[comp.sys.ibm.pc] grape.ecs.clarkson.edu traffic jam

greene@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (John Greene) (12/21/89)

This is in regards to grape.ecs.clarkson.edu archives.  Lately it has been
really difficult to get into this machine because too many people are trying
to get files from it at the same time.  I thought that it may work better if
people starting using script files to do their downloading which would make
the process of downloading quicker and therefore making it easier for people
(like myself) to get in and download the files they would like.  For the
benifit of people who aren't familiar with using script files with FTP I
offer the following example:

First it helps to download either the "allfiles" file or the "files.bbs"
from each directory of interest.  This will allow you to browze the files at
your leisure and pick the ones you like.  Once you have decided on the files
you would like you create a file like the following:

open grape.ecs.clarkson.edu
user anonymous yourname@yourmachine
bin
cd /whatever/directory
mget file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 file6 file7 ....
quit

Then all you have to do is type "ftp -in < getfile".  Everything is done
quickly and automatically.

There is a way to execute a command at a specific time but I can't remember
what it is right now.  I have used it in the past to retrieve exceptionally
large files in the middle of the night when traffic is low.

--
John E. Greene    "People are just like frankfurters....You have to decide
                   if you're going to be a hot dog or just another wiener" DLR

In article <209@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> greene@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (John Greene) writes:

   This is in regards to grape.ecs.clarkson.edu archives.  Lately it has been
   really difficult to get into this machine because too many people are trying
   to get files from it at the same time.

This is true.  I recently (Friday) added code to prohibit new
connections if there were already too many (>30) connections.  Before
I added this code, NOS used to run out of memory.

I made the same decision that Keith Petersen did on Simtel20.  It's
better to provide good service to a few people than to provide unusably
bad service to everyone.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.

schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) (12/21/89)

I just have a couple of comments:

greene@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (John Greene) writes:

>.... Once you have decided on the files
>you would like you create a file like the following:

>open grape.ecs.clarkson.edu
>user anonymous yourname@yourmachine
>bin
>cd /whatever/directory

... Here I would add:
prompt

>mget file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 file6 file7 ....
>quit

>Then all you have to do is type "ftp -in < getfile".  Everything is done
>quickly and automatically.

I would add after the command: ">& somefile &"
This directs the output to somefile, and places the process in the background.

I wrote a very simple batch that tries to download some files from SIMTEL20,
and if it doesn't get all of them, it re-submits itself after about a 10 minute
delay and tries again. Of course there is a max retry limit.

>There is a way to execute a command at a specific time but I can't remember
>what it is right now.

It is "at" - see the man page.

>--
>John E. Greene    "People are just like frankfurters....You have to decide
>                   if you're going to be a hot dog or just another wiener" DLR
>TRW Systems Engineering and Development Division
>ARPA: greene@venice.sedd.TRW.COM  USENET: ..trwrb!venice!greene

		Steven
--
Steven V. Christensen
U.C. College of Eng.

kleonard@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM (Ken Leonard) (12/21/89)

In article <209@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> greene@venice.sedd.trw.com (John Greene) writes:
* This is in regards to grape.ecs.clarkson.edu archives.  Lately it has been
* really difficult to get into this machine because too many people are trying
* to get files from it at the same time.  I thought that it may work better if
* people starting using script files to do their downloading which would make
* the process of downloading quicker and therefore making it easier for people
* . . .
That's great _if_ the available ftp can do script files.

* . . .
* First it helps to download either the "allfiles" file or the "files.bbs"
Well, now, I've been into -grape- a few times myself, and I've downloaded
-allfiles- because the meaning of the name was rather obvious, and then
found that it doesn't tell a blooming thing _about_ any of the files!

And I've noticed the file called -files.bbs-, but what is there that should
give me any idea that I should look at it unless I'm interested in BBS
operations software?

Yes, this is a bit of a flame at the keepers of the grape, but there _are_
a number of open or semi-open anon-ftp systems that don't even have
something as simple as -allfiles-.

And I am appreciative of those folk who open part or their systems to
unknown others.  It takes at least a bit of guts and definitely costs some
money and is too often under-appreciated.

And I try not to demand that they provide all kinds of help to me.  But if
they want to help themselves (as in minimizing incoming workload), they
can best do it by offering some help (like indices of things) to their
anonymous user community.

And if they _are_ going to offer help, it's
probably a good idea to sort of "hold it up in plain sight" and make
it fairly obviously a helpful thing (to get first and examine "at home"
before starting a lot of workload).
-----------------
regardz,
Ken

greene@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (John Greene) (12/22/89)

In article <3183@uceng.UC.EDU> schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) writes:
>I just have a couple of comments:
>
>>open grape.ecs.clarkson.edu
>>user anonymous yourname@yourmachine
>>bin

>prompt

The "-i" option of the ftp command disables interactive prompting.

>>Then all you have to do is type "ftp -in < getfile".  Everything is done
>>quickly and automatically.

>I would add after the command: ">& somefile &"
>This directs the output to somefile, and places the process in the background.

Don't forget to use the "-v" option or all you will get in "somefile" is a
connect message and a goodbye.  The -v will report all transfer statistics
as well.

--

In article <NELSON.89Dec20164014@image.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:

| This is true.  I recently (Friday) added code to prohibit new
| connections if there were already too many (>30) connections.  Before
| I added this code, NOS used to run out of memory.

  If the code you added is the reason we can't get to grape anymore,
perhaps you could take another look at the way simtel20 does it. They
output a clear message "too many users, try later" or something like
that. Recently we have just been getting "connection timed out" from
grape, which of course encourages an immediate retry.

  Limiting logins is a good idea. Doing it in a way which mimics a
network failure is not. If this is a coincidence, disregard these
comments, they are meant as helpful suggestions, not criticism.
that the world is flat!" - anon

In article <1948@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

   In article <NELSON.89Dec20164014@image.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:

   | This is true.  I recently (Friday) added code to prohibit new
   | connections if there were already too many (>30) connections.  Before
   | I added this code, NOS used to run out of memory.

     If the code you added is the reason we can't get to grape anymore,
   perhaps you could take another look at the way simtel20 does it. They
   output a clear message "too many users, try later" or something like
   that.

You mean like this:

image.soe [1] %ftp grape.ecs
Connected to grape.ecs.clarkson.edu.
220 grape.ecs.clarkson.edu FTP version 890918 NOS ready at Thu Dec 21 15:53:40 1989
331 Enter PASS command
421-Too many ANONYMOUS users at the moment.
421 Please try again later.
Login failed.
ftp> quit
image.soe [2] %

   Recently we have just been getting "connection timed out" from
   grape, which of course encourages an immediate retry.

That should *not* be happening.  Our network was down for ten hours or so
the other night, plus grape crashed this morning.  Perhaps that was the
cause of your troubles?