[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 4dos 2.21 and 3+Open

marco@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Marco Dalla-Gasperina) (12/19/89)

We have just upgraded our network to 3+open... the hitch is that
4dos 2.21 causes the network not to load.

Any hints or amusing anecdotes?

marco

drezac@dcscg1.UUCP (Duane L. Rezac) (12/19/89)

From article <9240016@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com>, by marco@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Marco Dalla-Gasperina):
> We have just upgraded our network to 3+open... the hitch is that
> 4dos 2.21 causes the network not to load.
>
> Any hints or amusing anecdotes?
>
> marco

I have found that some programs must have command.com available to load. To
solve this problem with some of the programs on my computer, I keep command.com
as the primary shell and then use 4dos as a secondary shell. Then the programs
that want comamnd.com seem to be happy. (the only problem is that programs that
shell to dos will use command.com instead of 4dos)

Duane L. Rezac

--
Verse of the Hour:
"Blessed is the man whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline

richard@calvin.spp.cornell.edu (Richard Brittain) (12/20/89)

In article <653@dcscg1.UUCP> drezac@dcscg1.UUCP (Duane L. Rezac) writes:
>From article <9240016@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com>, by marco@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Marco Dalla-Gasperina):
>> We have just upgraded our network to 3+open... the hitch is that
>> 4dos 2.21 causes the network not to load.
>
>I have found that some programs must have command.com available to load. To
>solve this problem with some of the programs on my computer, I keep command.com
>as the primary shell and then use 4dos as a secondary shell. Then the programs

I have one communication program that insists on shelling out to "command.com"
so I made a copy of 4dos.com and called it command.com and my program was
quite happy.  It might be worth trying this before returning to the
real command.com

Richard Brittain,                   School of Elect. Eng.,  Upson Hall
                                    Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
ARPA: richard@calvin.spp.cornell.edu
UUCP: {uunet,uw-beaver,rochester,cmcl2}!cornell!calvin!richard