[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ZIP question

unhd (Roger Gonzalez ) (12/22/89)

I've been trying to download some .ZIP files that I ftp'ed off
grape.ecs.  I downloaded them to my PC using the Kermit option
in Procomm (I couldn't get XMODEM to work.. something about
bad packets), and used PKUNZIP (1.01?) to unzip them.  I got
the message "Can't handle .." a couple times.  I realize that
I'm not being to explicit about version numbers and comm settings,
but I did this last week so I don't remember.

Any hints appreciated,
Roger

--
UUCP:   ..!uunet!unhd!rg      | USPS: Marine Systems Engineering Laboratory
BITNET: r_gonzalez at unhh    |       University of New Hampshire

sdawalt@wright.EDU (Shane Dawalt) (12/24/89)

  If you do indeed have PKUNZIP 1.01, then you need to upgrade.  Current
version is PKUNZIP/PKZIP 1.02.  I'm not sure of 1.01's abilities, but 1.02
allows imploding techniques.  This compression scheme is probably not provided
in 1.01.  I do not remember exactly what 1.01 offered as far as compression
schemes go.

  Shane

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (12/25/89)

In article <890@thor.wright.EDU> sdawalt@wright.EDU (Shane Dawalt) writes:

>  If you do indeed have PKUNZIP 1.01, then you need to upgrade.  Current
>version is PKUNZIP/PKZIP 1.02.  I'm not sure of 1.01's abilities, but 1.02

I wouldn't think this is so.  The 1.02 version is a fix of some
special bugs in 1.01.  It is not a true upgrade.  Get 1.02 by all
means (I have done so), but unless the problem was what 1.02 fixed,
this probably won't help.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

sdawalt@wright.EDU (Shane Dawalt) (12/26/89)

in article <1989Dec25.084953.12149@uwasa.fi>, ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) says:

> I wouldn't think this is so.  The 1.02 version is a fix of some
> special bugs in 1.01.  It is not a true upgrade.  Get 1.02 by all
> means (I have done so), but unless the problem was what 1.02 fixed,
> this probably won't help.

   Again, I'm not certain which version it occured in (I think I skipped
the 1.01 release), but there are incompatabilities between v0.92 and v1.0x
.ZIP files.  On the v1.02 release, a special program was included to update
the .ZIP files.  This was probably mentioned in the v1.01 material.  Other
than these incompatabilities between .ZIP files, nothing else could be wrong
_except_ for blown .ZIP files.  If the latter problem existed, the unzip
utility would be printing messages noting CRC errors.  Therefore, it must be
a ZIP version problem.

  I suggested the 1.02 release (instead of 'upgrade') since my version included
programs which would change v0.92 .ZIP files into 1.0x compatable .ZIP files.
It may very well be that v1.01 had these same files.  I do not know.  Reading
of the information file in the 1.02 release explains how the 0.92 .ZIP files
can be updated for 1.0x compatability.  (I assume the person who launched this
thread has read the appropriate information files provided in the ZIP archive.)

  Shane

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (12/27/89)

In article <891@thor.wright.EDU> sdawalt@wright.EDU (Shane Dawalt) writes:
>in article <1989Dec25.084953.12149@uwasa.fi>, ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) says:
>>
>> I wouldn't think this is so.  The 1.02 version is a fix of some
>> special bugs in 1.01.  It is not a true upgrade.  Get 1.02 by all
>> means (I have done so), but unless the problem was what 1.02 fixed,
>> this probably won't help.
>>
>   Again, I'm not certain which version it occured in (I think I skipped
>the 1.01 release), but there are incompatabilities between v0.92 and v1.0x
>.ZIP files.

The incompatibility occurs, as Shane states, across the 0.92 to 1.0x boundary.
The difference between 1.01 and 1.02 is minor, as I recall, the documentation
mentions a bug fix for ceratin 386 users in 1.02. Otherwise, I believe 1.01
and 1.02 are the same. Both of them should be able to create/decode files
created in the "new" format (called "imploding").

Fred

roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) (12/28/89)

In article <891@thor.wright.EDU>, sdawalt@wright.EDU (Shane Dawalt) writes:
>    Again, I'm not certain which version it occured in (I think I skipped
> the 1.01 release), but there are incompatabilities between v0.92 and v1.0x
> .ZIP files.

The 1.01 version added a new type of compression, called "Imploded"
files. (the extraction, of course, is called 'Exploding') As best as I
can tell, the Imploding technique stemmed from Phil Katz' adaptation of
some of Yoshi's techniques in LHarc. The adaptation went very well...
many times, PKZ102 will pack a file tighter than LHarc. (LHarc still
does better with Self-Extracting archives, though, because the SFX
header is so much smaller [1322 bytes])

PKZ092 will look at a 101 zipfile, but it will report Imploded files as
compression type 'unknown'. Attempts to extract them will result in the
message "Don't know how to handle 'filename'".

Of course, PKZ101/2 will handle 092 files just fine. The 102 version did
have some bug fixes, but the docs say the fixes were for 286/386
machines, and had to do with some esoteric memory handling peculiar to
the advanced architecture.

>   I suggested the 1.02 release (instead of 'upgrade') since my version included
> programs which would change v0.92 .ZIP files into 1.0x compatable .ZIP files.
> It may very well be that v1.01 had these same files.

The REZIP package was included with the PKZ102 I have. There is also a
package called ZIPKIT8 that has some handy Zip-handling utilities, such
as for adding comments from a file. (handy if you run a bbs, as you can
easily add a standard comment to all your downloadables)

Hope this all helps......

--
_R_o_y _M_. _S_i_l_v_e_r_n_a_i_l  | UUCP: uunet!comcon!roy  |  "Every race must arrive at this
[ah, but it's my account... of course I opine!]  point in its history"

Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) (12/28/89)

In an article of <22 Dec 89 14:24:32 GMT>, rg@uunet!unhd (Roger Gonzalez ) writes:

 >I've been trying to download some .ZIP files that I ftp'ed off
 >grape.ecs.  I downloaded them to my PC using the Kermit option
 >in Procomm (I couldn't get XMODEM to work.. something about
 >bad packets), and used PKUNZIP (1.01?) to unzip them.  I got
 >the message "Can't handle .." a couple times.

Before panicking try getting a copy of PKZIP v1.02 (the latest) and
see if that cures the problem.

--
Howard Spindel - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!14.8!Howard.Spindel

hstroma@hubcap.clemson.edu (hepburn m stroman) (12/29/89)

From article <890@thor.wright.EDU>, by sdawalt@wright.EDU (Shane Dawalt):

>   If you do indeed have PKUNZIP 1.01, then you need to upgrade.  Current
> version is PKUNZIP/PKZIP 1.02.  I'm not sure of 1.01's abilities, but 1.02
> allows imploding techniques.  This compression scheme is probably not provided
> in 1.01.  I do not remember exactly what 1.01 offered as far as compression
> schemes go.
>
>   Shane
Somebody may have said this already (what with Christmas and our flaky
feed), but
NO. All versions of PKZip 1.0 and greater use "imploding". 1.02 is a
minor bug-fix release.  Only "beta" versions of zip (like 0.90) do not
support "imploding".

Historical note: the algorithm used for imploding was not origainally
designed by P Katz for Zip. Shortly before planned release of 1.0, a
Japanese archiver (lharc) came out with a compression scheme which had
significantly (sp?) better compression that anything on the market, so
Katz delayed the official (1.0x) release of zip while he "studied" and
incorporated the technique used in lharc.

H Stroman
hstroma@hubcap.clemson.edu

bradley.grigor@canremote.uucp (BRADLEY GRIGOR) (12/31/89)

rd>From: rg@uunet!unhd (Roger Gonzalez )
rd>Orga: Marine Systems Engineering Lab
writes:

rd>I've been trying to download some .ZIP files that I ftp'ed off
rd>grape.ecs.  I downloaded them to my PC using the Kermit option
rd>in Procomm (I couldn't get XMODEM to work.. something about
rd>bad packets), and used PKUNZIP (1.01?) to unzip them.  I got
rd>the message "Can't handle .." a couple times.  I realize that
rd>I'm not being to explicit about version numbers and comm settings,
rd>but I did this last week so I don't remember.

Sounds like a PKUNZIP version problem -- try using V1.02.

-- bag -- Newmarket, Ontario, Canada -- The Land of TelePoker
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a18 #4613  This space intentionally left _____.

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (01/03/90)

In article <890@thor.wright.EDU> sdawalt@wright.EDU (Shane Dawalt) writes:
$  If you do indeed have PKUNZIP 1.01, then you need to upgrade.  Current
$version is PKUNZIP/PKZIP 1.02.  I'm not sure of 1.01's abilities, but 1.02
$allows imploding techniques.  This compression scheme is probably not provided
$in 1.01.  I do not remember exactly what 1.01 offered as far as compression
$schemes go.

   No, 1.01 uses imploding.  As far as I know, V1.02 is a minor bug fix
release and does not introduce any new compression methods.

   Version 0.92 uses "reducing" and "shrinking"; version 1.01 uses "imploding"
and "shrinking".

--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";