[comp.sys.ibm.pc] QRAM - Anyone have any experience with it?

legg@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Christian Legg) (01/02/90)

  Does anyone out there have any experience with a package called QRAM, from
Quarterdeck? It is a high memory loader program that supposedly works with
any IBM or compatible (PC upwards). I have seen a few ads for this package in
DDJ but would be interested to hear from anyone who has first hand knowledge
of the product.

     Thanks in advance

            Christian Legg
               (legg@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au)

fontana@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Josep M. Fontana) (01/02/90)

>  Does anyone out there have any experience with a package called QRAM, from
>Quarterdeck? It is a high memory loader program that supposedly works with
>any IBM or compatible (PC upwards). I have seen a few ads for this package in
>DDJ but would be interested to hear from anyone who has first hand knowledge
>of the product.

   QRAM is not shipping yet, and QOS hasn't announced when it will be.
First hand knowledge will be difficult to come by at the moment. QOS
is, though, accepting orders for it and will not charge credit cards
until shipping. Call +1 213 392 9851 and ask for Sales to get more
information or Orders to order.

   QRAM is not a general solution for PC users suffering from RAM
cram. It will only work with EMS 4.0 or EEMS memory and will only load
into "high memory"; that is, memory addressed between 640K and 1024K.

Josep M.

-- Josep Maria Fontana,
   3940 Locust Walk (MLCH)
   Philadelphia, PA 19104

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (01/02/90)

In article <699@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> legg@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Christian Legg) writes:

>  Does anyone out there have any experience with a package called QRAM, from
>Quarterdeck? It is a high memory loader program that supposedly works with
>any IBM or compatible (PC upwards).

I don't have any experience with it, but would guess from the ads that it
works by permanently mapping EMS pages to gaps in high memory.  If my guess
is right, then it'll only work with EMS boards with spare mapping registers.

Can anyone tell me how to determine how many mapping registers my EMS board
has?  (It's the XT board from Boca Research, and is LIM 4.0 compatible,
but can't run Desqview.)

Duncan Murdoch