[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Dead battery in a 286 clone

haverlan@tramp.Colorado.EDU (HAVERLAND MARC BRADLEY) (12/29/89)

I have a dead battery in a 286 clone that is marked 6.8V.  Can I replace
it with a 6V battery?  Does the answer depend on the particular clone in
question?  Its an American 286.

Thanks for any input,

Marc Haverland
haverlan@tramp.colorado.edu
650-1100

poffen@molehill (Russ Poffenberger) (12/30/89)

In article <15248@boulder.Colorado.EDU> haverlan@tramp.Colorado.EDU (HAVERLAND MARC BRADLEY) writes:
>I have a dead battery in a 286 clone that is marked 6.8V.  Can I replace
>it with a 6V battery?  Does the answer depend on the particular clone in
>question?  Its an American 286.

I can't think of any combination of known battery technologies that will get
you 6.8V

1) Nicad  1.25V per cell, closest is 6.25V or 7.5V
2) Carbon-Zinc (also alkaline) 1.5V per cell, 6V or 7.5V
3) Lithium 3V per cell, closest is 6V
4) Lead Acid (or gel-cell) 2V per cell, closest is 6V

I would say the 6V battery will probably work. Get a lithium if you can,
incredible shelf or low drain life ~5 to 10 years.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254