[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PO'd at Mail Order Co.

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (12/19/89)

Last Dec I purchased an AT clone from American Semiconductor and
have had a fwe problems.  This note is to let you all know and to
see if I am the only one or not...

When I ordered the machine, I ordered it with MS-DOS 3.3 and an
AT style keyboard.  I didn't receive DOS and got an extended
keyboard.  When I called they said basically that I was stuck with
the keyboard and that they would send me DOS (I had to pay the extra
postage).  When I received the DOS it was DR DOS 3.3.  Not what
I ordered (luckily a friend wanted it & I picked up MS-DOS from
another company).

In the mean time, I had to add a number of boards to the system
and found that with the controller card that they supplied, I
could not put a card in the slot next to it.  The pins/connectors
for the card stuck out to far.  They sent me a differnt card that
fit better.  In the mean time my 90 day (very short) warranty
was about to run out and they offered to sell me an extended
warranty, which took.  The way it sounded the extended warranty
would work like the initial one.

When I had the original card replaced, they sent me a new one & I
sent back the old one.  I did not experience any down time.  Now,
I am getting marginal errors on the controller (diags from my Mac
interface board that goes between the controller & my drive).
After calling them, they tell me that I can send back the board and
they will replace it (amounting to down time) and that I pay for
all the shipping....

What is an extended warranty for.  I should have kept the extra
125+ dollars and used it to buy spares.

What do you all think?  And by the way, I could have gotten the
machine cheaper after they added all their extra shipping/handling
and processing charges.

--
Let sleeping dragons lie........               | The Bit Chaser
Bill Wilson             (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm | wilson@nauvax)

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (12/21/89)

In article <1855@naucse.UUCP>, wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) writes:
> After calling them, they tell me that I can send back the board and
> they will replace it (amounting to down time) and that I pay for
> all the shipping....
>
> What is an extended warranty for.  I should have kept the extra
> 125+ dollars and used it to buy spares.

Score 1 for shopping locally, you can even go and make a fuss in the
shop if it gets *really* bad.

Dave E.