[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HD upgrade on Tandy-1200

kelliher@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Thomas P Kelliher) (12/21/89)

I have a Tandy-1200 with 256K RAM running DOS 2.11.  The machine has two
full height drives, one a 360K floppy and the other a 10M HD.  The HD is a
Tandon with a Western Digital Controller.  The ROM Bios is Tandon version
2.6, dated 2/4/85.

Something in the HD sub-system (SS) seems to have taken a dive (for the second
time).  The low-level formatter marks every sector as bad.  I have been told
that this particular HD SS has reliability problems.

My questions are as follows: Is it possible to replace the current HD SS with
a ST-225 or a Hardcard?  Will a ST-225 fit into the drive bay?  Would it be
worth it to have the current HD SS repaired (for the second time)?  The first
repair held for about two months.  If I can upgrade to another HD, does the
ROM Bios or anything else need to be upgraded simultaneously?

In advance, thanks for your advice.

Tom Kelliher,  Penn State,  kelliher@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu

STEELE@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (Greg Steele, OSU/IRCC, (614)292-4843) (01/02/90)

In article <1989Dec20.171245.23555@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu>,
	kelliher@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Thomas P Kelliher) writes:
> I have a Tandy-1200 with 256K RAM running DOS 2.11.
> ...  The ROM Bios is Tandon version 2.6, dated 2/4/85.
> My questions are as follows: Is it possible to replace the current HD SS with
> a ST-225 or a Hardcard?  Will a ST-225 fit into the drive bay?  Would it be
> worth it to have the current HD SS repaired (for the second time)?  The first
> repair held for about two months.  If I can upgrade to another HD, does the
> ROM Bios or anything else need to be upgraded simultaneously?
> Tom Kelliher,  Penn State,  kelliher@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu

I am sitting here writing my reply to you on a 1200HD with a Seagate
ST-11R controller and two ST-250R 40-megabyte RLL drives. It also has
both 3.5 and 5.25 inch floppies, with the 3.5 as drive "A". The bios
has not been updated, nor has the motherboard, but it all works! I'm
also running PC-dos 3.3 with no trouble. My recommendation is to find
the cheapest replacement hard drive & controller that's large enough
to suit your purposes, and install it! Any 1/2 or full height 5-inch
form factor drive will fit in the drive bay just fine. If the drive is
extremely fast, you may have to increase the sector interlace in the
low-level formatting to prevent lost revolutions (for instance, the
RLL drives I have require 4:1 interlace on the 1200hd). Good luck.
Gregory (Greg) E. Steele              (Internet):steele@mps.ohio-state.edu
Network Engineer                      or TS0038@ohstvma.ircc.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University             (BITNET): TS0038@OHSTVMA
Instruction & Research Computer Center
1971 Neil Avenue - Rm 406             Voice: 614-292-4843
Columbus, OHio  43210-1210            FAX:   614-292-7081