[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HELP- I've deleted my hard disk files!

neumann@udel.edu (Brian R. Neumann) (12/14/89)

I knew it would happen to me sometime.  I was clearing some floppies
on which to back up my hard disk archive files, and mistakenly typed
del *.* while in my \archives directory.  I've just started downloading
files from grape and simtel, and deleted about 10 Meg of zip files
WITH NO BACKUPS!

Are there any public domain programs out there to UNdelete files on a
hard disk?   I've made sure not to write any files onto the disk
so that I won't overwrite these files until I know what's up.

--

         _               _           _
|] |] | |_| |\ |   |\ | |_ | | |\/| |_| |\ | |\ |     Neumann@louie.udel.edu
|] |\ | | | | \|   | \| |_ |_| |  | | | | \| | \|     Neumann@vax1.udel.edu

u-gclapp%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Glenn Clapp) (12/15/89)

There are many ways to undelete files.  When a file is deleted in MS-DOS,
all that really happens is the firest character in the file name is
deleted.  Any sector editor (pd or otherwise) will allow you to fix the
problem.  Better yet, is just to download (from your fav BBS,
CompuServe etc.) a utility that will undelete for you.  However, if
you own a hard disk, you *SHOULD* own Mace Utilities or Norton
Utilities, both of which include very powerful tools to save you
from just such a situation (or MUCH worse).

Keep in mind however, that you can always undelete a file if you havn't
tried to write anything new.  Once you do any writing to the disk, dos
will start using clusters from the deleted files, and data will be
lost (not all, but just what dos has used).  Tools like Norton's
Norton Utility will allow you to search the disk for any lost
data from a file that has had its chains destroyed, allowing
you to recover data that would seem to be lost forever.

Glenn

czmurek@drunivac.uucp (12/15/89)

In article <6113@nigel.udel.EDU>, neumann@udel.edu (Brian R. Neumann) writes:
> I knew it would happen to me sometime.  I was clearing some floppies
> on which to back up my hard disk archive files, and mistakenly typed
> del *.* while in my \archives directory.  I've just started downloading
> files from grape and simtel, and deleted about 10 Meg of zip files
> WITH NO BACKUPS!
>
> Are there any public domain programs out there to UNdelete files on a
> hard disk?   I've made sure not to write any files onto the disk
> so that I won't overwrite these files until I know what's up.

Brian:
	Worry not guy!  This happens to the rest of us- me more than
once!  There are a few utilities that will solve your problem.  One of
them comes with DOS - it is called recover.com but will change all the
names to numbers like file0001 and file0002, so it is up to you to
rename them but each archive has a name in its header.  There are two
or three utilities that come with the Norton Utilities package that
will also help you and they are not difficult to use - One of them
lets you begin with the whole file name minus the first character
which DOS erases to let itself know that the file has been deleted.  I
would suggest that you get a copy of Norton.  It takes very little
effort to recover the files once you get used to the program - less
than 5 secs.
	Godd luck and please send to me and tell me if you need any
more help...

-Chris

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (12/17/89)

In article <26538.2588ff63@drunivac.uucp> czmurek@drunivac.uucp writes:
>In article <6113@nigel.udel.EDU>, neumann@udel.edu (Brian R. Neumann) writes:
>>
>> Are there any public domain programs out there to UNdelete files on a
>> hard disk?   I've made sure not to write any files onto the disk
>> so that I won't overwrite these files until I know what's up.
>>

>Brian:
>	Worry not guy!  This happens to the rest of us- me more than
>once!  There are a few utilities that will solve your problem.  One of
>them comes with DOS - it is called recover.com but will change all the
>names to numbers like file0001 and file0002, so it is up to you to
>rename them but each archive has a name in its header.  There are two

Watch out!  This is NOT what RECOVER does.  RECOVER does two things - if a
file contains some unreadable sectors, then RECOVER FILE will try to salvage
the rest.

If you don't name a file, however, then RECOVER will try to fix
up a damaged directory structure by throwing it all away, and rebuilding
it from scratch based on the FAT.  Every file and subdirectory on your
disk gets moved to the root directory and named FILEnnnn.REC, until RECOVER
runs out of space there, and it quits.  This is such a useless and
stupid thing to do that you're best off just deleting RECOVER.EXE or
RECOVER.COM from your disk, and forgetting it ever existed.

I just wish I could make as much money as Bill Gates does for the really
stupid things I do sometimes.

Duncan Murdoch