[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 8-bit stereo sound for PC's

ear@wpi.wpi.edu (Eric A Rasmussen) (12/08/89)

As a sort of informal market survey, I would like to ask the owners of IBM
PC's or clones (NOT PS/2's) if they would consider purchasing a sound card for
their machine capable of playing 8-bit stereo samples.  This would give the PC
sound rivaling that of the Amiga and Macintosh.  One advantage of this card
over other 8-bit sound cards for the PC would be that it would use DMA for
playback, and that it would offer two channel playback.  Also, the sample
rates would be variable, in steps, up to a maximum of 44 khz, which is better
than both the Amiga and Macintosh offer (to the best of my knowledge).
Sampling hardware, or provisions for sampling would probably be included.

So, please let me know what you think.  Any suggestions for improvement are
welcome.
 _                _                                         +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
|_  ,_  .   _    |_}   _    _  ,_ _         _   _   _   ,_  | ear@wpi.wpi.edu |
|_  |   |  |_    | \  |_\  _>  | | |  |_|  _>  _>  |_'  | | | ear%wpi@wpi.edu |
--< A real engineer never reads the instructions first! >-- +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

dts@quad.uucp (David T. Sandberg) (12/10/89)

In article <6096@wpi.wpi.edu> ear@wpi.wpi.edu (Eric A Rasmussen) writes:
:As a sort of informal market survey, I would like to ask the owners of IBM
:PC's or clones (NOT PS/2's) if they would consider purchasing a sound card for
:their machine capable of playing 8-bit stereo samples.  This would give the PC
:sound rivaling that of the Amiga and Macintosh.

In this day and age 8 bit samples are passe'.  Make it 12 bit, at least.

--
David Sandberg             dts@quad.uucp or ..uunet!rosevax!sialis!quad!dts
"What's the difference??"

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) (12/11/89)

In article <6096@wpi.wpi.edu> ear@wpi.wpi.edu (Eric A Rasmussen) writes:

> As a sort of informal market survey, I would like to ask the owners
> of IBM PC's or clones (NOT PS/2's) if they would consider purchasing
> a sound card for their machine capable of playing 8-bit stereo

> So, please let me know what you think.

The success of the Macintosh/Amiga sound systems is based on the fact
that *every* Mac/Amiga has a sound board.  Therefore software
manufacturers can confidently market a sound product that they *know*
has a wide base of potential sales.

Indeed, sound can even be used as an adjunct for other programs
(games, etc) on the Mac/Amiga.

I think that a 3rd-party add-on sound board for a PC would be sold to
a *very* limited marketplace, and that there would not be many (if
any) developers willing to develop for it.

Sorry, but them's the facts of life in the marketing world.

I think your odds of success would be much greater if you were to,
for instance, invent some wonderful new musical program that everyone
had to have, and that included one of your sound boards....

Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@serene.uu.net      ...!uunet!serene!rfarris       serene.UUCP 259-7757

nn86302@tut.fi (Neuvo Niilo Anselmi) (12/11/89)

In article <6096@wpi.wpi.edu> ear@wpi.wpi.edu (Eric A Rasmussen) writes:
>As a sort of informal market survey, I would like to ask the owners of IBM
>PC's or clones (NOT PS/2's) if they would consider purchasing a sound card for
>their machine capable of playing 8-bit stereo samples.  This would give the PC
>sound rivaling that of the Amiga and Macintosh.  One advantage of this card
>over other 8-bit sound cards for the PC would be that it would use DMA for
>playback, and that it would offer two channel playback.  Also, the sample
>rates would be variable, in steps, up to a maximum of 44 khz, which is better
>than both the Amiga and Macintosh offer (to the best of my knowledge).

The only limit that the Amiga has on the output speed is the speed of the
processor used. Which means that you can play sample at a rate of 100kHz
easily.

>sampling hardware, or provisions for sampling would probably be included.

The way I did the 8-bit stereo samples by plugging a dac to the printer
parallel port. It worked rather well and was wery cheap, about $3. I also
plugged a adc to the port to allow me to sample some data in to the PC,
it didn't cost much more than the dac.

--
      NN   NN  NN   NN  NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

gene@ntvax.uucp (Gene De Lisa) (12/14/89)

In article <6096@wpi.wpi.edu> ear@wpi.wpi.edu (Eric A Rasmussen) writes:
>As a sort of informal market survey, I would like to ask the owners of IBM
>PC's or clones (NOT PS/2's) if they would consider purchasing a sound card for
>their machine capable of playing 8-bit stereo samples.  This would give the PC
>sound rivaling that of the Amiga and Macintosh.  One advantage of this card
			    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
			    no big deal.

Make it 16 bits and include a (some) dsp chips.
--
Gene De Lisa
gene@dept.csci.unt.edu

You really don't need a clever quote here.

jboggs@inco.UUCP (John Boggs) (12/14/89)

I've seen advertisements for similar boards aimed at the game market in
EggHead Software's catalog.  The board is not very expensive, under $100
I think, and claims to give the PC game sounds as good as those on the MAC.

There is one vendor of computer games that is marketing games which are
comptible with the board.  Maybe there is a market but I would sink too
much hard earned capital into it.

--
John Boggs

McDonnell Douglas Electronic Systems Company
McLean, Virginia, USA