[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hercules mono monitor with VGA?

nohlenbu@bbn.com (Norbert Ohlenbusch) (12/29/89)

I hope someone out there can help me with these questions - I haven't seen them
discussed before in any articles I've stumbled upon.

 Is it possible to use a TTL monochrome monitor designed for standard Hercules
 graphics with a SuperVGA card in SOME or ANY of the graphics modes?  (The card
 has both analog and TTL outputs and uses the Trident chip.)

	1. Is it atleast possible to use the this combination in Hercules graphics
           mode? How about CGA, EGA, (or lower resolution modes of VGA?)
	   I'm especially interested in the EGA possibilities.
	2. How much danger is there to the monitor?  What can I do to minimize
           this risk?
	3. Is it possible to have both VGA card and Hercules cards installed
           simultaneously?
	4. Does anyone out there have a chart of the required monitor frequency
           for each of the popular graphics 'standards' (HERC, CGA, and the
           many EGA, VGA modes)

						Thanks,
							Norbert Ohlenbusch
							nohlenbu@bbn.com

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (12/31/89)

nohlenbu@bbn.com (Norbert Ohlenbusch) writes:

> Is it possible to use a TTL monochrome monitor designed for standard Hercules
> graphics with a SuperVGA card in SOME or ANY of the graphics modes?  (The card
> has both analog and TTL outputs and uses the Trident chip.)

>	1. Is it atleast possible to use the this combination in Hercules graphics
>           mode? How about CGA, EGA, (or lower resolution modes of VGA?)
>	   I'm especially interested in the EGA possibilities.

	It'll probably work for Hercules mode. It *can't* work for CGA or most
	EGA modes (there is one EGA mode that is intended for EGA cards
	connected to mono monitors, it should work)

>	2. How much danger is there to the monitor?  What can I do to minimize
>           this risk?

	There'sn't *too* much danger, but I'd turn it off *fast* if a mode
doesn't seem to be working.

>	3. Is it possible to have both VGA card and Hercules cards installed
>           simultaneously?

	Yep, I've got both in my machine. just be sure to set your hercules
	card to "half" mode (ie only use the first 32k of video ram). You'll
	also be unable to use any of the "monochrome" modes on the VGA.

--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]