[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How do I determine an AT's clock speed?

PKNIGHT@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Paul Knight) (12/15/89)

One of my colleagues would like to determine whether the AT she
has is a 6Mhz or 8Mhz model.  Can anyone tell me how to do this?
I have Norton Utilities System Information program, but I don't
know how what clock speed is indicated by a given Computing
Index.  If you do, please let me know.  I also have a program
that displays the date recorded in the ROM bios, in case that
would help.

Please mail me your reply, rather than posting it.  I will
summarize to the group.

Thanks,
Paul Knight
PKNIGHT@PUCC.Princeton.EDU  or  PKNIGHT@PUCC.BITNET

u-gclapp%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Glenn Clapp) (12/15/89)

In article <10304@pucc.Princeton.EDU> PKNIGHT@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>One of my colleagues would like to determine whether the AT she
>has is a 6Mhz or 8Mhz model.  Can anyone tell me how to do this?
>I have Norton Utilities System Information program, but I don't
>know how what clock speed is indicated by a given Computing
>Index.  If you do, please let me know.  I also have a program
>that displays the date recorded in the ROM bios, in case that
>would help.
>
>Please mail me your reply, rather than posting it.  I will
>summarize to the group.

Well, you must have an old Norton SI (I think 4.5 advanced has more
info).  But, in any case, you can run PC Magazine's benchmark
program (PCMAGNET on CompuServe) which will tell you.

If you want to get your hands dirty, you can just write a program
loop and time it on a known machine and compare.

If still in doubt, pop the lid and look!

Glenn