From: perlin@acf5.NYU.EDU (Lolita)
Date: 3 Jan 90 16:32 EST
Subject: How to go down in a cold hand...
Newsgroups: rec.games.bridge

In article <1990Jan2.180601.28283@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> bharat@delta.UUCP (R. Bharat Rao) writes:

>		86,A953,AKT64,K4
>J3,KJ84,J2,AQ732		Q4,QT762,75,T985
		AKT9752,_,Q983,J6

You are
>amazed to find that you have actually won the match, when South played
>in 6S, and was down 1.

>Nope - nobody misplayed the hand. Can you figure the actual double
>dummy defence that gives you the best chance of beating 6S? Its pretty
>simple, and I'll post it in a couple of days.

>-Bharat
>R.Bharat Rao
>E-Mail: bharat@gaea.cs.uiuc.edu
>US Mail:AI Group, Beckman Institute, Univ. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.

This seems pretty simple. Cash the ace of clubs and upon seeing dummy
casually switch to your *singleton* trump.  And then show me a declarer
who won't take a second round trump finesse!

This actually happened at the Lancaster Nationals where I had to play
   KJxx  Qxxx AQ  Txx opposite (in hand) Axxx AKx void AK98xx
in 7 no-trump. when I got a passive spade lead and the queen of spades
didn't drop in two rounds, and clubs were 2-2 I played the hand as a
double squeeze, catching righty in a spade-heart squeeze.

On the other hand, a friend of mine was unlucky enough to play the hand
in 6 spades (with everyone in the world making 6 losing just the Queen of Spades)
against Mike Cappelletti, Sr. who lead his *singleton* club (from Qx)
and the declarer took the second round club hook, and YOU WOULD TOO!

Asya

Asya Kamsky        |ACBL is to bridge like the | She's making movies on location
kamsky@acf8.nyu.edu|Moral Majority is to sex.  | she don't know what it means