[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Anyone know about logitech mice?

garylee@yukon.scl.cwru.edu (Gary Lee) (12/07/89)

I was able to get a great deal on a used Logitech mouse. At least I'm
hoping it is a great deal. I did not receive any drivers or docs with it.
I do however have some Microsoft drivers and something called map.sys
which a friend suggested I try.

Here's my problem:
When I first bought the mouse, I plugged it into a nearby computer's serial
port in place of a microsoft mouse. Oh, BTW this is a SERIAL mouse. Anyhow,
except for it being erratic, it seemed to work fine. I rebooted the computer
to reload the Microsoft driver (6.10 I think), and everything's fine.

When I get home, I plugged it in to my serial port and started-up my machine.
The driver could not find the mouse. I do have a microsoft mouse and it works.
I tried the mouse again on the original computer and it worked only once. This
time when I re-loaded the driver (via reboot) the driver could not find the
mouse again.

This is perplexing. I did check the cable and all the conducters are in good
shape and there are no obvious flaws (ie cracks) on the pc board.

Someone said that I might need a special driver, but I doubt that. However
I am not a mouse expert and have only experience with my microsoft one.

I would appreciate all helpful advice.

Gary

bei@puzzle.UUCP (Bob Izenberg) (12/07/89)

In article <1989Dec7.042835.13909@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> garylee@yukon.UUCP (Gary Lee) writes:
>I was able to get a great deal on a used Logitech mouse. At least I'm
>hoping it is a great deal. I did not receive any drivers or docs with it.
>I do however have some Microsoft drivers and something called map.sys
>which a friend suggested I try.
> [ tale of woe deleted ]
>Someone said that I might need a special driver, but I doubt that. However

Just to be safe, stick with the driver that the manufacturer made.  You'll
probably be more, ahem, mousified, if you call Logitech and ask for the Plus
Disk (version 3.4?  That's the last version for the old mouse I have.) and
the driver software.  If for no other reason than to get their menu
compiler, which a certain Redmond, WA firm sells their version of as an
add-on item.  For someone who writes their own menus, Logitech has always
had Microsloth beat.  Oh yeah, I forgot to say "IMHO."  In their mouse
menu kit, Microsoft provides an executable Wordstar (and others) menu,
but you can't modify it (not without patching it) and can't produce
standalone menus like it.
-- Bob
                     Bob Izenberg [ ] Ralph Kirkley Associates
         attctc!puzzle!bei  (or)   cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!evil-ed!bei

akm@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (12/08/89)

In article <15@puzzle.UUCP> bei@puzzle.UUCP (Bob Izenberg) writes:
>In article <1989Dec7.042835.13909@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> garylee@yukon.UUCP (Gary Lee) writes:
>>I was able to get a great deal on a used Logitech mouse. At least I'm
>>hoping it is a great deal. I did not receive any drivers or docs with it.
>Just to be safe, stick with the driver that the manufacturer made.  You'll
>probably be more, ahem, mousified, if you call Logitech and ask for the Plus
>Disk (version 3.4?  That's the last version for the old mouse I have.) and
>the driver software.  If for no other reason than to get their menu

Assuming you have the 3-button C-7 mouse, the latest version of the driver
is available from the logitech bbs, whose number is (415) 795 0408

It is (something like) 4.1.

kartik
Anant Kartik Mithal					akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Department of Computer Science				akm@oregon.BITNET
University of Oregon

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (12/09/89)

Regarding Logitech software, they have a BBS where you can download
latest versions of driver software: 415 795 0408.

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP           919 286 0411

umrafiq@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Salik "slick" Rafiq) (12/13/89)

In article <15@puzzle.UUCP> bei@puzzle.UUCP (Bob Izenberg) writes:
>In article <1989Dec7.042835.13909@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> garylee@yukon.UUCP (Gary Lee) writes:
>>I was able to get a great deal on a used Logitech mouse. At least I'm
>>hoping it is a great deal. I did not receive any drivers or docs with it.
>>I do however have some Microsoft drivers and something called map.sys
>>which a friend suggested I try.
>> [ tale of woe deleted ]
>>Someone said that I might need a special driver, but I doubt that. However
>
>Just to be safe, stick with the driver that the manufacturer made.  You'll
>probably be more, ahem, mousified, if you call Logitech and ask for the Plus
>Disk (version 3.4?  That's the last version for the old mouse I have.) and
>the driver software.  If for no other reason than to get their menu
>compiler, which a certain Redmond, WA firm sells their version of as an
[stuff deleted]
 The latest version of the software is 4.00, I don't know if POP-UP-DOS
is included.