[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AT POST 3 BEEPS MEANING?

u-dmfloy%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Daniel M Floyd) (12/16/89)

Could someone tell me what 3 short beeps on a new mother board means?

A friend of mine is putting together an AT machine but get's nothing
but those 3 short beeps. Over, and over, and over ...

Thanks for any help.

Dan
8<D=
Dan Floyd
8<D=

bill@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (William S. Smith) (12/16/89)

In article <1989Dec16.003500.5466@hellgate.utah.edu> u-dmfloy%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Daniel M Floyd) writes:

>Could someone tell me what 3 short beeps on a new mother board means?
>
>A friend of mine is putting together an AT machine but get's nothing
>but those 3 short beeps. Over, and over, and over ...

I would suggest you check the manual with the video board.  The EGA by
BOCA, for example, says three beeps indicates an error on the other
display card in the system.  I used to get the signal even with only the
BOCA board in the system and no other.  Problem was traced to a fault on
the motherboard - it worked well with a CGA card but wouldn't perform
reliably with the EGA board.

Hope this helps.

bill