[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Crosslinked files in MS-DOS

wdawe@geac.com (Wayne Dawe) (01/05/90)

I have been experiencing a problem with crosslinked files on a Samsung
clone running MS-DOS. It has had a problem with crosslinked files. The
first time this problem occurred the FAT was almost 50% corrupted. The
2nd occurence was less severe but affected approx. 20 files. As many
as 4 files were linked to the same cluster. At the same time there were two
subdirectories that were partially corrupted with garbage written to
parts of some disk sectors. The hard disk passes all disk tests and
appears OK otherwise. I would be very interested in finding out if anyone
else has had this type of a problem and has been able to determine the
cause.

Please email me as I may miss posted replies. I will summerize to the
net if interest warrants.

--
Wayne Dawe
wdawe@geac.com

bdn@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Bryan D. Nehl) (01/07/90)

In article <1990Jan4.210414.4085@geac.com> wdawe@geac.com (Wayne Dawe) writes:

>I have been experiencing a problem with crosslinked files on a Samsung
>clone running MS-DOS. It has had a problem with crosslinked files.

>Wayne Dawe
>wdawe@geac.com
>{uunet!jtsv16,yunexus,utgpu}!geac!wdawe

I have run into a similar problem.  I added a second hard drive to
my DTK 10mhz xt system, WD rll 1002-27x? controller (3:1), with
seagate 238r and rodime 3.5".  I have the rodime set to drive C: and
the seagate set to drive d:.  I know I have everything set correctly
according to western digital.  I am using the hard drive cable with the
twist in the end.  I am using IBM PC dos 3.2.  The problem is that
when the rodime is seeking a certain sector it starts looking at the
seagate to try and find the info!  This has happened using VOPT, Speeddisk
and Spinrite.  Both Spinrite and VOPT marked these two spots bad after
seeking for quite a while.  However, both drive with the exception of
the two places I mentioned seem to check out okay under spinrites deepest
level of testing.  My question is: If I upgrade to ms-dos 4.01 will the
linking problem go away?  Also, is there anything I can do to
possible rectify this problem?

Thanks for the help,

Bryan.
--
[   Big Bad Bear Beasties Inc.    ][   Bryan Nehl                  ]