[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AMI BIOS & Memory Upgrade

gustoffm@lung.UUCP (Mark Gustoff) (12/28/89)

I have a 386 20mhz PC with motherboard produced in Taiwan. It has
the C&T CHIP set, and AMI BIOS dated 4-30-89. This system came with
1 MB of ram on the motherboard via 4 SIPP modules. I ordered 4 1MB
SIPP modules in order to expand the memory to 4MB (1MB conventional+
3MB extended RAM).

Apparently, the 4 256K SIPPS cannot be replaced with the 4 1MB SIPPS
and everything works fine. I tried this, the PC just beeps at me
annoyingly. In the very brief manual that I have they make mention
of a set up program called SETUP386.com which is suppose to store
the appropriate information for the registers in CMOS. This is
apparently a program that gets run upon system bring-up. But I don't
have this program.

Is this needed? Did the company not send it to me because their is an
easier way to do this?   If so please let me know how.

There is a setup routine in ROM that I can gain access to but I don't
think it's the avenue to take, becuase I tried changing register values
to accomodate 1MB SIPPs in Bank 0 and 1, and insured interleave mode
was off, but after powering down, pulling 256K SIPPs and replacing
1MB SIPPs then powering back up, the boot screen still just shows 640K
with no extended memory.

Any suggestions folks? What do I try next? Anyone else with similar
Motherboard get upgraded OK

Thanks ---- Mark

--
Mark Gustoff - WO7T
P.O. Box 42742

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (12/29/89)

In article <47adab37.15c1a@lung.UUCP> gustoffm@lung.UUCP (Mark Gustoff) writes:
>I have a 386 20mhz PC with motherboard produced in Taiwan. It has
>the C&T CHIP set, and AMI BIOS dated 4-30-89. This system came with
>1 MB of ram on the motherboard via 4 SIPP modules. I ordered 4 1MB
>SIPP modules in order to expand the memory to 4MB (1MB conventional+
>3MB extended RAM).
>
>Apparently, the 4 256K SIPPS cannot be replaced with the 4 1MB SIPPS
>and everything works fine. I tried this, the PC just beeps at me
>annoyingly. In the very brief manual that I have they make mention
>of a set up program called SETUP386.com which is suppose to store
>the appropriate information for the registers in CMOS. This is
>apparently a program that gets run upon system bring-up. But I don't
>have this program.

My AMI BIOS dated 1989 in my Taiwan 386SX system allows you to enter the
setup by pressing DEL during the boot.  I called AMI to get a tech reference
for their BIOS, they want $25 for it, plus shipping and handling.  My SX
allows either 256K or 1M SIMMS in the first bank (of four) and ditto in the
second bank.  If 1M and 256K are to be mixed, the 1M SIMMS must be in the
first bank, and the 256K in the second bank.  I realize that this is what
you say you have done, I'm just confirming your setup.

    |  I I I I I I I I                               |
    |  I I I I I I I I                               |
    |  I I I I I I I I                               |
    |  I   slots     I                               |
    |  I I I I I I I I                               |
    |  I I I I I I I I          motherboard          |
    |  I I I I I I I I                               |
    |      4321                                      |
    |      iiii                                      |
    |      iiii SIMM/SIPP banks (2M each)            |
    |      iiii                                      |
    |      iiii                                      |
    ~                                                ~

When I receive my docs, if they apply to your system, then I'll post my

findings.

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
Kaleb Keithley

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (01/03/90)

In article <47adab37.15c1a@lung.UUCP+, gustoffm@lung.UUCP (Mark Gustoff) writes:
+ I have a 386 20mhz PC with motherboard produced in Taiwan. It has
+ the C&T CHIP set, and AMI BIOS dated 4-30-89. This system came with
+ 1 MB of ram on the motherboard via 4 SIPP modules. I ordered 4 1MB
+ SIPP modules in order to expand the memory to 4MB (1MB conventional+
+ 3MB extended RAM).
+

I don't have my '286 AMI machine here, but if I remember correctly, you
should leave the 256K devices in the lower banks, and add the 1Mb ones
into the extension. Then use the ROM BIOS setup routine to reconfigure
your machine to 5Mb. I'm fairly sure mine won't allow 256K devices in the
expansion slots, there's a fair chance yours is the same.

ATB

Dave E.