[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need hints for books/articles/PD src code on programming TSRs

kcw@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Ken Whedbee) (12/16/89)

Hi,

I'm trying to write some TSRs that deal with keyboard handling.
I am trying to do this in assembly on a 80286, and this is my
first experience in writing TSRs.

I was wondering if there are in good books or articles on
writing TSRs.  Books that I have seen spend very LITTLE time on
the aspects of writing TSRs.

If that fails, is there any Public Domain source code at
ftp sites that implement TSRs that one could study and construct
a basic TSR "shell" from ?

thanx in advance for any ptrs ..

--
Ken Whedbee                  Internet:  kcw@beach.cis.ufl.edu
University of Florida        UUCP:  ..!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!kcw

pipkins@qmsseq.imagen.com (Jeff Pipkins) (12/17/89)

In article <21493@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> kcw@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>I was wondering if there are in good books or articles on
>writing TSRs.  Books that I have seen spend very LITTLE time on
>the aspects of writing TSRs.

Get a copy of the MS-DOS "Encyclopedia".  I know that's a pretty stupid
name for a $75 paperback, but there is some previously undocumented
information there that is still no printed in the MS-DOS technical
reference manual.  None of this stuff is new; the only reason MS finally
put it in print is that it became common knowledge in the industry
anyway.

Don't get a copy of Michael Hyman's book "Memory Resident Utilities,
Interrupts, and Disk Management with MS & PC DOS" MIS Press.  It's
too vague where the details are important, and the bottom line is
wasted time & money.  Not Recommended.

Also, there is a list of (previously) undocumented DOS functions
posted on SIMTEL.  I don't know the name of it right off-hand.

Lastly, a good book on multithreaded operating systems should be handy.
You need to have a good understanding of the issues involved in reentrancy,
interrupt service routines, and timeslicing.

Good Luck.