[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Trouble getting files from SIMTEL20

ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Chris Newbold) (12/11/89)

I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm going to start here in an IBM group,
where I hope someone can help me out.

I have been trying to download files with Unix ftp from SIMTEL20.  Once I
have received the files on my local Unix machine, I download them to my PC.
All of the files have a .ARC extention.  When I try to unpack them with
PKXARC, it dies because the archives are all screwed up.  Are these file
"pre-compressed" and have to be run through something else first?  Are they
using a new archiver?  This happened with over 5 files, so I don't think that
it was just a bad file.

Any suggestions or help would be appriciated.  Please E-mail (if it works) and
I'll summarize if there is any interest.  Thanx!!!

--
University of Rochester	*  		  will screw it up."		     *
Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu * uhura.cc.rochester.edu!ctne_ltd@uunet

atk@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Alan T. Krantz) (12/11/89)

Please remember that SIMTEL is a 36 bit machine. In order to receive
binary files correctly from SIMTEL you must set TENNEX mode in FTP.
If you set binary mode you will receive the high order 32 bits or
something like - if you use ascii mode you will get the high 35
bits or something like that ... so - try tennex mode. Also, when
you go from your unix machine to DOS you need to use some sort of binary
transfer such as kermit in binary mode ...

Geeze the problems that arise if a bit here or a bit there is lost ...

|  Mail:    1830 22nd street      mail: atk@boulder.colorado.edu |
|           Apt 16                Vmail: Home:   (303) 939-8256  |
|           Boulder, Co 80302            Office: (303) 492-8115  |

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (12/12/89)

In article <14759@boulder.Colorado.EDU> atk@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Alan T. Krantz) writes:
$Please remember that SIMTEL is a 36 bit machine. In order to receive
$binary files correctly from SIMTEL you must set TENNEX mode in FTP.

   Somewhere between our ftp program and Simtel20, there's a check done to
ensure that I'm in tenex mode, and it reports an error if I'm not.

$  [...]  Also, when
$you go from your unix machine to DOS you need to use some sort of binary
$transfer such as kermit in binary mode ...

   I've had problems getting files downloaded from FTP to unarc on
my DOS machine.  I grab them in tenex mode, and download them with Procomm
Plus's kermit server in binary mode, but almost always I end up with a CRC
error somewhere in the archive.  However, if I unarc them on this unix
box, they work fine.  Very strange.  But it's a pain in the butt to have
to download everything separately.

   Also, between the kermit server on this Sun and Procomm's kermit server,
any transfer totalling over 160-180k (not necessarily all in one file)
is doomed to a painful death.  Due to these two problems, I've basically
given up on getting stuff from Simtel20 (and besides which, my hard disk
is filling up :-)

--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

neumann@udel.edu (Brian R. Neumann) (12/13/89)

In article <2584431E.3787@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>In article <14759@boulder.Colorado.EDU> atk@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Alan T. Krantz) writes:
>$you go from your unix machine to DOS you need to use some sort of binary
>$transfer such as kermit in binary mode ...
>
>   I've had problems getting files downloaded from FTP to unarc on
>my DOS machine.  I grab them in tenex mode, and download them with Procomm
>Plus's kermit server in binary mode, but almost always I end up with a CRC
>error somewhere in the archive.  However, if I unarc them on this unix
>box, they work fine.  Very strange.  But it's a pain in the butt to have
>to download everything separately.
>
>Due to these two problems, I've basically
>given up on getting stuff from Simtel20 (and besides which, my hard disk
>is filling up :-)

I had this trouble and then gave up on simtel for a year.  Then someone told
me a solution to the problem.  On the mainframe,  I invoke kermit by

kermit -i
      ^^^^^ to use binary mode. CRC checks are fine, and the programs run fine.

In the past couple months I've obtained about 30Meg of files...
--

         _               _           _

poffen@molehill (Russ Poffenberger) (12/15/89)

In article <4446@ur-cc.UUCP> ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Chris Newbold) writes:
>I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm going to start here in an IBM group,
>where I hope someone can help me out.
>
>I have been trying to download files with Unix ftp from SIMTEL20.  Once I
>have received the files on my local Unix machine, I download them to my PC.
>All of the files have a .ARC extention.  When I try to unpack them with
>PKXARC, it dies because the archives are all screwed up.  Are these file
>"pre-compressed" and have to be run through something else first?  Are they
>using a new archiver?  This happened with over 5 files, so I don't think that
>it was just a bad file.
>
>Any suggestions or help would be appriciated.  Please E-mail (if it works) and
>I'll summarize if there is any interest.  Thanx!!!

I do basically the same thing. I download .ARC files from a simtel site to my
Sun workstation, then copy them to a PC using pc-nfs. A couple times I have
gotten bad transfers, but this only happens about 5% of the time, and re-
downloading them works OK. Maybe your un-arc utility is suspect.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (12/17/89)

In article <6001@nigel.udel.EDU> neumann@udel.edu (Brian R. Neumann) writes:
$I had this trouble and then gave up on simtel for a year.  Then someone told
$me a solution to the problem.  On the mainframe,  I invoke kermit by
$kermit -i
$      ^^^^^ to use binary mode. CRC checks are fine, and the programs run fine.

   I received more than one suggestion by e-mail to type in a set command
within Kermit to put it into binary mode.  Alas, our implementation of KErmit
does not have this particular set command, but it _does_ have the -i switch.

   One thing that's puzzling me, though, is why for files of up to 100K or
possibly more it works fine (with my Procomm Plus set to the correct mode,
be it binary or text as required), but once I hit 160-180K it chokes.  I
don't see how this could be related to setting or not setting binary mode.