[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Gateway 386

victor@hercule.cs.concordia.ca (Victor Krawczuk) (01/04/90)

Hello:

     I am considering purchasing a Gateway 2000 386/20 system for
home use.  Has anyone have any comment to make on this company
and/or computer (386/20)?  Are you satisfied with their products
or have you had a bad experience??

     With their low prices and fully stocked systems, are they too good
to be true??

                                                 Thanks in advance,

                                                   Vic.

In article <1763@clyde.concordia.ca> victor@hercule.CS.Concordia.CA (Victor Krawczuk) writes:

|      I am considering purchasing a Gateway 2000 386/20 system for
| home use.

|      With their low prices and fully stocked systems, are they too good
| to be true??

  I have talked to several people who have them, and they were all happy.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen@sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

sukthnkr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Rahul Sukthankar) (01/04/90)

In article <1763@clyde.concordia.ca> victor@hercule.CS.Concordia.CA (Victor Krawczuk) writes:

>     I am considering purchasing a Gateway 2000 386/20 system for
>home use.  Has anyone have any comment to make on this company
>and/or computer (386/20)?  Are you satisfied with their products
>or have you had a bad experience??

I purchased a Gateway 2000 386/20 system in late September.  I have had
absolutely no problems with the machine.  Before buying the computer
I called their toll-free number many times with questions about the
machine and they patiently answered all of them.

I have no hesitation in recommending the firm.

-- Rahul Sukthankar

galler@mae01.ncsu.edu (Richard Galler) (01/04/90)

> >     I am considering purchasing a Gateway 2000 386/20 system for
> >home use.  Has anyone have any comment to make on this company
> >and/or computer (386/20)?  Are you satisfied with their products
> >or have you had a bad experience??
> >
> I purchased a Gateway 2000 386/20 system in late September.  I have had
> absolutely no problems with the machine.  Before buying the computer
> I called their toll-free number many times with questions about the
> machine and they patiently answered all of them.
>
> I have no hesitation in recommending the firm.
>
> -- Rahul Sukthankar

Even better, when I called their toll-free number to quiz them, not only
were they cordial and
helpful, they even Fed-Ex'ed me all sorts of information.  And I had
even told them that it would
be a minimum of 3 to 6 months before I purchased the machine.  Recommended.

   ->  Richard Galler

sills@aerospace.aero.org (Andy Sills) (01/04/90)

In article <1763@clyde.concordia.ca> victor@hercule.CS.Concordia.CA (Victor Krawczuk) writes:
>Hello:
>
>     I am considering purchasing a Gateway 2000 386/20 system for
>home use.  Has anyone have any comment to make on this company
>and/or computer (386/20)?  Are you satisfied with their products
>or have you had a bad experience??
>
>     With their low prices and fully stocked systems, are they too good
>to be true??

	You can look up the article by Mike Faiman (see below) where
he summarizes the experience of Gateway users. It convinced me to look
at them. I also called TRW which handles repair for them. They reported
that Gateway products are very reliable, they've been in business for 4
years and have 50,000 systems in the field. They have very loyal
employees, do $15 million each month, and their assembly line is very
good. TRW doesn't stock spares right now, theu've just started their
association with Gateway, but if Gateway continues as they have been,
TRW will send their own people to training and begin stocking spares
across the country in their depots.

From usc!brutus.cs.uiuc.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!m.cs.uiuc.edu!faiman Fri Dec 22 07:57:27 PST 1989
Article 44386 of comp.sys.ibm.pc:
>From: faiman@m.cs.uiuc.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Gateway responses

    My thanks to all those who responded to my request for information
about Gateway's clones.  A couple of people asked me to post the results.
Here they are.

 -- Mike Faiman, Urbana

Andy

pabres13@pc.usl.edu (Joubert John V.) (01/08/90)

I have got one (Gateway 386-20),and I recommend having a look see at
Compuadd and/or PCBrand. Nuf' Said

John Joubert                                      |  /\  |    /\    |     _
Internet: pabres13@usl-pc.usl.edu                 |  \|<>|>|> \|<>|>|><`|`|
USENET: ...!{dalsqnt,killer}!usl!usl-pc!pabres13  |--/|-------/|------------