[comp.sys.ibm.pc] help needed for ATI VGA wander

everett@ut-emx.UUCP (Everett W) (12/28/89)

I purchased a 25Mhz Micronics 386 system with ATI vga wander recently.
Unfortunately, ATI wander seems will not work with the motherboard.
The type of the motherboard is cache - I and has 32K sram cache. The monitor
I use is a NEC 3D. Each time I install the adoptor it works fine until it died
when it runs some programs. There is no responce from keyboard, reset. screen is
black. I can not repeat the crash with the same program.
And it wouldn't reboot even I turn power off and on. If I take the adopter out
and reinstall it, it will run for a while and die. I tried the ega/relocated on
and off, with/out rambio.sys and it still not work.

  I would appreciated if somebody give me some advice on it. Is micronics has
compatability problem with ATI VGA wander ?

            Thanks for help.

cox@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Ben Cox) (12/28/89)

In article <22825@ut-emx.UUCP> everett@ut-emx.UUCP (Everett W) writes:
>I purchased a 25Mhz Micronics 386 system with ATI vga wander recently.
>Unfortunately, ATI wander seems will not work with the motherboard.
>The type of the motherboard is cache - I and has 32K sram cache. The monitor
>I use is a NEC 3D. Each time I install the adoptor it works fine until it died
>when it runs some programs.  There is no responce from keyboard, reset.
>Screen is black. I can not repeat the crash with the same program.
>And it wouldn't reboot even I turn power off and on. If I take the adopter out
>and reinstall it, it will run for a while and die. I tried the ega/relocated on
>and off, with/out rambio.sys and it still not work.
>
>  I would appreciated if somebody give me some advice on it. Is micronics has
>compatability problem with ATI VGA wander ?
>
>            Thanks for help.

There does not seem to be any inherent ATI/Micronics incompatibility, as the
system I am currently typing on is a Micronics 16MHz motherboard with an ATI
VGAWonder video card.  However, the 25 MHz cache board may have problems, due
to an increased expansion bus rate (the ATI may not be capable of a higher bus
speed -- I dunno what your bus speed is), or some other problem related to the
cache.  Try disabling the cache and/or reducing your bus rate (you may have to
get into some DIP switches to do this) and see what happens.  I know that the
ATI VGAWonder is capable of running at 10 MHz (I and my father are both doing
this successfully), but I dunno about 12.5 (which may be where your 25 MHz
motherboard is at).  Your motherboard probably has an option to set the bus
speed back down to the 8 MHz speed (it better!).

Ben Cox
b-cox2@uiuc.edu (forwarded wherever I go)

kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) (01/04/90)

>Unfortunately, ATI wander seems will not work with the motherboard.
>The type of the motherboard is cache - I and has 32K sram cache. The monitor
>I use is a NEC 3D. Each time I install the adoptor it works fine until it died

I have almost exactly the same setup as you (except my card is the ATI VGA
WONDER:-).  I use the high speed bus setting (12.5 MHz) and have used both
shadowed and unshadowed video bios with no problems.  It's the standard setup
GATEWAY 2000 ships as their 25MHz 386 machine.

Ken