[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Re^2: IBM vs. Mac - Long

kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) (12/23/89)

jdarcy@pinocchio.encore.com (Jeff d'Arcy) writes:

>by woody@eos.UUCP (Wayne Wood):
>> Have you ever programmed on one of those pieces of shit?  That GUI you're so
>> damned proud of is a nuisance.

>If you're not willing to work a little harder to make the users' lives a
>little easier (a net gain in the long run), you're a pretty fucking lousy
>engineer (please note that this is a conditional statement).  I'm tired
>of the "technological" priesthood" who want technology for themselves and
>don't give a shit about bringing it to the rest of the world.

>Sorry for the profanity, but my patience is running *very* thin.

Encore! Encore! :-)  (I really couldn't resist!)

While we are on the subject, I'ld like to point out one of apple's
better ads:  A picture of a business head saying "I want a computer
that makes be better at what I do -- and I don't do computers!".  The
computer industry has a choice: we can do for computers what lawyers
have done for laws, or we can try to bring people and computers
together.  Personally, I don't *LIKE* to spend my time reading manuals
in order to get something done.  Very few are worth reading.  Besides,
think of UI as a form of job security:  More people use computers,
more programs will need to be written.  The more advanced the UI, the
easier it is to use and more dificult to program.  These translate
into greater demand for good software engineers.

+C
--
Cory Kempf		Technology Concepts	     phone: (508) 443-7311 x341
uucp:	{anywhere}!uunet!tci!kempf, kempf@tci.bell-atl.com