[comp.sys.ibm.pc] help with ram chips

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (12/15/89)

In article <19199@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, drmmudie@lotus.waterloo.edu (David R. Mudie) writes:
> [deleted]
> The 'manual' says that I got with the PC state that I can expand the memory
>     using either 41256 or 41000 dram chips.
> The chips that I found in the cadd station are 88315's and TMS4116's
> (and there are a lot of them).  Does anyone know if I can use these.

Yes. NO you can't. Sorry.

Would people asking for help with unknown chips PLEASE give ALL the markings,
the speed rating is important, so are the brief specs (esp clock speed) of
your target machine.

A rough rule of thumb : look for 256 in the IC's markings on machines up to
4 years old, 11000 on newer ones, the letters vary a lot from make to make,
so do packaging styles, but those will usually be the RAM chips. Some older
machines may use xxx64 chips, which are of little use these days.

The 256K DRAMs should be affordable by now, I'd guess <3 USD each if you
shop around. You might recoup your money if the case and power supply are
saleable....

Dave E.

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (12/16/89)

In article <19199@watdragon.waterloo.edu> drmmudie@lotus.waterloo.edu (David R. Mudie) writes:
$The 'manual' says that I got with the PC state that I can expand the memory
$    using either 41256 or 41000 dram chips.
$The chips that I found in the cadd station are 88315's and TMS4116's

   I don't know anything about 88315s, but the 4116s can't be used.  They're
old 16Kx1 chips, whereas the 41256 is a 256kx1 chip.

--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";