[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC Tetris

snsrjth@nmtsun.nmt.edu (- Jeff -) (11/04/89)

Does anyone know where I can get a public domain version of a tetris for the
PC? I am preferably looking for a graphics version (preferably Hercules but
CGA is okay) or ASCII. Does anyone know if one exists? If so, how or where
can one be obtained (FTP address, etc)? Please email responses if possible.

			Thanks in advance.

				- Jeff -
				snsrjth@jupiter.nmt.edu

--
                                       Internet: snsrjth@jupiter.nmt.edu
                                           UUCP: ...!unmvax!nmtsun!snsrjth

"A stitch in time takes up space...", The Doctor - "Delta & the Bannermen"

jbrennan@ics.uci.edu (James Edward Iii Brennan) (11/05/89)

snsrjth@nmtsun.nmt.edu (- Jeff -) writes:

>Does anyone know where I can get a public domain version of a tetris for the
>PC? I am preferably looking for a graphics version (preferably Hercules but
>CGA is okay) or ASCII. Does anyone know if one exists? If so, how or where
>can one be obtained (FTP address, etc)? Please email responses if possible.
>
>			Thanks in advance.

>				- Jeff -
>				snsrjth@jupiter.nmt.edu

   Second the motion.  A VGA would be best for me (EGA/CGA would be
okay however).  FTP address is the best method of transfer for me,
next comes BBS.

Thanks in advance,
Jim.

kipnis@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Gary Kipnis) (11/05/89)

In article <1989Nov4.110503.14425@paris.ics.uci.edu> jbrennan@ics.uci.edu (James Edward Iii Brennan) writes:
>snsrjth@nmtsun.nmt.edu (- Jeff -) writes:
>
>>Does anyone know where I can get a public domain version of a tetris for the
>>PC? I am preferably looking for a graphics version (preferably Hercules but
>>CGA is okay) or ASCII. Does anyone know if one exists? If so, how or where
>>can one be obtained (FTP address, etc)? Please email responses if possible.
>>
>>			Thanks in advance.
I wrote a game of TETRIS for MSWINDOWS (VGA, EGA, HERCULES, CGA, etc)
it's located on SIMTEL20 in MSDOS.MSWINDOWS directory, if you cannot
get it from there just mail me, or if enough interest exist I will post
it in this newsgroup

gary

mlb@vms.macc.wisc.edu (JUDITH BLOXHAM) (11/06/89)

In article <3434@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, snsrjth@nmtsun.nmt.edu (- Jeff -) writes...

>Does anyone know where I can get a public domain version of a tetris for the
>PC? I am preferably looking for a graphics version (preferably Hercules but
>CGA is okay) or ASCII. Does anyone know if one exists? If so, how or where
>can one be obtained (FTP address, etc)? Please email responses if possible.
>
>			Thanks in advance.
>
>				- Jeff -
>				snsrjth@jupiter.nmt.edu

I have a copy of TETRIS.ARC on one of my 'games' backup disks.  Have not
played it for a long time, but am willing to get it into a publically
accessible place such as SIMTEL, although I don't think SIMTEL has a
pd1:<msdos.games> directory.  They would surely run out of disk space if
games were uploaded.  Someone let me know how to get tetris available to
usenet population.

mike

c188-bc@cordelia.uucp (Eric) (11/07/89)

A hybrid of TETRIS is available via anonymous ftp from
grape.ecs.clarkson.edu in the bin4 directory; it is
called EGAINT and is in EG9303.ARC or something along those
lines.  Unfortunately, it is EGA/VGA specific.

Fortunately, the Turbo Pascal source code is freely
available (pointers to archives are included inside, I
believe); it was written (as far as adapters go) in a fairly
portable manner (though everything else is in a horrid style)
and can be modified (albeit not as easily as one would
ideally want) to support the Hercules card.

Rumor has it that the author was working on a new version
which should support all different sorts of adapters, but
that something strenuous (like college, perhaps) got in the
way.

eric
erc@irss.njit.edu, c188-bc@bard.berkeley.edu
"Well I guess that's why I've always
 Got the blues"

U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) (11/08/89)

In article <3434@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, snsrjth@nmtsun.nmt.edu (- Jeff -) writes:
> Does anyone know where I can get a public domain version of a tetris for the
> PC? I am preferably looking for a graphics version (preferably Hercules but
> CGA is okay) or ASCII. Does anyone know if one exists? If so, how or where
> can one be obtained (FTP address, etc)? Please email responses if possible.

I have a PD version which works in text mode, and hence runs with any screen.

I can mail it to you or post it somewhere suitable.  It is only about 18k.

Get back to me.

Peter S.

U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) (11/08/89)

In article <3434@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, snsrjth@nmtsun.nmt.edu (- Jeff -) writes:
> Does anyone know where I can get a public domain version of a tetris for the
> PC? I am preferably looking for a graphics version (preferably Hercules but
> CGA is okay) or ASCII. Does anyone know if one exists? If so, how or where
> can one be obtained (FTP address, etc)? Please email responses if possible.

I have a public domain version called NYET which runs in text mode.

I can mail it to people or post it somewhere suitable.

Get back to me if you want it.

Peter S.

gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) (11/09/89)

From article <19243@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, by c188-bc@cordelia.uucp (Eric):
> A hybrid of TETRIS is available via anonymous ftp from
> grape.ecs.clarkson.edu in the bin4 directory; it is
> called EGAINT and is in EG9303.ARC or something along those
> lines.  Unfortunately, it is EGA/VGA specific.

I obtained this from comp.binaries.ibm.pc and, in addition to EGAINT, it
included AINT which claims to be usable on monochrome, color, or Toshiba
4 color plasma screens.  I don't know if it is specific for just EGA\VGA
or not.  I beleive the author developed EGAINT for EGA after AINT
was created.

Greg Cook                    All good things come through chemistry!
gcook@horus.cem.msu.edu
cook@frith.egr.msu.edu

heflin@cod.NOSC.MIL (Greg R. Heflin) (11/14/89)

In article <385@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) writes:
>In article <3434@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, snsrjth@nmtsun.nmt.edu (- Jeff -) writes:
>> Does anyone know where I can get a public domain version of a tetris for the
>> PC? I am preferably looking for a graphics version (preferably Hercules but
>
>I have a public domain version called NYET which runs in text mode.
>
>Peter S.

Pardon me, but is this the game of dropping blocks where one tries to
eliminate complete rows?  By David Howarth?
If so, I would be interested in hearing what peoples highest score
has been.
The highest VERIFIED score around here was 22,800, starting on level 8
out of 9.

Drop :) me a line & let me know what your high score was.

-gregory

--

-gregory  Just my two cents which shouldn't make a flame,
	  unless you rub them real hard.

dleach@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (David Leach) (11/14/89)

--
David Leach

disclamer: "I speak for no one . . . just ask my wife!

dleach@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (David Leach) (11/14/89)

My high score for TETRIS is around 38,000 (started at level 9).  The
hardest part is getting the first 10000 points after which you should
have a rythm down.  It drove my wife crazy because she had been working
on the game for a couple of hours a night for about a week to get all
of the high scores and knock me off the list and I came in and played
one game to get THE high score.

I play the game on a Standard 286 AT with an EGA monitor.
--

nn86302@tut.fi (Neuvo Niilo Anselmi) (11/14/89)

In article <205@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com> dleach@sat.datapoint.com (David Leach) writes:
>My high score for TETRIS is around 38,000 (started at level 9).  The

	There is just one problem with this competition. There are
	about n+1 versions of TETRIS out there and that results in
	n+1 different ways of keeping score and changing levels and
	speed and blocks and etc.

	If someone knows the *official* rules for keeping score on
	TETRIS I would like to get my hands on them (I am planning
	on writing version n+2).

--
      NN   NN  NN   NN  NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

kipnis@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Gary Kipnis) (11/15/89)

In article <2507@tutor.tut.fi> nn86302@tutor.UUCP (Neuvo Niilo Anselmi) writes:
>In article <205@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com> dleach@sat.datapoint.com (David Leach) writes:
>	If someone knows the *official* rules for keeping score on
>	TETRIS I would like to get my hands on them (I am planning
>	on writing version n+2).

Please post, since I already wrote version n-1 and I am not sure if I am
computing score correctly.

gary

dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) (11/21/89)

In article <3434@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, snsrjth@nmtsun.nmt.edu (- Jeff -) writes...

>Does anyone know where I can get a public domain version of a tetris for the
>PC? I am preferably looking for a graphics version (preferably Hercules but
>CGA is okay) or ASCII. Does anyone know if one exists? If so, how or where
>can one be obtained (FTP address, etc)? Please email responses if possible.

There is a (I think) public domain version of AINT (Tetris clone) for EGA
graphics called EGAINT.  I haven't played it, but I did check out the
options and stuff.  You can change the patterns of the blocks, make
the game harder by including more odd-shaped blocks, etc.  It looks REALLY
nice.  Should be available on many BBS's.  Try Toad Hall in the 415 area
code.
David Barnes
UUCP: {pyramid,sri-unix,ingr}!apd!dbarnes     415/852-2365
USPS: Intergraph APD, 2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA  94303

tris@alzabo.uucp (Tris Orendorff) (11/24/89)

In article <3434@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, snsrjth@nmtsun.nmt.edu (- Jeff -) writes...

>Does anyone know where I can get a public domain version of a tetris for the
>PC? I am preferably looking for a graphics version (preferably Hercules but
>CGA is okay) or ASCII. Does anyone know if one exists? If so, how or where
>can one be obtained (FTP address, etc)? Please email responses if possible.

Look for something called nyet.arc or nyet.zip.  This is a text game but it
plays really well.

Also, look for something called beyond.arc.  This is a tetris style game
that was originally done in X-windows.  The version I have is VGA or MCGA
only.

--
				Sincerely Yours
				Tris Orendorff

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (11/28/89)

In article <1989Nov24.044845.12395@alzabo.uucp> tris@alzabo.uucp (Tris Orendorff) writes:

>Also, look for something called beyond.arc.  This is a tetris style game
>that was originally done in X-windows.  The version I have is VGA or MCGA
>only.

Can anybody please send me this (or tell me how to get it, I don't
have FTP, a modem, etc.)?

Thank you,

Michael Schaap
msschaa@cs.vu.nl

koerberm@nixsin.UUCP (Mathias Koerber) (12/04/89)

In article <4635@draak.cs.vu.nl> msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) writes:
>In article <1989Nov24.044845.12395@alzabo.uucp> tris@alzabo.uucp (Tris Orendorff) writes:
>>
>>Also, look for something called beyond.arc.  This is a tetris style game
>>that was originally done in X-windows.  The version I have is VGA or MCGA
>>only.

I have a shareware version here called BLOCKOUT, which is tetris 3D !!!!!!!!
I don't know if I ever will be able to post it, since I have problems
interfacing my PC to my UNIX-Machine, but I might try if you can't get it
elsewhere.
	I also might look up the address of the author. If you like me to do that,
just drop a mail. Right now I'm very busy.

Mathias
--
-Mathias Koerber           |Tel:   +65 / 7473828 ext 322 |Fax: +65 / 7474331
-Nixdorf Computer Singapore|EUnet: koerber.sin@nixpbe    |nerv:  koerber.sin

ho@fergvax.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (12/09/89)

From article <644@nixsin.UUCP>, by koerberm@nixsin.UUCP (Mathias Koerber):
> I have a shareware version here called BLOCKOUT, which is tetris 3D !!!!!!!!

I have this too, but I have as of yet been unwilling to post it on the
local BBS'es because I'm not sure it's shareware.  It's got a copyright
message, and none of the usual "this ain't a warranty" files.

Anyone else have more info?  It's a great program.  That's what scares me.
(No offense to you shareware authors... but I'm the co-sysop of a BBS and
have been trained to expect the worst.)
---
	... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@fergvax.unl.edu		USnail:  115 Nebraska Union
BITnet:   cosx001@UNLCDC3			 Lincoln, NE 68588-0461

c60c-4ab@e260-4c.berkeley.edu (Scott Drellishak) (12/09/89)

In article <911@unocss..unl.edu> ho@fergvax.unl.edu writes:
>From article <644@nixsin.UUCP>, by koerberm@nixsin.UUCP (Mathias Koerber):
>> I have a shareware version here called BLOCKOUT, which is tetris 3D !!!!!!!!
>
>I have this too, but I have as of yet been unwilling to post it on the
>local BBS'es because I'm not sure it's shareware.  It's got a copyright
>message, and none of the usual "this ain't a warranty" files.

Blockout is a commercial program.  The copy I downloaded from a local BBS
includes a READ.ME file bragging that it is some new pirate group's "first
crack."  Too bad....it's a really neat game.  Well worth buying, if the
price is reasonable.

( Scott Drellishak
(
(   "You pays your money and you takes your frame of reference."
(                                           - Joe Haldeman, _The Forever War_

millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU (MILLER TODD C) (12/10/89)

Re Blockout, the 3-D Tetris-type game.
I'm pretty sure it's not ShareWare as I just saw a magazine add for it
the other day.  Can't Be sure of the publisher, but it may be by California
Dreams.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

                               -Todd.

|                 Todd Miller - millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU                     |
|           Meet the new boss, just the same as old boss - The Who             |

dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) (12/19/89)

In article <911@unocss..unl.edu> ho@fergvax.unl.edu writes:
>From article <644@nixsin.UUCP>, by koerberm@nixsin.UUCP (Mathias Koerber):
>> I have a shareware version here called BLOCKOUT, which is tetris 3D !!!!!!!!
>
>I have this too, but I have as of yet been unwilling to post it on the
>local BBS'es because I'm not sure it's shareware.  It's got a copyright
>message, and none of the usual "this ain't a warranty" files.

I just downloaded it and had the same reaction.  Terrific game, and I'd
expect a registration form, a DOC file, or at least a screen of credits
for the fine programming.  There was no city given in the copyright notice,
so I can't call "California Dreams", the copyright owner to find out.

Anybody out there know?
David Barnes
UUCP: {pyramid,sri-unix,ingr}!apd!dbarnes     415/852-2365
USPS: Intergraph APD, 2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA  94303

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) (12/20/89)

In article <3479@garth.UUCP> dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:

[concerning tetris]

> I just downloaded it and had the same reaction.  Terrific game, and
> I'd expect a registration form, a DOC file, or at least a screen of
> credits for the fine programming.

There are several versions of tetris extant.  I believe the original
was written by a Soviet citizen, and is public domain.  Spectrum
Holobyte acquired the source code and re-wrote it, and released their
versions as commercial software.  SH includes cga, ega, tandy and
even a memory resident version.

If you like tetris, watch for "beyond.com," an amusing variation.

Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@serene.uu.net      ...!uunet!serene!rfarris       serene.UUCP 259-7757