[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Miniscribe versus Control Data...

george@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (George Browning) (12/25/89)

Which hard drive would you recommend:
   1) Control Data Wren Model 3  Full height drive  150Meg
   2) Miniscribe 3180E  Half height drive  150Meg

I would choose the Miniscribe since it's smaller and seems to have
the same specs (transfer rate, seek time), but I've been reading
about a bunch of problems with other (smaller) Miniscribe drives.

Thanks,
george

| George Browning                  North Carolina State University  |
| george@ccvr1.ncsu.edu                                Raleigh, NC  |
|___________________________________________________________________|

In article <1989Dec25.145513.3471@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> george@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (George Browning) writes:
| Which hard drive would you recommend:
|    1) Control Data Wren Model 3  Full height drive  150Meg
|    2) Miniscribe 3180E  Half height drive  150Meg

  I would go with the full height drive. It may tend to run cooler, and
I believe MiniScribe is in financial trouble. I don't know if the Wren
III is part of the product line Seagate bought from CDC, but in any case
the company is stable.

  Of course both are good drives, and if you can get one a lot cheaper
you might let your wallet decide.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen@sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

poffen@molehill (Russ Poffenberger) (12/28/89)

In article <1989Dec25.145513.3471@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> george@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (George Browning) writes:
>Which hard drive would you recommend:
>   1) Control Data Wren Model 3  Full height drive  150Meg
>   2) Miniscribe 3180E  Half height drive  150Meg
>
>I would choose the Miniscribe since it's smaller and seems to have
>the same specs (transfer rate, seek time), but I've been reading
>about a bunch of problems with other (smaller) Miniscribe drives.
>
>Thanks,

In my opinion, the CDC would be a far superior drive in terms of reliability.
We have used, and continue to use, CDC drives ranging from 90Mbyte SCSI to
1.2Gbyte SMD drives with no troubles.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254

rob@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Rob McDonald) (12/29/89)

George Browning writes:
>Which hard drive would you recommend:
>   1) Control Data Wren Model 3  Full height drive  150Meg
>   2) Miniscribe 3180E  Half height drive  150Meg
>I would choose the Miniscribe since it's smaller and seems to have
>the same specs (transfer rate, seek time), but I've been reading
>about a bunch of problems with other (smaller) Miniscribe drives.
>george

From both personal experience (taking care of ~150 PC's) and hearsay,
the CDC WREN drives are very reliable.  All I can say about Miniscribe
is that they are more reliable than Seagate, but that's not saying much.
.....rob

--
EMAIL:   rob@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca  <<< Standard Disclaimers Apply >>>
ARCHAIC: Steltech, 1375 Kerns Rd., Burlington, Ontario, Canada, L7P 3H8.