[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Microsoft C

tessler@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Ira Tessler) (11/30/86)

Can anyone let me know how one sets up ( the names of) the directorys
for
using microsoft c version 4.00. My include <sometime> are not working
because msc cannot find the include directory.

			thanks,
			....topaz!tessler

ps I need this info as soon as possibe.

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) (11/30/86)

In article <7388@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU>, tessler@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Ira Tessler) writes:
> Can anyone let me know how one sets up ( the names of) the directorys
> for
> using microsoft c version 4.00. My include <sometime> are not working
> because msc cannot find the include directory.

Read the "Getting Started" section of the Microsoft manual (the manual that
comes with each legitmately purchased copy of the compiler).  It tells you
exactly how to set up your directories.

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

jkg@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Jim Greenlee) (12/01/86)

In article <6473@ut-sally.UUCP> nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:
>In article <7388@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU>, tessler@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Ira Tessler) writes:
>> Can anyone let me know how one sets up ( the names of) the directorys
>> for using microsoft c version 4.00. My include <sometime> are not working
>> because msc cannot find the include directory.

>Read the "Getting Started" section of the Microsoft manual (the manual that
>comes with each legitmately purchased copy of the compiler).  It tells you
>exactly how to set up your directories.

Well, isn't this a fine attitude to have! Not only is this reply absolutely
useless, but it unjustifiably implies that this person may have acquired
his copy of Microsoft C in a less than legal manner. Isn't a person still
innocent until proven guilty in this country?

It is entirely possible that Mr. Tessler has read the section of the manual
that was cited and doesn't understand it. It wouldn't be the first time that
a computer manual was less than adequate. It is also possible that, for any
of a number of perfectly legitimate reasons, Mr. Tessler does not have access
to that section of the manual.

It is bad enough that the alleged "software piracy" problem (please, please,
please! - let's not start a discussion about this, because it won't solve
anything!) has everybody paranoid, but that's no reason to refuse to help
somebody with a problem just because it LOOKS to you like they may have
pirated copy. Like my mother used to say - "If you can't say anything nice,
then don't say anything at all."

                                                Jim Greenlee

--
The Shadow...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!jkg

Jryy, abj lbh'ir tbar naq qbar vg! Whfg unq gb xrrc svqqyvat jvgu vg hagvy lbh
oebxr vg, qvqa'g lbh?!

speter@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Peter Osgood) (12/01/86)

In article <7388@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> tessler@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Ira Tessler) writes:

>Can anyone let me know how one sets up ( the names of) the directorys
>for
>using microsoft c version 4.00. My include <sometime> are not working
>because msc cannot find the include directory.
>

>			thanks,
>			....topaz!tessler

C:\bin    c:\lib   c:\include

make sure your path = each of the above.

tjk9747@acf3.UUCP (Tom Kessler) (12/01/86)

Actually you might be having trouble with some of the dos variables as
I recall I had some trouble (sometimes things would work sometimes not)
because I did'nt follow the path with a / (or \ depending which religion
you follow) and a ;.  That is
SET INCLUDE=/msc/include
did not work but,
SET INCLUDE=/msc/include/
did work (sometimes)
and
SET INCLUDE=/msc/include/;
seems to work all of the time.  I don't work where I have access to msc any
more so this is from memory (last June).  Hope it helps.

myxm@lanl.ARPA (Mike Mitchell) (12/02/86)

to make this work, use the following in your autoexec.bat

set LIB=c:\lib
set INCLUDE=c:\include
set TMP=c:\

()
mike mitchell
uucp: cmcl2!lanl!myxm
arpa: myxm@lanl.arpa

cjdb@sphinx.UUCP (12/11/86)

In article <10041@lanl.ARPA> myxm@a.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:
>to make this work, use the following in your autoexec.bat
>
>set LIB=c:\lib
>set INCLUDE=c:\include
>set TMP=c:\
>
>()
>mike mitchell
>uucp: cmcl2!lanl!myxm
>arpa: myxm@lanl.arpa

And then do a "set" at the DOS prompt to double-check that you haven't
run out of environment space (which DOS should tell you anyway)
somewhere in the middle of the autoexec. (Quite possible if you start
out setting a long path, etc.) "Set" will show you all the environment
variables that are set.

--
Charles Blair   			    ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!cjdb
The University of Chicago		          PMRCJDB@UCHIMVS1.Bitnet

wmam@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (tony mason) (12/13/86)

In article <890@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> cjdb@sphinx.UUCP (Charles Blair) writes:
>In article <10041@lanl.ARPA> myxm@a.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:
>>to make this work, use the following in your autoexec.bat
>>
>>set LIB=c:\lib
>>set INCLUDE=c:\include
>>set TMP=c:\
>And then do a "set" at the DOS prompt to double-check that you haven't
>run out of environment space (which DOS should tell you anyway)
>somewhere in the middle of the autoexec. (Quite possible if you start
>out setting a long path, etc.) "Set" will show you all the environment
>variables that are set.

With Microsoft C version 4 there is a utility setenv which expands the size
of the environment in pre-version 3.2 MS-DOS (3.2 has a documented /e switch,
and 3.1 has an undocumented /e switch to set environment size).

--
Tony Mason   >>>>>>>>>>>>>>  University of Chicago
uucp:  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!wmam, ...ihnp4!gargoyle!euler!tony

peter@pawl.rpi.edu (Peter Katsos) (09/22/89)

For Sale

	Microsoft C compiler version 4.0
	--------------------------------

	Includes all manuals and master disks.
	Excellent condition.

	Price: $50 or best offer

	Microsoft Word version 3.1
	--------------------------

	Includes all manuals and master disks.
	Excellent condition.

	Microsoft Windows version 1.4 thrown
	in at no extra cost!
        (complete with manual and disks)

	Price: $50 or best offer

If interested, please send email.

--
Peter Katsos
peter@pawl.rpi.edu

massey@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Todd Massey) (12/12/89)

I need information on microsoft c...
I need to know the exact code that makes up __chkstk in the
libraries.   The reason behind this is because everytime i make
my own stack within a isr and call a routine written in c i get
a runtime error caused by this routine that gives a stack overflow
error

Thanks
Todd

===============\==============================================================
Todd Massey     \ Don't write in starlight cause the words may come out real
E-mail: massey@  \ Don't dream of women for they will only bring you down
 typhoon.atmos.   \ Don't hide in doorways, for you may find the key that
 colostate.edu     \             opens up your soul!!!!
====================\=========================================================

pelegrin@geocub.greco-prog.fr (12/12/89)

In article <3436@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> massey@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Todd Massey) writes:
>I need information on microsoft c...
>I need to know the exact code that makes up __chkstk in the
>libraries.   The reason behind this is because everytime i make
>my own stack within a isr and call a routine written in c i get
>a runtime error caused by this routine that gives a stack overflow
>error

 No need to if you use MSC 5.0 or higher : they have a "#" command which
disables and enables the stack checking sequence at will. cf the manual...
                              f.p.
! Zeu<FP> : The craziest programmer in France !          _________           !
!---------------------------------------------!      /   |        \   \      !
! Francois Pellegrini is :                    !     /    |__   ___/    \     !
!         pelegrin@goofi.greco-prog.fr        !     \    |     |       /     !
!   uunet!mcsun!inria!geocub!goofi!pelegrin   !      \   |     |      /      !
!            pelegrin@goofi.UUCP              !                              !

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (12/12/89)

In article <3436@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> massey@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Todd Massey) writes:
>I need information on microsoft c...
>I need to know the exact code that makes up __chkstk in the
>libraries.   The reason behind this is because everytime i make
>my own stack within a isr and call a routine written in c i get
>a runtime error caused by this routine that gives a stack overflow
>error
>
>Thanks
>Todd

Todd:

I would suggest that when compiling the module which contains your isr that you
should use the -Gs switch on MSC. This removes the call to __chkstk in the
generated code.

This is also a good idea when doing TSRprograms, too, since they often run
with no stack, or lean on DOS or their "host" program for stack space.

Fred

pipkins@qmsseq.imagen.com (Jeff Pipkins) (12/13/89)

In article <3436@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> massey@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Todd Massey) writes:
>I need to know the exact code that makes up __chkstk in the
>libraries.   The reason behind this is because everytime i make
>my own stack within a isr and call a routine written in c i get
>a runtime error caused by this routine that gives a stack overflow
>error

The __chkstk function ASSumes that you are using the stack setup by
the C startup code.  If you use a different stack, it will... well, I
guess you know.

To prevent calls to __chkstk in your code, compile it with the "no stack
checking" option.  If you have an assembly-language function that
calls a C function, and that C function makes a call to __chkstk (e.g.,
if it's a compiled library function), then define a dummy function
to keep the linker from linking in __chkstk.  In C, just put

void __chkstk() { }

in the top of your file.  This will prevent the linker from looking for
the __chkstk() function in the libraries.

Good luck.