[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PerStor Controllers

orion@nuchat (Roland Dunkerley III) (12/22/89)

I am currently in the process of putting together a
machine, and have seen the ads for the PerStor Disk
controllers claiming to give 190% of the storage on a
standard MFM drive.  The drives I plan to use are a
Seagate ST-251, and an ST-4096.  If this gadget works
it would give me 228Mb instead of the 120 that these
drives provide, with a 9Mbit/s transfer rate instead of
5.  My question is have any of you used the PerStor
controllers, do they really work as advertised on
standard drives with no problems?  What technology do
they use to accomplish this?  I will be running Unix
System V/386 from Bell Tech on this box, has anyone
gotten such a combination to work with BellTech Unix,
or with any other SV/386?  Oh, the release number is
3.0 if that makes a big difference, I had heard that
scsi controllers don't work without the 3.2 update...
As usual, please reply by mail, and if anyone else
wants to know I'll either forward the info to them, or
summarize and follow-up.

   thanx in advance,
    Roland Pleasant Dunkerley III, K.S.C., NonD
    (orion@nuchat.sccsi.com)
    K A T E   B U S H   I S   G O D !

skipl@adaptex.UUCP (12/23/89)

/* Written  6:19 am  Dec 22, 1989 by nuchat.UUCP!orion%nuchat in adaptex:comp.sy.ibm.pc */
/* ---------- "PerStor Controllers" ---------- */
[...]
/ummarize and follow-up.
/
/  thanx in advance,
    Roland Pleasant Dunkerley III, K.S.C., NonD
    (orion@nuchat.sccsi.com)
    K A T E   B U S H   I S   G O D !
/* End of text from adaptex:comp.sy.ibm.pc */

I suggest that you be very careful with this approach. I spent 22 years in the
drive business and feel I know that technology very well. Don't know
anything about that controller company but I strongly recommend
you talk directly to the Seagate people to make sure the drives will
handle this and they will stand behind it. Try them at (800) 468-3472,
that's the last number I have for them. Looking forward to hearing about
your experiences. Maybe we are looking at something new and improved.

KUO@oregon.uoregon.edu (Shijong Kuo) (12/25/89)

> I got this article/ad. from a BBS. Maybe of interest to some people.

        	New PERSTOR 200	series ATF hard	disk controllers

Perstor	 Systems,  Inc.	 announces  the	latest additions  to  the
PERSTOR	200 series product line.  The PS180-16F	and the	PS200-16F
are Perstor's Advanced Data Recording Technology hard/floppy disk
controllers for	the IBM	AT,  386 computers,  and compatibles with
processor speeds up to 25 mHz.	Both controllers feature a 16 bit
bus and	are port address and register set compatible with the IBM
AT Controller. In addition both boards will function properly in
any 16 bit bus slot at speeds up to and including 16 Mhz and 0
wait states.

The  PS180-16F	and  PS200-16F include dual port RAM	 support  and
an onboard	 BIOS supporting over 60 different hard	disk drive
types. Each controller	supports two hard disk drives and two
floppy disk drives.	 Compatible floppy drives include 360K,
720K, 1.2MB and 1.44MB with either 5 1/4 inch or 3 1/2 inch form
factors.

The PS180-16F increases	the capacity of	new or existing	ST506/412
Winchester drives by 90%,  whether MFM or RLL.	It operates at	9
megabits  per  second  and allocates 31	sectors	 per  track,  The
PS200-16F increases the	capacity of new	or existing RLL	hard disk
drives	having	plated media by	a full 100%.  It operates  at  10
megabits per second and	allocates 34 sectors per track. Both
controllers are capable of operating with interleaves as low
as 1.

		       The Technical Specifications

The  Perstor  200 Series ATF Controller	is a  stand-alone  single
board,	general	 purpose  Winchester  hard disk	and  floppy  disk
controller.  It	 interfaces up to two hard disk	drives and up  to
two  floppy diskette drives to a host processor	having a  16  bit
bus  connection	 (an IBM AT or compatible utilizing an	80286,
80386SX or 80386	processor  AND	utilizing  the	16  bit	 dual
connector interface).  The controller uses the host BIOS which
be compatable with the IBM PC-AT BIOS in functionality.

The  Winchester	 interface is based upon the  Seagate  Technology
ST506/412HP  interface	specifications,	 as  enhanced  by  Perstor
Systems, Inc. All necessary receivers and drivers are included on
the board, allowing direct connection to the disk drive(s).

Separate  computer access ports	enable communications between the
host and disk or diskette controller.  An 8/16 bit bi-directional
bus  and appropriate control signals comprise these  ports.  Disk
read and write data,  status information,  and command parameters
are transferred	via this bus.  An on-board data	buffer allows bus
transfers  to  be  executed independently  of  the  drive's  data
transfer or transfer rate.

The  PERSTOR  200 series ATF Controller	is based  on  proprietary
custom VLSI integrated	circuits. The  RLL encoding scheme is a
modified time  shifted  IBM 3360 type format, which has the
highest	frequency in the  all zero mode.

The  PERSTOR  200  series ATF Controller connects to  the  system
board  using one of the	system expansion  slots.  The  controller
controls  the  5-1/4 or	3-1/2 inch floppy and hard  disk  drives.
Connectors on the controller supply all	the signals necessary  to
operate	up to two hard disks and two floppy disks. The controller
will  allow  concurrent	data operations	on one hard disk and  one
floppy disk.

The  controller	 operates  when	 connected  to	a  system   board
expansion  slot.  This channel is described in the "System Board"
section	 of  the  IBM Personal Computer	 AT  Technical	Reference
Manual,	or its equivalent from another manufacturer.

The fixed disk function	features 512-byte sectors, high-speed PIO
data transfers,	 ECC correction	of up to 22 bits on data  fields,
multiple  sector operations across track and cylinder boundaries,
and  on-board diagnostic tests.	 The controller	will support  two
fixed  disks with up to	16 read/write heads and	 2048  cylinders,
providing   that   the	host  machine  BIOS  will  support   such
capacities.

			 Standard Features

*  Fully compatable with MS/DOS or PC/DOS versions 2.0 thru 3.31,
   SCO Xenix System V and Novell Advanced Netware version 2.12
   and higher.
*  16 bit bi-directional bus host interface
*  IBM	AT  Winchester	controller  emulation,	IBM  PC	 AT  host
   interface
*  High	 performance data separator  and  write	 precompensation
   devices
*  Data	rates up to 10 megabits	per second
*  Controls up to two drives using ST506/412HP
*  Supports drives of any configuration	up to 2048 cylinders and
   16 read/write heads
*  The controlled drives need not be of	the same capacity or
   configuration
*  Error correction on data field errors (56 bit), CRC ID field
   verification
*  Extended ECC	polynomial for error detection and correction
   (22 bit span	or 11 bit span)
*  Automatic restore and re-seek on all	seek errors
*  Automatic formatting
*  512 bytes per sector
*  Sector interleave capability, selectable from 1 to 1	 to  16	to 1
   interleave ratio for	each drive independently
*  Multiple sector reads and writes
*  Overlapped seek capability on buffered-step drives
*  Supports implied seeks on all commands
*  Internal diagnostics
*  DMA transfer	capability
*  Supports interrupts,	interrupt requests, and	DMA request
   sharing
*  Includes socket for user or PERSTOR supplied	2764 BIOS ROM
   extended drive tables
*  Perstor PS180 and PS200 IBM PC/AT compatible	BIOS
*  RLLC	2,7 modified (IBM 3370 format) Advanced	Run Lenght
   Limited Coding
*  360K	& 1.2mb	5-1/4",	720K & 1.44mb 3-1/2" floppy support
*  Extended drive table	support	with on	board bios at C800:0

		      Addtional Features

*  Supported by Ontrack Systems Disk Manager, Storage Dimentions
   SpeedStor and Golden Bow Systems V-feature Deluxe formating and
   partitioning software. Also by Gibson Research Spinrite,Paul
   Mace's Mace Utilities and Peter Norton's Norton Utilities and
   Norton Utilities Advanced Edition disk diagnostics programs.

*  Ability  to	have two of the	 Perstor  controllers  co-reside,
   allowing control of up to FOUR hard drives.

*  Supportes Ontrack Systems SUPERPROMS enhancement proms.

*  The 8-bit and 16-bit	controllers can	co-exist.

*  The 8-bit and 16-bit	controllers are completely format
   compatable allowing drives to be moved from one to the other
   by simply pluging and unpluging cables.

*  Stand alone SETUP program that will allow CMOS reconfiguration
   via the user	supplied or PERSTOR supplied extended drive type
   tables.  Current  BIOS will have over 60 drives types  defined
   for you to select from.

*  Competitive pricing with combination	controllers  that  offer
   far less hard drive	and floppy drive features or performance.

*  Optional dual quad density support for floppy diskette drives,
   with	up to 1Megabit transfer	rate, and unlimited track support
   for the floppy diskette drives (4 Mbyte per diskette	capacity,
   formats to 2.88 Mbyte). A Perstor industry first .

*  The Perstor 200 Series ATF controller will be available in two
   models.  The	 PS180-16F  will  be familiar to you as	 the  big
   brother  to	the  PS180,  with 31 sectors  per  track,  and	a
   transfer rate of 9mbits per second.	The PS200-16F will be the
   equivalent  of the PS200,  with 34 sectors per  track,  and	a
   transfer rate of 10mbits per	second.

   Further information may be obtained by contacting Mark Fife
   Vice-President Sales Perstor Systems at (602) 991-5451. Twenty
   four hour Bulletin board technical support is available by modem
   on the Perstor BBS at (602) 998-4939 at up to 9600 baud.
   Ted Buck SYSOP.
<end of	file>

In article <6100040@adaptex> skipl@adaptex.UUCP writes:

| I suggest that you be very careful with this approach. I spent 22 years in the
| drive business and feel I know that technology very well. Don't know
| anything about that controller company but I strongly recommend
| you talk directly to the Seagate people to make sure the drives will
| handle this and they will stand behind it. Try them at (800) 468-3472,
| that's the last number I have for them. Looking forward to hearing about
| your experiences. Maybe we are looking at something new and improved.

  Two points: first Seagate won't support any RLL on non-RLL drives,
they sell RLL drives for higher prices. However, I have used the PS180
with ST4096 and ST251 without problems. I have not used the new
PS180-16F and PS200-16F which have the floppy controller. Second,
Perstor is an OLD controller company, I believe I did business with them
in the 70's for S-100 stuff.

  The original PS180 didn't have a floppy controller and wasn't
compatible with UNIX. I sent mine back. It DID work very well for DOS,
however, which satisfied a lot of customers. The new versions do have
the floppy controller, and do work with UNIX. The new 16 bit "200
series" controllers are 16 bit and the 200-16F offers 34 sectors/track,
which doubles the capacity of the drive. They claim it will work with
any plated media drive, and I believe they have a 30 day return policy.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen@sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (12/30/89)

davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>In article <6100040@adaptex> skipl@adaptex.UUCP writes:
>
>| I suggest that you be very careful with this approach. I spent 22 years in the
>| drive business and feel I know that technology very well. Don't know
>| anything about that controller company but I strongly recommend
>| you talk directly to the Seagate people to make sure the drives will
>| handle this and they will stand behind it. Try them at (800) 468-3472,
>| that's the last number I have for them. Looking forward to hearing about
>| your experiences. Maybe we are looking at something new and improved.
>
>  Two points: first Seagate won't support any RLL on non-RLL drives,
>they sell RLL drives for higher prices. However, I have used the PS180
>with ST4096 and ST251 without problems. I have not used the new
>PS180-16F and PS200-16F which have the floppy controller. Second,
>Perstor is an OLD controller company, I believe I did business with them
>in the 70's for S-100 stuff.
>
>  The original PS180 didn't have a floppy controller and wasn't
>compatible with UNIX. I sent mine back. It DID work very well for DOS,
>however, which satisfied a lot of customers. The new versions do have
>the floppy controller, and do work with UNIX. The new 16 bit "200
>series" controllers are 16 bit and the 200-16F offers 34 sectors/track,
>which doubles the capacity of the drive. They claim it will work with
>any plated media drive, and I believe they have a 30 day return policy.

What if their controller kills the drive?  A possibility, and what if I
develop problems with the drive after sending the PerStor back and my
(Seagate) drive dies and Seagate refuses to service it because it was
formatted ARLL?

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | My opinions are exactly that,
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | mine.  Bill Gates couldn't buy
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | it, but he could rent it.  :)
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

In article <1011@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:

| What if their controller kills the drive?  A possibility, and what if I
| develop problems with the drive after sending the PerStor back and my
| (Seagate) drive dies and Seagate refuses to service it because it was
| formatted ARLL?

  You make your own decision. This has been beaten to death. There is no
reason why formatting a drive in any format should (a) hurt it, or (b)
prevent it from being reformatted in another format. After you reformat
it MFM it doesn't show RLL use, and there's no reason for ANY
manufacturer to void the warantee. If the drive dies completely I doubt
that anyone is going to fix it so they can see what format is on it, and
in testing the fix they would reformat it anyway.

  Seagate doesn't want to replace drives which are okay MFM (as
designed) and bad RLL. Therefore they void the warantee if you tell them
you did it. If you want total warantee coverage and cost is no object,
go ESDI or SCSI.