[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Screen Blank Utility

king@oetl.UUCP (Steve King) (12/22/89)

     Hi,

     I am looking for a small public domain utility that will blank the
     screen after a set amount of time, and repaint it when either a
     mouse is moved or anykey is hit.  Would like it to be invokeable in
     autoexec.

     Thanks in advance

|           Stephen J. King  (No, I'm not the author, but have you seen       |
|                                my dog Cujo??? )                             |
| ..!leadsv!oetl!king                           LMSC SCF "High in the Hills"  |

RR.PPE@forsythe.stanford.edu (12/23/89)

In article <502@oetl1.oetl.UUCP>,
king@oetl.UUCP (Steve King) writes:
>     I am looking for a small public domain utility that will blank the
>     screen after a set amount of time, and repaint it when either a
>     mouse is moved or anykey is hit.  Would like it to be invokeable in
>     autoexec.
Look for BURNDEV somewhere.  Have used it reliably on everything
from Hercules card to VGA. Highelly recommended.

burton@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Philip Burton) (12/23/89)

In article <6686@lindy.Stanford.EDU> RR.PPE@forsythe.stanford.edu writes:
>In article <502@oetl1.oetl.UUCP>,
>king@oetl.UUCP (Steve King) writes:
>>     I am looking for a small public domain utility that will blank the
>>     screen after a set amount of time, and repaint it when either a
>>     mouse is moved or anykey is hit.  Would like it to be invokeable in
>>     autoexec.
>Look for BURNDEV somewhere.  Have used it reliably on everything
>from Hercules card to VGA. Highelly recommended.

I just tried to use Burndev v.31, but found it works ONLY with text-mode
applications.  With my Multi-sync (still connected to my EGA until I get a
VGA card) the screen turns to multi-colored garbage with Ventura Publisher.
Also, burndev doesn't respond to mouse actions.

With Excel and terun-time version of Windows, it's about the same.

baldwin@usna.MIL (LT Justin D. Baldwin <baldwin@usna>) (12/23/89)

In article <1338@mitisft.Convergent.COM>, Philip Burton writes:
>I just tried to use Burndev v.31, but found it works ONLY with text-mode
>applications.  With my Multi-sync (still connected to my EGA until I get a
>VGA card) the screen turns to multi-colored garbage with Ventura Publisher.

I assume you mean version 2.31.

Try installing BURNDEV.SYS in your config.sys file with the option H+ (hard-
ware mode on).  Maybe your system is just weird, but no one in this depart-
ment has ever had such a problem.  Though I don't use Ventura, I do use
TP, Quattro, PaintShow, AutoCad, WordPerfect, Cyrus, NCSA Telnet (in TEK4014
mode) and a wide variety of other text- and graphics-based applications.  I
have never had the problem you describe, or indeed any problem with getting
the screen to blank in hardware mode--though I've had a few weird results
installing it in the default software mode.  Also, the hardware mode is
less of a memory pig.

>Also, burndev doesn't respond to mouse actions.

Nothing to be done about that.  I find that I can live with hitting the
"Alt" key once in a while to reset the burnout timer.  In Quattro, I
set the timer to 0 in a batch file on invocation (disabling the blanking),
and reset it to five minutes on exit.  The same could be done for all
heavily mouse-based applications.
--
From the catapult of:               |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I
   _, J. D. Baldwin, Comp Sci Dept  |+| say, I am quite prepared not only to

burton@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Philip Burton) (12/27/89)

In article <326@usna.MIL> baldwin@cad.usna.mil (J.D. Baldwin) writes:
>In article <1338@mitisft.Convergent.COM>, Philip Burton writes:
>>I just tried to use Burndev v.31, but found it works ONLY with text-mode
>>applications.  With my Multi-sync (still connected to my EGA until I get a
>>VGA card) the screen turns to multi-colored garbage with Ventura Publisher.
>
>I assume you mean version 2.31.

Yes, I did mean v 2.31.  I just can't type too well.

>Try installing BURNDEV.SYS in your config.sys file with the option H+ (hard-
>ware mode on).

Yup.  Already did.

> Maybe your system is just weird, but no one in this depart-

I doubt it.  I have a gen-u-wine IBM PC AT 6 MHz (ripe for an upgrade),
and a gen-u-wine IBM EGA card with 256 KB RAM.  My new monitor is a NEC 3D.

>ment has ever had such a problem.  Though I don't use Ventura, I do use
>TP, Quattro, PaintShow, AutoCad, WordPerfect, Cyrus, NCSA Telnet (in TEK4014
>mode) and a wide variety of other text- and graphics-based applications.  I
>have never had the problem you describe, or indeed any problem with getting
>the screen to blank in hardware mode--though I've had a few weird results
>
>>Also, burndev doesn't respond to mouse actions.
>
>Nothing to be done about that.  I find that I can live with hitting the
>"Alt" key once in a while to reset the burnout timer.  In Quattro, I
>   _, J. D. Baldwin, Comp Sci Dept  |+| say, I am quite prepared not only to

Unfortunately, the ALT key solution doesn't work at all for Excel (Windows),
and with Ventura, it causes the multi-colored garbage to re-appear on the screen.
The only soluion is a reboot.