[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WordPerfect 5.1: Questions

ajfried@ramones.rutgers.edu (A.j. Fried) (12/12/89)

Hi,

	Does anyone out there have any experience with WordPerfect version 5.1?
Specifically, the so called "table editor".  How does this table editor work,
and how is the output compared to the kinds of things you can create with Lotus 123 and Allways.  Does WordPerfect offer the same sort of formatting
flexibility?

	Also, I understand that, unlike V. 5.0 which would only print special
characters supported by your printer, V5.1 will treat all special characters
as graphics thus allowing them to be printed on any printer.  Is this true?

	Well, thanks.  Any other WordPerfect V5.1 comments will be appreciated.  Feel free to E-mail responses, or post if you want.

						-->A.J. Fried
						-->ajfried@paul.rutgers.edu

jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (12/13/89)

A.j. Fried writes:

> 	Does anyone out there have any experience with WordPerfect version 5.1?
> Specifically, the so called "table editor".  How does this table editor work,
> and how is the output compared to the kinds of things you can create with Lotus 123 and Allways.  Does WordPerfect offer the same sort of formatting
> flexibility?

It works very well. It is easy to use and reasonably intuitive. I haven't used
123 or Always, so I can't compare.

> 	Also, I understand that, unlike V. 5.0 which would only print special
> characters supported by your printer, V5.1 will treat all special characters
> as graphics thus allowing them to be printed on any printer.  Is this true?

Yes

> 	Well, thanks.  Any other WordPerfect V5.1 comments will be appreciated.

The documentation is much better -- almost twice as thick and more readable
and complete.

The new macro/merge facilities offer some really interesting possibilities
of executable text. A significant imporvement.

The mouse support is very nice for those things that you don't use often
enough to have memorized. For the everyday functions, keystrokes are much
faster than moving your hand to the mouse.

There are hundreds of improvements and new features, but the major stuff
is tables, macros, merge and mouse. Absolutely worth the $85 upgrade cost.

Jim Winer -- Post, don't email, I usually can't reply.
opinions not necessarily |  "And remember, rebooting your brain
and do not represent     |   can be tricky." -- Chris Miller
any other sane person    |
especially not employer. |

burleigh@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Frank Burleigh) (12/14/89)

jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) writes:

>There are hundreds of improvements and new features, but the major stuff
>is tables, macros, merge and mouse. Absolutely worth the $85 upgrade cost.

Ah, but one might argue you forgot one *very* important new feature:
equations.  Also nice is the addition of tabs relative to the margins
and a help system whose information can now (usually) be reached from
within a selection menu.  Spreadsheet importing/linking is also well
done.

--
Frank Burleigh  burleigh@cica.cica.indiana.edu
USENET: ...rutgers!iuvax!cica!burleigh BITNET: BURLEIGH@IUBACS.BITNET

eichi@forty2.UUCP (Stefan Eichenberger) (12/14/89)

In article <Dec.11.18.15.53.1989.13147@ramones.rutgers.edu> ajfried@ramones.rutgers.edu (A.j. Fried) writes:

>	Also, I understand that, unlike V. 5.0 which would only print special
>characters supported by your printer, V5.1 will treat all special characters
>as graphics thus allowing them to be printed on any printer.  Is this true?

To add a question: What are all these WP characters? (I'm not yet a user
of WP!) I heared, WP 5.1 includes sort of a formula editor. Does this support
other than those characters included in IBMs extended ASCII set? Is it
suitable for technical / mathematical texts? Is it an approach to what
Lotus Manuscript (or LaTeX for that matter) tries to do in a less WYSIWYG way?

UUCP:      ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!eichi         Stefan Eichenberger
BITNET:    K807817@CZHRZU1A                      University of Zurich

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (12/16/89)

Here's my question to add to the list:  does WordPerfect 5.1 crash systems when
run in a MicroSoft Window (the way WordPerfect 5.0 does)?
--
	Arthur David Olson   ado@alw.nih.gov   ADO is a trademark of Ampex.

In article <9220@elsie.UUCP> ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
>Here's my question to add to the list:  does WordPerfect 5.1 crash systems when
>run in a MicroSoft Window (the way WordPerfect 5.0 does)?

Don't know about this.  BUT, I did just install 5.1 on a 3Com file server
running 3Com 3+ share version 1.1.  WP claims that this network is
supported.

First time I tried to print the test document, I got:
	Disk Error 58 reading drive F:
Upon exiting WP, I discovered that my server's FAT was trashed; over
5000 lost clusters.  Had to reformat/reload the server (which if you've
ever done it, is no picnic; takes hours).  I then reinstalled WP
and it did the same thing.

WP has been next to useless.  They claim it is a DOS error and not
their fault.  Of course, no other software has ever done this.  So,
here we sit with a commercial product that makes most VIRUSES look
tame.  I *used* to be very pleased with WP support, but am losing
my good will towards them fast.

Mark Urban-Lurain                        urban@cpswh.cps.msu.edu
Computer Science Dept.                   urbanluraimg@clvax1.cl.msu.edu
Michigan State University
A-714 Wells Hall                         (517) 353-0682   office
East Lansing, MI     48824               (517) 355-5210   department

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (12/22/89)

>WP has been next to useless.  They claim it is a DOS error and not
>their fault.  Of course, no other software has ever done this.  So,
>here we sit with a commercial product that makes most VIRUSES look
>tame.  I *used* to be very pleased with WP support, but am losing
>my good will towards them fast.
>Mark Urban-Lurain                        urban@cpswh.cps.msu.edu

The fact that no other software does this does not mean it is not
a DOS bug. If a company does a good job of testing their software,
the bugs that make it out to customers *should* be obscure ones
that only a few people will find.

If there is no workaround then there is not much that WP can do
except tell you who to yell and scream at (Microsoft or 3Com.)

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) (01/03/90)

Re: wp 5.1  I've been only able to get it to run in a full screen window
in Desqview on XT clone with 1 meg expanded.  Good support for labels using
text! Unable so far to get graphics printed on labels, but haven'
haven't given up yet.  Documentation is so heavy I hate lugging it around,
totals around 1600 pages 5 x 8, incl workbook.