[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How does my system clock work?

griesel@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Curtis W. Griesel) (12/24/89)

In order to accomodate an add-on hard disk, I've
recently upgraded my 1984 Sperry PC from Sperry DOS 2.11
(licenced from MS of course) to MS DOS 3.3.  Before the
upgrade, the system was able to remember the time and
date once it was set; with the new DOS, the system clock
forgets the time and date when I re-boot.  I don't have
a clock option in any of the expansion slots, and the
worthless documentation that came with the machine doesn't
mention the system clock.  My questions are:

1.  How was my system, under Sperry DOS 2.11, able to keep
    track of the time and date, even when turned off?

2.  How can I get the system clock to keep track of the time
    and date with MS DOS 3.3?

I suspect the old DOS was grabbing the date and time from
somewhere every time it booted up, and the new DOS isn't
doing this.  I've never heard of this; how does it work?
--
               Curtis W. Griesel, griesel@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
                      Coordinator of Commputer Access

poffen@molehill (Russ Poffenberger) (12/26/89)

In article <17903@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> griesel@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Curtis W. Griesel) writes:
>In order to accomodate an add-on hard disk, I've
>recently upgraded my 1984 Sperry PC from Sperry DOS 2.11
>(licenced from MS of course) to MS DOS 3.3.  Before the
>upgrade, the system was able to remember the time and
>date once it was set; with the new DOS, the system clock
>forgets the time and date when I re-boot.  I don't have
>a clock option in any of the expansion slots, and the
>worthless documentation that came with the machine doesn't
>mention the system clock.  My questions are:
>
>1.  How was my system, under Sperry DOS 2.11, able to keep
>    track of the time and date, even when turned off?

All AT class machines, and some non-AT class clones have a clock chip that is
driven by a battery when the power is shut off. AT class machines have the
registers to read the time and date at boot up in a certain place that DOS (3.0and up) can read to set the time. I suspect that your machine had a hack done
to DOS 2.11 to support your specific machine.

>2.  How can I get the system clock to keep track of the time
>    and date with MS DOS 3.3?

You may have to get the technical info about the clock in your machine. Then
write a simple 'C' or assembly program that reads the info and stuffs it into
DOS. This is what the PC style utilities that come with expansion cards for the
PC do. (ie six-pack, etc) If you can get ahold of one of these, maybe (just
maybe) it would work, but I can't guarantee this, the Sperry machine may be one
of a kind.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254