[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CPU/Monitor Power-on

h7@cbnews.ATT.COM (c.f.hempstead) (12/29/89)

What is the proper sequence for turning on your CPU and your monitor
when using a modern VGA card and a multiscan (multisynch) monitor?
I'm using the ATI VGAWONDER card to drive a SONY 1304 monitor, and
when the two are turned on simultaneously, the monitor often comes up
in a non-synched mode, with the successive scan lines such that the
characters are unreadable.  The VGA driver card is supposed to "read"
the monitor type (single scan frequency, or multiple), and automatically
adjust itself.  Thus, it seems that the monitor should be turned on
first, so the driver can "read" it.  But it probably isn't good for
a multiscan monitor to be running "open loop" very long, and if the
problem is caused by the driver card, perhaps it should be turned on
first, and then the monitor.  Explanations, suggestions welcome.
Thank you.
C. F. Hempstead att.mvups.h7

poffen@molehill (Russ Poffenberger) (12/30/89)

In article <12662@cbnews.ATT.COM> h7@cbnews.ATT.COM (c.f.hempstead,54234,wi,2n028,508 374 5423) writes:
>What is the proper sequence for turning on your CPU and your monitor
>when using a modern VGA card and a multiscan (multisynch) monitor?
>I'm using the ATI VGAWONDER card to drive a SONY 1304 monitor, and
>when the two are turned on simultaneously, the monitor often comes up
>in a non-synched mode, with the successive scan lines such that the
>characters are unreadable.  The VGA driver card is supposed to "read"
>the monitor type (single scan frequency, or multiple), and automatically
>adjust itself.  Thus, it seems that the monitor should be turned on
>first, so the driver can "read" it.  But it probably isn't good for
>a multiscan monitor to be running "open loop" very long, and if the
>problem is caused by the driver card, perhaps it should be turned on
>first, and then the monitor.  Explanations, suggestions welcome.

I am using a Fastwrite VGA card and Panasonic Panasync C1391 monitor (Very nice
monitor actually, and a lot cheaper than Sony's or NEC, and look just as good)
an I need to turn the monitor on first or at the same time as the computer or
the fastwrite can't read it's type correctly and just gives me black and white.
No sync problems though.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254