word, EMACS and
SideKick.
  The native interfaces are Tutorial, Basic, and Borland (full feature.)
All allow access to all command by first hitting F10 for the Main Menu. You
can then just cursor to what you want and hit enter, and so on down the
menus.
  On-line help is available at all times by hitting F1.
  The list price is $199, but is usually available for $150 or less.
  ALthough it doesn't have quite all the power of Word Perfect, or true
WYSIWYG, it holds up quite well on it's own. A really technical person can
even write their own user interfaces! I added support for 132 column modes
on my system by only adding a few lines to the setup library.

  Andrew Rossmann
  andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM

::::::::::::::
inbox/208
::::::::::::::
From: munnari!yarra.oz.au!chris@uunet.UU.NET (Chris Jankowski)

Maybe you should do some lateral thinking and say do they really need
a wordprocessor? I myself stopped using MS WORD because it was to hard
remember all commands and I only need it once in a blue moon.
What about a simple editor. For all my wordprocessing on a PC
I use a simple editor which came with a data communication
package called SOFTERM. It has tremendous advantage - all commands
fit on half a page and I keep it stuck to the PC.
Sure you do not get bolding, proportional spacing
but who cares. I still can my text neatly printed
and most important keep it for later reuse.
I am pretty sure that many PC products come with
small editors on a side. Try this approach.

I definitely can recommend SOFTERM editor.
In fact I may also recommend SOFTERM as a serial comms. program.

Hope this helps.

      -m-------   Chris Jankowski - Senior Systems Engineer chris@yarra.oz{.au}
    ---mmm-----   Pyramid Technology Corporation Pty. Ltd.  fax  +61 3 820 0536
  -----mmmmm---   11th Floor, 14 Queens Road                tel. +61 3 820 0711
-------mmmmmmm-   Melbourne, Victoria, 3004       AUSTRALIA       (03) 820 0711

``If you're crossing the nation in a covered wagon, it's better to have four
  strong oxen than 100 chickens.  Chickens are OK but we can't make them work
  together yet.'' - Ross Bott, Pyramid U.S., on multiprocessors at AUUGM '89.

::::::::::::::
inbox/209
::::::::::::::
From: jdu@ihlpb.att.com (John D Unruh)

I have a copy of Borland's Sprint.  I bought it mostly becuase it is cheap.
It does an adequate job, and isn't too complicated if you don't try to use
any of  the fancy features.  MS Word, at least on the Mac, is pretty easy
if you just do the basic stuff, too.
John Unruh

::::::::::::::
inbox/210
::::::::::::::
From: lpb@homxc.att.com (Louis P Barbuscio)

If you want simple you might be better off with the little word processor
applications that come as part of the multifunction type packages.  These
are often mouse driven selectables that give you a desk calculator, a clock,
a calendar, a reminder and some kind of simple note writer.  These are usually
paterned after MS Windows office environment. (I don't suggest windows
for your parents because it's such a space hog).  GEM's Desktop or Radio
Shack's Deskview are possibilities.  The trouble with the biggies like
Wordperfect, Samna VI, MS Word is they are targetted for the office
Secretary and more and more toward Laser Printers and Desk Top Publishing
capabilities.  This results in all sorts of cryptic usage of function
keys (Wordperfect has 4 uses for every Function Key [reg, shift, alt & ctl])
or uses for alphabet keys with alt and ctrl (Samna).  The point is if
you don't live with it 8 hours a day you don't remember what they are.
Whereas the multifunction packages throw in the little wordprocessor
as an afterthought just to say they have it and they usually are no
more complicated than a typewriter (if a typewriter arrow keys and pg up & dn).
Lou Barbuscio, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ, lpb@cbnewsi 201-949-7687
Disclaimer:                           |  "Happy the man whose mouth (or
After 34 years I'm not sure if I speak|   keyboard) brings him no grief "
for the company or it speaks for me.  |                 Sirach 14:1

::::::::::::::
inbox/211
::::::::::::::
From: drv@lzatt.att.com (Dennis R Vogel)

I, for one, would be interested in the responses you get.
I am lookinf for the same thing for my 14 year old daughter.
I need minimal features, like word wrap and page numbering.
I am looking at PC-Write and others to see if I can extract a
small number of commands that will handle most of her needs.

Anything you get will help me determine which programs to
look at and which to leave alone.

Dennis R. Vogel
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Lincroft, NJ

::::::::::::::
inbox/212
::::::::::::::
From: Hemmo (J.Hemminki) <k32393v@saha.hut.fi>

Word Processor that I would like to suggest is Wordperfect, altough it has
various features, but the basic commands are simple to use (function keys)
and the Template is fairly good. And if your parents get interested on doing
something more than just the basic text editing the program is still useful.

For me the tutorials seem to be enough for anybody to learn the program.

--
                               - H E M M O -
                               Juha Hemminki

::::::::::::::
inbox/213
::::::::::::::
From: IMMISCH%nbivax.nbi.dk@vma.cc.cmu.edu

HI GEORGE!

 I have only had good experience with the IBM Tekst Assistent, thats the
danish name, in english it would be IBM Text Assistant. It's REAL easy to
use and you don't have to worry about the fancy features, if you don't need
them. The program is STUFFED with help, that can be called by pressing F1.

Hope that will help you a little

   Torben Immisch, Copenhagen, Denmark

::::::::::::::
inbox/214
::::::::::::::
From: ericz@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Eric Zamost)

     I would suggest that you try PFS Pro-Write.  I have not seen the
latest version, but the previous one was what I suggest for my own
relatives who won't use WordPerfect 5.0 (Which itself may be easier to
use with pull-down menus and mouse support in version 5.1).  If you
have more questions, ask me.

                            Thanks,
                                   Eric.

|   ericz@ucscb.ucsc.edu   -    Eric Zamost   -   (408) 426-9530    |

|           I don't EXPRESS opinions, I state FACTS.   :-)   :-)    |

::::::::::::::
inbox/216
::::::::::::::
From: finn@mojo.nec.com (Finn Markmanrud)

Having used several word processors, from First Choice (all-in-one package) to
WordPerfect, I believe the easiest to use, without loosing too many features,
is "pfs:Professional Write." It has menus, but also allows use of function
keys and Alt, Control combinations (Alt-S to save, Alt-G to get doc's, etc.).
It also allows saving in Ascii, as well as Wordstar & WordPerfect files. This
is great if they sometimes need a special font not available in Prof. Write
(this is one of the limitations - very few fonts). You can import the Ascii
into any other Word Processor, and print it for them.
My parents (only in their 50's, but very afraid of computers) use it and love
it. Give it a try! It doesn't get much simpler, unless you go to a package
like First Choice. This has spread sheets etc. too, which you don't need, as
well as communications s/w. Besides, I don't think it will let you save as
Ascii.
Hope this helps.

---
+=====================+========================+=============================+
|   Finn Markmanrud   |   finn@mojo.nec.com    |   "It can't happen here."   |
|   (508) 264 8668    |      Boxboro, MA       |                     F.Z.    |
+=====================+========================+=============================+

::::::::::::::
inbox/217
::::::::::::::
From: Jan Hofland <janh@hplsla.hp.com>

George,

Try PFS First Choice or Microsoft Works.  These two programs are integrated
packages including word processors, data base program, and a spreadsheet.
I have both packages.  Most of my experience is with First Choice.  It's
pretty simple to use, includes a spelling checker, and a help facility.

Either of these packages can be purchased mail order for less than $100.

Regards,

Jan Hofland

::::::::::::::
inbox/218
::::::::::::::
From: Joel Spolsky <spolsky-joel@YALE.ARPA>

Actually I have found that the word processor that comes with
Microsoft Windows is very easy for non computer users to learn
quickly.

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1538 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
                                                      #include <disclaimer.h>

::::::::::::::
inbox/221
::::::::::::::
From: gtm@mtung.ATT.COM (Gerald Maziarski)

RE: SIMPLE WP

Try Q&A Write by Symantec.  It is one of the easiest to learn word pro.s
I have ever used ( and I've used a lot : Wordperfect, Wordstar, DW3, MSWord ).

The price is about $100 discount.  Symantec gives wonderful phone support,
also.  There are a bunch of built in features ( data cards, label maker );
but these can be easily ignored, as they don't intersect with the editor's
command set. It even includes a spell checker.

I learned to use it without looking much at the manual ( just used the `getting
started booklet' ).  All you really need to know is that the function key F1
gets you context sensitive help. The rest is cake.

And oh yes.  I still haven't found any "bugs" in it.

						Jerry Maziarski
						attmail!gmaziarski

::::::::::::::
inbox/221
::::::::::::::
From: Kees van der Wal <JC_vdWal%pttrnl.nl@vma.cc.cmu.edu>

I would suggest QUILL by the British company Psion. Versions exist for the
Apricot, the Sinclair QL and the PC.

The program has a help menu at the top of the screen. All basic functions
are available (like setting margins, left/center/right adjust, header/footer at
each page, normal/bold/underline/superscript/subscript etc.). The only thing I
don't like is the search-and-replace function; you *must* acknowledge every
replace.

My father (64) uses it for some years now; my mother is trying hard ...

Kees  van der Wal                                 e-mail: JC_vdWal@pttrnl.nl
PTT Research Neher Laboratories
P.O. Box 421
2260 AK  Leidschendam  The Netherlands                 Phone: +31 70 3436295
Obsolete e-address:  WALVDRK@HLSDNL5   and   WALVDRK%HLSDNL5@CUNYVM.cuny.edu
^^^^^^^^

::::::::::::::
inbox/223
::::::::::::::
From: Gary Lee <garylee@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.EDU>

I would highly recomend PFS: Professional Write. It has context sensitive
help. and even has a spell checker w/thesaurus.

I understand that there may even be copies @ some RS' that were used for
promotional purposes, and they can be had for only about $40.

This was sometime last Christmas as I recall, so you might have to try
real hard to find a store with the special pack. If you have no luck, then
you might consider the version they have off the shelf, but it costs much
more (>$200).

Good luck,
Gary

::::::::::::::
inbox/224
::::::::::::::
From: Pete Holzmann <pete@Octopus.COM>

Almost certainly your best choice is Microsoft Works.

o It comes with a really handy first-timer's tutorial on using DOS
o It is VERY simple
o It does the basics
o It is actually an integrated package- in addition to Word processing,
	it lets you manage simple lists, do a little bit of spreadsheet
	stuff, and a little graphics. But it all works the same way, so
	there's nothing special to learn.

Works is designed from the ground up for the beginning beginner.

I'm not a user, just a recommender, to a variety of happy clients!

Pete

--
Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises   |(if you're a techie Christian & are
19611 La Mar Ct., Cupertino, CA 95014 |interested in helping w/ the Great