[comp.sys.ibm.pc] TP5 and SIGMA-400 graphics

renata@eos (Daniel Delgado) (12/06/89)

Hi

   Our lab has a strange graphics card (SIGMA 400).  It is
   a cga card but it does have a hi res mode.  Does anybody
   know of a way to use it with Turbo Pascal 5.0 so that
   one can access the hi res?

                                   Thanks,
                                   Dan Delgado

gs940971@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (glen sunada f84) (12/06/89)

In article <5769@eos.UUCP>, renata@eos (Daniel Delgado) writes:
>    Our lab has a strange graphics card (SIGMA 400).  It is
>    a cga card but it does have a hi res mode.  Does anybody
>    know of a way to use it with Turbo Pascal 5.0 so that
>    one can access the hi res?

Yes - write your own BGI driver for it (you will need to know C and Assembly
as well as how to program the hardware (( BIOS, CRTC, etc )) of the board.)

Before you ask me the BGI ref's are available on SIMTEL20 the file is

PD1:<MSDOS.BORLAND>BGIDRIV.ARC

Glen U. Suanda
gs940971@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU    ARPA Internet (preferred)
...ncar!boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU!gs940971 UUCP   (ncar
is down on sat. Dec. 9, 1989)

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (12/10/89)

renata@eos (Daniel Delgado) writes:

>   Our lab has a strange graphics card (SIGMA 400).  It is
>   a cga card but it does have a hi res mode.  Does anybody
>   know of a way to use it with Turbo Pascal 5.0 so that
>   one can access the hi res?

Check the Borland SIZG on CIS (Go BPROGA) and see if anybody has posted
a BGI driver for it. If not, pick up a copy of the BGI toolkit *from CIS*
(last I heard the copy on SIMTEL was an older release that had bugs).

With the BGI toolkit you can create your own drivers and fonts.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

DRF6@PSUVM.BITNET (12/21/89)

>renata@eos (Daniel Delgado) writes:
>
>>   Our lab has a strange graphics card (SIGMA 400).  It is
>>   a cga card but it does have a hi res mode.  Does anybody
>>   know of a way to use it with Turbo Pascal 5.0 so that
>>   one can access the hi res?

  I came on this article a bit late so I didn't see the original
  note, but the SIGMA COLOR 400 card is not that strange.

  In fact it seemed to be a card ahead of it's time, back before
  any real high res "standards" existed...ie before ega and vga.

  The card is an antique, but it did have the ability to display
  graphics in 16 colors in 640 X 400 mode and was impressive with
  a high (for the time) scan rate monitor (25.5 kHz to 31.5 kHz).

  The card was great for text applications with a Taxan 640 monitor.
  Enough of the cards were sold that a number of
  graphics packages still support the card.

  The computer I am using (old 8088 system) has this same card, and
  I still get comments concerning the "great" resolution the system
  has...but then again the card and monitor were well matched, even
  if they do date from 1985.

  But if somebody wants to trade me a vga card and monitor.....

woody@eos.UUCP (Wayne Wood) (12/22/89)

In article <89354.200747DRF6@PSUVM.BITNET> DRF6@PSUVM.BITNET writes:

>  I came on this article a bit late so I didn't see the original
>  note, but the SIGMA COLOR 400 card is not that strange.
>
>  The card is an antique, but it did have the ability to display
>  graphics in 16 colors in 640 X 400 mode and was impressive with
>  a high (for the time) scan rate monitor (25.5 kHz to 31.5 kHz).

yes, but we are doinbg real time applications and need to switch pages
in hires mode... neat trick with only a single page...

>  The card was great for text applications with a Taxan 640 monitor.
>  Enough of the cards were sold that a number of
>  graphics packages still support the card.

see above... we don't need great looking text... we need superfast
graphics...

>  But if somebody wants to trade me a vga card and monitor.....

i have six of the damned things... and truly *need* the vga cards...
we may have to fight over this...

BTW... Dan is my supervisor... he might not see this posting until
its removed from our news-server... so what he doesn't know won't
hurt me...

:-) :-)

*** ...tongue tied and twisted, just an earth bound misfit, I...            ***
*** -- David Gilmour, Pink Floyd                                            ***
****** woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov *** my opinions, like my mind, are my own ******/