[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Transfer rates

ngeow@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Yee Ngeow) (12/17/89)

Hi!

  Just a question about hard disk transfer rates. I recently purchased a
SCSI drive, the ST-02 (no flames please) and ST-157N. Running with the
zero wait jumper enabled, with a 1:1 interleave I am getting 500K of
transfer rate, but running at 2:1 I am getting 350K or so. I thought 1:1 is
twice as fast as 2:1, since the disk must rotate twice to read all the sectors.
Anyone know what is going on there?

  Also, how does one get the theoretical maximum transfer rate for any
one encoding scheme (RLL/MFM/ESDI)? Doesn't the transfer rate be affected
by the number of read/write heads you have on your drive? I though the sequence
on sequential read/write on a hard disk is:

  (sector 0) head 0 1 2 3 .. (sector 1) head 0 1 2 3 .. (sector 2) head 0 1 ..

It seems this way when I format a disk. So the more heads you have, the higher
your transfer rate, since switching from head to head doesn't take any time?!
Or is it the other way:

  (head 0) sector 0 1 2 3 4 ... 17 (head 1) sector 0 1 2 3 ....

which provides a constant rate regardless of number of heads?

Also, I though Winchester drives spin at a rate of 3000 revolution per second,
as opposed to 300 rps on floppy drives. Assuming heads don't matter, the
transfer rate formula on a 1:1 intereave is:

   3000 * SECTOR/TRACK * SECTOR SIZE

which will give me a HUGE number. Lets assume RLL, 26 sectors/track and 512
bytes/sector:

   3000 * 26 * 512 = 39,000 Kbytes

which is over 39 Megabytes/second, and is about 500 times greater then
7.5Mbits/second!! What is going on here??!

  I will appreciate if anyone can answer my question. Sorry if they seem
naive, but I just can not figure it out..

Thanks in advance,
Kwong

u-gclapp%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Glenn Clapp) (12/17/89)

In article <44807@bu-cs.BU.EDU> ngeow@cs.bu.edu (Yee Ngeow) writes:
>Hi!
>
>  Just a question about hard disk transfer rates. I recently purchased a
>SCSI drive, the ST-02 (no flames please) and ST-157N. Running with the
>zero wait jumper enabled, with a 1:1 interleave I am getting 500K of
>transfer rate, but running at 2:1 I am getting 350K or so. I thought 1:1 is
>twice as fast as 2:1, since the disk must rotate twice to read all the sectors.
>Anyone know what is going on there?

Well, if your drive has its optimum transfer rate at 2:1 (consecutive
sectors are not really consecutive, but have another sector between them),
then going to a 1:1 interleave will cause the drive to make a full EXTRA
revolution+ to read the next sector, because the drive is too slow to
be ready for it the first time it comes by.  This will DRASTICALLY
reduce your transfer rate.  Going to a higher interleave such as 3:1 will
only slightly reduce transfer rate as the drive will be waiting for data.

Great utilities exist for checking and changing interleave such as
Gibson Research's SpinRite II, but I don't think it works with SCSI
drives.

In any case, transfer over the SCSI may be very high, but it still has
to get the data into the PC via the out-dated AT bus at 8MHz (some
are faster, but this get's dicey (I know, just try an ATI VGA Wonder
in a 12MHz bus and see what happens).  The AT bus has a maximum
*Theoretical* transfer rate of 1Mb/s, but in practice the maximum is
somewhat less.

Glenn

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) (12/17/89)

In article <44807@bu-cs.BU.EDU> ngeow@cs.bu.edu (Yee Ngeow) writes:

> Winchester drives spin at a rate of 3000 revolution per second

So close, Kwong, yet so far away :-).

5 1/4 inch winchesters spin at 3600 rotations per *minute*, not per
second.  That's 60 rps.

That would make your calculation:

	60 * 26 * 512 = 798,720 bytes/sec

But consider what would happen if each head on a disk were feeding
it's own buffer, so that one revolution could read an entire
*cylinder*!  A 12 head drive could approach 10 MB/s (80 Mbits/sec
YOW!).  It goes without saying that the controller would need to
optimize cylinder writes....

Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@serene.uu.net      ...!uunet!serene!rfarris       serene.UUCP 259-7757

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (12/20/89)

In article <1989Dec16.192948.27568@hellgate.utah.edu> u-gclapp%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Glenn Clapp) writes:
}In any case, transfer over the SCSI may be very high, but it still has
}to get the data into the PC via the out-dated AT bus at 8MHz (some
}are faster, but this get's dicey (I know, just try an ATI VGA Wonder
}in a 12MHz bus and see what happens).  The AT bus has a maximum
}*Theoretical* transfer rate of 1Mb/s, but in practice the maximum is
}somewhat less.

Better not tell the HD controllers with hardware disk caches that blast 3-4M/s
over the AT bus....  The AT bus is nowhere near the bottleneck with current
hard disk technology.  MFM drives do up to 500K/s, RLL up to 750K/s, and
ESDI do up to 1M/s for 10MHz controllers (there are also some 15 and 20MHz
controllers available, but I wonder whether current hard disks could actually
make use of the extra speed--you'd need about 68 sectors per physical track
to max out a 20 MHz controller).  Compare that to a bus bandwidth of 5.33M/s
for an 8 MHz/1ws bus doing 16-bit transfers.  SCSI can theoretically do 4M/s,
but that assumes that both the hard disk and the host adapter can keep up
(I think the new SCSI II does 10M/s).

--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf   ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu@canremote.uucp (ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu) (12/21/89)

From: ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown)
Orga: Carnegie-Mellon University, CS/RI

In article <1989Dec16.192948.27568@hellgate.utah.edu>
u-gclapp%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Glenn Clapp) writes: }In any case,
[...]

---
 * Via MaSNet/HST96/HST144/V32 - UN IBM PC
 * Via Usenet Newsgroup comp.sys.ibm.pc