[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Ventura

ajayshah@castor.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (12/11/89)

I'm one of those who swear by Ventura v2, especially including Tables
and Equations.

Obviously, i've screamed in agony while the hard disk was thrashed
up (with not enough free memory to do good disk cacheing) and some
of my pages hit "out of memory" and LIM memory didn't work too well.

Well, the question is: any signs of Ventura for OS/2?  Not that i love
OS/2 or PM (PM sucks!!) but it'll have memory enough to sing.  Any
ideas on when?

Ajay Shah, (213)747-9991, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.

akm@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (12/11/89)

According to PC Week or InfoWorld (I can't remember which), Xerox is
working on ventura for both PM as well as for Windows. I don't
remember the release dates, but I seem to remember something like the
second quarter '90.

I also read somewhere that Ventura was "lagging behind" or some such
thing, and that Xerox had recently revamped their Ventura support, and
was revitalizing that department.

kartik

Anant Kartik Mithal					akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Department of Computer Science				akm@oregon.BITNET
University of Oregon

geller@tfd.UUCP (David Geller) (12/13/89)

In article <6976@chaph.usc.edu>, ajayshah@castor.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

> I'm one of those who swear by Ventura v2, especially including Tables
> and Equations.
>
> Well, the question is: any signs of Ventura for OS/2?  Not that i love
> OS/2 or PM (PM sucks!!) but it'll have memory enough to sing.  Any
> ideas on when?

I'm quite sure most folks in this forum don't share your evaluation of
Presentation Manager. If you don't like it, I suggest you stick with the
GEM based version of Ventura. As for needing memory, Ventura 2.0 under
GEM can use up to 16 Mbytes of expanded memory. Today. Now. Just buy it and
try it.

As for an OS/2 version...expect one, along with a Windows 3.0 version and
an updated GEM version 1st quarter of 1990 - yup; right around the corner.
All three products will function the same. A MAC version will likely follow
a few months later.

Also, the folks at Ventura (not Xerox) aren't vaporware merchants. Their
OS/2 product was shown almost a year ago. It's been updated for OS/2 1.2
and WILL be on the shelves soon.

David Geller
Electric Logic, Inc.
Washington, D.C.