[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Have you been shorted for Windows?

ARRITT@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (What a waste it is to lose one's mind.) (01/07/90)

I've bought two computers in the past 6 months or so which were supposed
to come with Windows (286 in one instance, 386 in the other).  In both
cases I was shorted for Windows.  This was a very minor annoyance for the
286 machine, but was infuriating in the case of the 386 -- the whole
reason I bought a 286 was to do multitasking!

From talking to friends and reading various newsgroups, it seems this
is fairly common.  Has this happened to you?  Is there a good reason
for this (i.e., is Microsoft getting behind) or are the computer vendors
just trying to save a few bucks?  What are your experiences/opinions?

P.S. the 286 was a Zenith and the 386 was from Club Technologies
Ray Arritt                        |
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy    |
Univ. of Kansas                   |
Lawrence, KS  66045               |
arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu         |
arritt@ukanvax.bitnet             |

In article <20858@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, ARRITT@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (What a waste it is to lose one's mind.) writes:

> This was a very minor annoyance for the
> 286 machine, but .was infuriating in the case of the 386 -- the whole
> reason I bought a 286 was to do multitasking!

mea culpa -- "the whole reason I bought a *386* was to do multitasking"

Sorry for any confusion.