[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Microsoft Mouse Installation

wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (wordproc) (12/29/89)

Has anyone tried using the Microsoft InPort Mouse with an AT running MSDOS 4.01?

I'm trying to do so and the machine does not seem to like it.  The machine
is a PC BRAND 286/20 running MSDOS 4.01.  The mouse's card is plugged into
one of the two eight-bit slots on the backplane, with the I/O board occupying
the other.  There was no documentation supplied with the mouse except the
warranty notice.  The mouse did come with a single driver disk.

The system would only lock up whenever I executed the MOUSE.COM until I
examined the card closely and moved a jumper from the "Normal" position
to an "XT Slot 8" position, figuring that I had the card in an 8-bit slot.

The mouse then worked fine and I ran the DOS 4.01 Shell, Ventura, Harvard
Business Graphics and Splash.  I then incorporated the MOUSE.SYS driver
into the CONFIG.SYS file.  The machine locked up when it reached the mouse
driver portion when I rebooted.  So I then took the driver out of CONFIG
and put the MOUSE.COM version into the AUTOEXEC file.  The system again
locked up on rebooting when it reached the mouse driver portion.

Then I took the driver out of the AUTOEXEC file and booted the machine with
no mouse driver at all.  It worked fine under keyboard control.  When I
executed the MOUSE.COM driver manually, the system locked up.

What's the problem?  I know that some applications may need separate attention,
but as I say the entire machine has trouble even booting, so I'd like to
get DOS to agree with it, at least, and then address any minor problems that
individual apps may have.

One thing I thought of was that the mouse driver version may not be current
enough.  It is Microsoft's mouse driver version 6.01 and has a copyright
date of 1983-87, and I don't think MSDOS version 4 was out at that time.

THANKS!

                                            _________             /
              Marcus Clenney   ___    ___  /___  ___/ ________   /
      U. of Central Florida   /   |  /   |    / /    / ______/  /
 Dept. of Computer Science   / /| | / /| |   / /    / /        /
       Orlando, FL  32816   / / | |/ / | |  / /    / /_____   /
 wordproc@ucf-cs.ucf.edu   /_/  |___/  |_| /_/    /_______/  /
____________________________________________________________/

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (12/29/89)

In article <1422@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU> wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (wordproc) writes:

>Has anyone tried using the Microsoft InPort Mouse with an AT running MSDOS 4.01?
>
>I'm trying to do so and the machine does not seem to like it.  The machine
>is a PC BRAND 286/20 running MSDOS 4.01.  The mouse's card is plugged into
>one of the two eight-bit slots on the backplane, with the I/O board occupying
>the other.  There was no documentation supplied with the mouse except the
>warranty notice.  The mouse did come with a single driver disk.
>                                            _________             /
>              Marcus Clenney   ___    ___  /___  ___/ ________   /

I assume that you must have bought a USED mouse fromsomeone who did not
provide you wish all the documentation that comes with the MS mouse.
The manual that comes with it tells you how to figure out how to configure
all the various jumpers on the in-port board. This configuration depends
on whether you have an ATor an XT and what other various peripherals are
in the system. I think it is likely that you simply need to find the
correct documentation for the inport board and set the jumpers properly.

The jumper for XT-slot-8 is not for an AT with 8-bit slots, but rather for
slot number 8 in a genuine IBM XT. One of the signals in that slot is different
than in all the other slots in an XT. (It so happens that in my XT clone that
the inport board works in slot 8 just fine WITHOUT setting that jumper to the
special slot-8 position.)

If you cannot find the doc, send me mail and I can reproduce on-line the
pertinent parts of the manual for you and mail it back.

Fred

fredex@cg-atla.agfa.com