[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PS/2 30 Hard Disk Failure, Need Help

li@utkux1.utk.edu (li) (01/08/90)

	I own an IBM PS/2 Model 30(bought it one year too early) in 87.  Just a
week ago, I opened the box and clean it with a soft brush.  Then I put the
cover back on.  Everything was fine until today, when I turned on the computer,
it said "1701-Fixed Disk Failure" or something like that.  The light indicator
of hard disk kept blinking.  I could not get it up.

	Does anybody know what is wrong?  I don't think I messed anything up
when I cleaned inside.  All I did was brush dust off chips(carefully).  I did
not even touch hard disk.  Also, I noticed that computer is making much less
noise than before.

	What I think is that maybe a power line to hard disk is loose(?).  I
have no experience on such thing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Another thing I am wondering is that how to do a low level format to hard disk.
Anybody know?

Summary of problem:  When computer turned on, hard disk light indicator blink
                     three times, wait for 1 second, then three more times and
                     continue.  Hard disk is not making any noise(should it?).
		     I am getting less noise from computer than before.  The
		     Message is "1701 - Fixed Disk Failure(Error)".

ANY help will be greatly greatly appreciated.

Please reply e-mail directly to me.

Thank you,
Hai Li

li@utkux1.utk.edu (li) (01/08/90)

	A follow up of my previous article.  I checked hard disk(opened cover)
and it is seated tightly.
	It seems that the hard disk is not even powered up to me.  Isn't there
supposed to be a fan for the hard disk?

Hai Li

steve@pmday_2.Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) (01/08/90)

In article <1564@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu> li@utkux1.cs.utk.edu (li) writes:

>	A follow up of my previous article.  I checked hard disk(opened cover)
>and it is seated tightly.
>	It seems that the hard disk is not even powered up to me.  Isn't there
>supposed to be a fan for the hard disk?
>
>Hai Li

I've never seen a disk that has a fan built in.  It is possible that the
power supply in the PC is shot (I missed your original posting).

To see if the disk is spinning, take the cover off of the PC, make sure
all the disk cables are plugged in (including the power connection), and
turn on the PC.  Put your hand against the disk cabinet.  If you feel a
VERY SLIGHT vibration, the disk is spinning.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER take the disk apart.  If you do, you will probably
contaminate the disk.

My own feeling is that the power supply is shot.  I have seen power supplies
that when completely disconnected from any load meter properly.  But when an
led is connected to one of the power leads coming out of the power supply,
the power supply does not meter properly.

If you know of a good repair place (perhaps where you bought the system),
take it in to them.  They should have the equipment to check the system out.
--
Steve Bridges                    | NCR - USDPG Product Marketing and Support OLS
Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM     | Phone:(513)-445-4182 622-4182 (Voice Plus)

poffen@molehill (Russ Poffenberger) (01/09/90)

In article <801@pmday_2.Dayton.NCR.COM> steve@pmday_2.Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) writes:
>In article <1564@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu> li@utkux1.cs.utk.edu (li) writes:
>>
>>	A follow up of my previous article.  I checked hard disk(opened cover)
>>and it is seated tightly.
>>	It seems that the hard disk is not even powered up to me.  Isn't there
>>supposed to be a fan for the hard disk?
>>
>>Hai Li
>
>I've never seen a disk that has a fan built in.  It is possible that the
>power supply in the PC is shot (I missed your original posting).
>
>To see if the disk is spinning, take the cover off of the PC, make sure
>all the disk cables are plugged in (including the power connection), and
>turn on the PC.  Put your hand against the disk cabinet.  If you feel a
>VERY SLIGHT vibration, the disk is spinning.
>
>NEVER, NEVER, NEVER take the disk apart.  If you do, you will probably
>contaminate the disk.
>
>My own feeling is that the power supply is shot.  I have seen power supplies
>that when completely disconnected from any load meter properly.  But when an
>led is connected to one of the power leads coming out of the power supply,
>the power supply does not meter properly.
>
>If you know of a good repair place (perhaps where you bought the system),
>take it in to them.  They should have the equipment to check the system out.

I doubt if the power supply is out (at least not completely dead) because he
said that some lights and stuff still work, that indicates it is supplying
power. Some power supplies MAY have different circuits for each of its power
cables coming out, perhaps the one to the disk is bad.

If the power cable to the disk is currently plugged in securely, then perhaps
switching that power lead with a spare one (assuming there is a spare, usually
there is), or with the floppy drive just to see if the disk powers up.

If this is still a no-go, then it IS possibble the disk died. A good repair
shop may be the only alternative to a non-technical person.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254