[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Word for Windows, IBM DOS 4.0

homerun@portia.Stanford.EDU (Matt Watson) (12/13/89)

Microsoft put Word for Windows in production November 27, and it should be
shipping now.  I got to play with one of the first releases of it and it
is quite amazing.  While it is visually similar to the Macintosh version,
it has some great enhancements, such as a thesaurus/dictionary (with
definitions & usage) and full keyboard control if you choose not to use
the mouse (as with all windows apps).  You can paste in graphics from
other apps, scale and clip them.  It's *very* fast too -- compared to the
only other word processors for windows I know of, Ami and Ami Pro.

IBM doesn't call it's upgrade to DOS 4.0 version 4.01.  They felt it wasn't
even that much of an upgrade.  The actual DOS disks say 4.01 in very small
print, but the ver command only elicits a version 4.00.  If your command.com
file is 6/17/88 or newer, you have the updated version.

matt.

ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Chris Newbold) (12/13/89)

In article <7592@portia.Stanford.EDU> homerun@portia.Stanford.EDU (Matt Watson) writes:
>IBM doesn't call it's upgrade to DOS 4.0 version 4.01.  They felt it wasn't
>even that much of an upgrade.  The actual DOS disks say 4.01 in very small
>print, but the ver command only elicits a version 4.00.  If your command.com
>file is 6/17/88 or newer, you have the updated version.

I have IBM DOS v4.00 according to the books and ver command.  My command.com
is dated 6/17/88.  Why, then, won't MS Windows/386 run?  I called Microsoft,
and they said that I needed to upgrade from 4.00 to 4.01.  But if what you
say is correct, then I already have 4.01.  Comments/help?

--
University of Rochester	*  		  will screw it up."		     *
Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu * uhura.cc.rochester.edu!ctne_ltd@uunet

gerten@uklirb.UUCP (Rainer Gerten) (12/13/89)

In article <4492@ur-cc.UUCP> Chris Newbold writes:
>Why won't MS Windows/386 run?  I called Microsoft,
>and they said that I needed to upgrade from 4.00 to 4.01.  But if what you
>say is correct, then I already have 4.01.  Comments/help?

I had the same problem and Microsoft told me to update Windows 386 from
Version 2.03 to Version 2.11, because this would be the only Win386
which is able to run upon DOS 4.01

Perhaps this helps

| Rainer Gerten                                  |
| University of Kaiserslautern                   |
| West-Germany                                   |
| Mail: gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de       |
| Phone: 49(631)205-2510                         |

todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) (12/26/89)

There was an earlier message that said that Word For Windows was shipping.
I called Microsoft on December 22 (last week Friday) and was told that Word
for Windows *IS NOT* shipping yet and that current owners of Microsoft Word
5.0 wil be notified sometime in 1990 about upgrading.....todd
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd