[comp.sys.ibm.pc] graphics libraries for the PC - Microsoft C support necessary

dpm0@GTE.COM (Danielle Mack) (12/22/89)

I need to buy a graphics library package which supports Microsoft C
and takes advantage of VGA graphics modes.  I have been using the
routines supplied with the Microsoft compiler, but they aren't extensive
enough for what I want to do.  I have read about a few other libraries
(Media Cybernetics' Halo '88, South Mountain Software's Essential Graphics,
Connell Scientific Graphics' Enhanced Graphics Toolkit and Sutrasoft's
Graflib), but don't know enough about it to make a good decision.  I'd
appreciate any information about these or other packages.  I need to be able
to create objects and move them around pretty extensively (including changing
their orientation) and with any luck do some 3D shading as well.

Thanks in advance.

Danielle Mack
dpm0@bunny.gte.com
GTE Labs, Waltham, MA

fayne@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeffrey Fayne) (12/22/89)

In article <7943@bunny.GTE.COM> dpm0@GTE.COM (Danielle Mack) writes:
>I need to buy a graphics library package which supports Microsoft C
>and takes advantage of VGA graphics modes.

			[ misc.  deleted]

>enough for what I want to do.  I have read about a few other libraries
>(Media Cybernetics' Halo '88, South Mountain Software's Essential Graphics,
>Connell Scientific Graphics' Enhanced Graphics Toolkit and Sutrasoft's
>Graflib), but don't know enough about it to make a good decision.  I'd
>appreciate any information about these or other packages.  I need to be able
>to create objects and move them around pretty extensively (including changing
>their orientation) and with any luck do some 3D shading as well.

I don't profess to be an expert on the packages you mentioned, but a while
back I reviewed Essential Graphics package for a data-acquistion project
I was working on.  If the other packages are equivalent in nature to the
Essential package, I don't think this is what you are looking for.
It seems their primary concern is with "business-style graphics" (pie-charts,
graphs, etc.).  If I understand your requirements correctly, you would
like to do 3d object transformations and rotations.  I haven't seen any
packages to do this (would love to hear about some), but am currently
working on writing my own rotation/transformation primitives.
  If you wish to undertake this, try these texts for guidance:

	High Performance Graphics in C        |
	CAD Graphics in C                     |-  Lee Adams  TAB Books
	High Speed Animation and Simulation   |

	Excellent explanation of 3d object definition and rotations.
	(Titles may not be 100% accurate, but Adams has several books
         on this subject, try B. Dalton Booksellers)

	Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics
		Foley and van Dam    Addison Wesley

	Principles of Interactive Computer Graphics
		Newman and Sproul    Mc Graw Hill

	Applied Concepts in Microcomputer Graphics
		Bruce Artwick        Prentice-Hall
		(Artwick is of Microsoft/Sublogic Flight Simulator fame)

Please let me know if you find any packages that satisfy your requirements

				Good Luck,
						Jeff

 F-14           \      _      /             |  Jeffrey M. Fayne
   Tomcat        \   /^ ^\   /              |  Tellabs, Inc.
           --*/--|_| (___) |_|--\*--        |  fayne@tellab5.UUCP
              *       O O       *           |  Standard Disclaimer Applies