[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Unix Curses for MS-DOS?

hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) (12/05/89)

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the UNIX
curses library for MS-DOS, preferable Microsoft C v5.1
compatible?

Thanks in advance,

Herb Lison

norm@oglvee.UUCP (Norman Joseph) (12/06/89)

From article <13281@garnet.BBN.COM>, by hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison):
> Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the UNIX
> curses library for MS-DOS, preferable Microsoft C v5.1
> compatible?

Two come to mind, there may be others:

Curses - from Aspen Scientific (list $119 as of last year)
P.O.Box 72
Wheat Ridge, Colorado 80034-0072
303-423-8088

Curses V Library - from Lattice (list $125 as of this fall)
2500 S. Highland Ave.
Suite 300
Lombard, IL 60148
800-444-4309
--
Norm Joseph - Oglevee Computer System, Inc.
  UUCP: ...!{pitt,cgh}!amanue!oglvee!norm

todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (12/08/89)

In article <13281@garnet.BBN.COM> hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the UNIX
>curses library for MS-DOS, preferable Microsoft C v5.1
>compatible?

Aspen Scientific
P.O. Box 72
Wheat Ridge, CO 80034
(303) 423-8088

   ...!gatech!stiatl!todd
   Todd Merriman * 404-889-8264 * Atlanta, GA

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (12/08/89)

In article <8075@stiatl.UUCP> todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) writes:
>In article <13281@garnet.BBN.COM> hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) writes:
>>Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the UNIX
>>curses library for MS-DOS, preferable Microsoft C v5.1
>>compatible?
>
>Aspen Scientific
>P.O. Box 72
>Wheat Ridge, CO 80034
>(303) 423-8088

Also, Simtel20 has two versionso of curses for MSDOS systems, one is PCCurses Version
1.2 (in <MSDOS.PCCSR13.ARC> on simtel20), and PCURSES.ARC (in <MSDOS.PCURSES.ARC).

I have used pccurses 1.3 in severalprojects and found it to be pretty good.
I have had to make a few minor modifications to it as time went by, but
it comes with full source, so that isn't that hard to do if the need arises.
It can be compiled with either TC or MSC.

Fred

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (12/10/89)

We have what you're looking for in the SIMTEL20 MSDOS archives, in
directory pd1:<msdos.screen>.

PCCSRC13.ARC   	 114K  11-17-89  Unix compatible version of Curses screen mgmt

This was obtained directly from the author.

Don't forget to use TENEX mode when getting binary files from SIMTEL20
with ftp.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

bl@infovax.UUCP (Bj|rn Larsson) (12/10/89)

In article <8152@cg-atla.UUCP> fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) writes:
>In article <8075@stiatl.UUCP> todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) writes:
>>In article <13281@garnet.BBN.COM> hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) writes:
>>>Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the UNIX curses
>Also, Simtel20 has two versionso of curses for MSDOS systems, one is PCCurses Version
>1.2 (in <MSDOS.PCCSR13.ARC> on simtel20), and PCURSES.ARC (in <MSDOS.PCURSES.ARC).
>Fred

Actually, the <MSDOS.PCCSR13.ARC> file is version 1.3, as the name
suggests. That is also the latest 'official' version.

							Bjorn

--
 ====================== InfoVox = Speech Technology =======================
 Bjorn Larsson, INFOVOX AB      :      ...seismo!mcvax!kth!sunic!infovax!bl

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (12/14/89)

In article <13281@garnet.BBN.COM>, hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) writes:
> Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the UNIX curses library
> for MS-DOS, preferable Microsoft C v5.1 compatible?

Someone else has mentioned the public domain implementation.  Aspen
Scientific has a CURSES library that's compatible with UNIX(R) System V
Release 3.  It lists for $159 ($349 with source); there are versions
available for Microsoft C (MS-DOS and OS/2), Turbo C, and Lattice C.
They have a package called FORMATION that builds on top of CURSES; it
"provides viewports, virtual windows, pop-up menus, drop-down menus,
horizontal menus, dialog boxes", etc.  FORMATION goes for $159 ($399
with source, which also lets you use it under the UNIX operating
system).

I think someone had some good things to say about Aspen's curses at one
point.  I've never used it; I'm just reading from the Programmer's
Connection catalog.

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.
UNIX(R) is a registered trademark of AT&T.

jeff@cdp.UUCP (12/16/89)

PC Curses is a shareware package which supports both Microsoft C
and Turbo C.  The package is reliable, fast, and provides SysV
Curses compatibility.  An evaluation package, including libraries
for both compilers, documentation, and test programs, is available
by sending one pre-formatted 5.25" floppy, along with a pre-stamped,
pre-addressed mailer (or $5 if you don't want to bother with all
of that) to:

	Jeff Dean
	710 Chimalus
	Palo Alto, CA  94306