[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Wanted: linear programming software

stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) (12/19/89)

Can anyone recommend software for conducting linear programming
analysis on a 286-based machine?  What I'd really like is an add-in
for Lotus 123, but a stand-alone would work too.

Note that linear programming is not a way of writing source code,
but a multivariate statistical technique.

Also any suggestions for other newsgroups for this posting would
be appreciated.

Thanks --

                                         G. D. Stone
                                         Dept. of Anthropology
                                         Columbia Univ.

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (12/19/89)

In article <2516@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>,
stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) writes:
>Can anyone recommend software for conducting linear programming
>analysis on a 286-based machine?  What I'd really like is an add-in
>for Lotus 123, but a stand-alone would work too.

There is a linear programming add in for LOTUS 1-2-3 called "What's
Best". I don't know who produces it, but I THINK they are related to
the people who produce LINDO (a standard stand-alone linear
programming package for the PC / many other machines).

Richard Stanton

pstanton@gsb-what.stanford.edu

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (12/19/89)

In article <2516@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) writes:
>Can anyone recommend software for conducting linear programming
>analysis on a 286-based machine?  What I'd really like is an add-in
>for Lotus 123, but a stand-alone would work too.

I don't know about the recommending bit, but if you have the
(anonymous) ftp capability you can get /pc/ts/tslin29.arc from our
site.  This file contains a linear programming and a linear goal
programming program.

>Note that linear programming is not a way of writing source code,
>but a multivariate statistical technique.

Sorry, but you have confused things in here.  Linear programming is
NOT a multivariate statistical technique (even if it can be applied
as a tool in least absolute deviations method in multiple regression
analysis.) Linear programming is a method for maximizing (or
minimizing) a linear function under linear constraints.  The
traditional LP task in vector notation is

   max z =     c'x
   subject to
               Ax < b
                  -
                x > 0
                  -
If you are looking for a newsgroup for LP questions, I think that
your best bet is sci.math.num-analysis.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

stanwass@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (12/21/89)

Linear programming is not a statistical technique.

Stan Wasserman
Psychology and Statistics
University of Illinois

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (12/22/89)

In article <2516@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) writes:
>Can anyone recommend software for conducting linear programming
>analysis on a 286-based machine?  What I'd really like is an add-in
>for Lotus 123, but a stand-alone would work too.

Cal State University, Northridge has a product in their Business Dept.
computer labs called STORM.  It uses a spreadsheet style interface, with
some prompting for non-calculation type parameters.  It does linear programming
and a lot more (transportation problems, PERT/CPM, etc).

I don't know if this was developed in house or if it's a commercial product,
I used it last semester, and while the user interface is less than intuitive,
its' performance on a 5Mhz PC was acceptable.

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
Kaleb Keithley