[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ibm ps/2 error 163

roberta@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Roberta Hodara) (01/04/90)

Has anyone encountered the 163 error upon booting up on an IBM ps/2 model
60 ? I know that a 162 then 163 error may mean the battery is low.  But
I thought that 163 alone may mean something is wrong with the external
5 1/4 diskette drive.
If it is a battery problem - any advice on battery care ?  Also, does
this problem have anything to do with dasddrvr.sys ?

carlson@gateway.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson) (01/06/90)

In article <5895@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> roberta@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Roberta Hodara) writes:
>Has anyone encountered the 163 error upon booting up on an IBM ps/2 model
>60 ? I know that a 162 then 163 error may mean the battery is low.  But
>I thought that 163 alone may mean something is wrong with the external
>5 1/4 diskette drive.
>If it is a battery problem - any advice on battery care ?  Also, does
>this problem have anything to do with dasddrvr.sys ?

I got 162 and 163 errors with our PS/2 Model 60 and therefore assumed I needed
a new battery.  This was further confirmed by switching batteries with another
PS/2, since the first PS/2 then booted up with no problems.

However, in the meantime I had called our maintenance (they have spare
batteries) and they were on the way.  When he arrived he measured the voltage
in the "bad" battery and said it was okay.  We then reinstalled the
old battery and the PS/2 again booted correctly.  The old
battery has been back in for about a month and I've never gotten the 162, 163
errors again.

The maintenance guy said the dasddrvr.sys file can cause similar problems, but
ours was installed properly and he ruled this out.   He also said they had
some problems with external 5 1/4 inch high density drives, but he also
ruled this out since our 5 1/4 was a low density drive.

You might want to try taking the battery out, let the machine lose the
configuration memory and then reinitialize the PC.  Its all magic, but it
might work.

Bruce Carlson
carlson@gateway.mitre.org