[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How to get into SIMTEL

saify@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (saify.lanewala) (12/13/89)

I have been trying to ftp into WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL for a *LONG*
time now -- averaging about five or six times a week.  I have yet
to get in.  I keep getting the message:
    TOO MANY ANONYMOUS USERS
Does *anyone* have any idea what the anonymous user limit is?
Is this a common problem or am I one of a pre-ordained few that
cannot get in?
Is there an alternative to using ftp to get into SIMTEL?

There's all these goodies I hear about on SIMTEL, and j-u-s-t out
of reach.   AAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

Thanks for your responses.  At your discretion, please either EMAIL
or post your responses.

Saify Lanewala
saify@cbnewsl.ATT.COM
..att!cbnewsl!saify

ppd491@leah.Albany.Edu (Peter P. Donohue) (12/14/89)

In article <3287@cbnewsl.ATT.COM>, saify@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (saify.lanewala) writes:
> I have been trying to ftp into WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL for a *LONG*
> time now -- averaging about five or six times a week.  I have yet
> to get in.  I keep getting the message:
>     TOO MANY ANONYMOUS USERS
> Does *anyone* have any idea what the anonymous user limit is?
> Is this a common problem or am I one of a pre-ordained few that
> cannot get in?
> Is there an alternative to using ftp to get into SIMTEL?

  Don't know what the limit is...
  There is a way to use email to access files from simtel20, but I don't
know how to do it. There is also a way to use interactive 'line
messages' through bitnet to a file server to get files, but I can't
explain that without knowing what type of machine you are hooked up to.
I have found that it makes a difference as to when you try to get in.
The most successful times are weekends and early weekday mornings. I
don't even bother trying after 11 am weekdays.

							Pete
--
Peter P. Donohue
ppd491@albny1vx.bitnet               .  "Education is a journey,

wnbell@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (william n bell) (12/15/89)

In article <3287@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> saify@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (saify.lanewala) writes:
>I have been trying to ftp into WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL for a *LONG*
>time now -- averaging about five or six times a week.  I have yet
>to get in.  I keep getting the message:
>    TOO MANY ANONYMOUS USERS
>Does *anyone* have any idea what the anonymous user limit is?
>Is this a common problem or am I one of a pre-ordained few that
>cannot get in?
>Is there an alternative to using ftp to get into SIMTEL?
Yes, get autoFTP! It works in the background!

Out Of Touch BBS - 716-825-4268 from 8pm-8am!
 FIDO 1:260/170... Online games!

akm@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (12/15/89)

I have switched to using wuarchive.wustl.edu which is a second source
for simtel20 stuff. I haven't got the too many users message as yet.

kartik

Anant Kartik Mithal					akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Department of Computer Science				akm@oregon.BITNET
University of Oregon