[comp.sys.ibm.pc] recommendations wanted for cheap VGA card and monitor

kgreen@dukeac.UUCP (Kendall B Green) (01/02/90)

I am interested in anyone's opinions about various brands of VGA
monitors and video cards.  I mainly do text work with some graphics,
Smalltalk V/286, Flight Simulator, Balance of Power.  I definately
want a VGA system and would prefer higher resolutions if appropriate
drivers are available.  Color is a plus but so is a reasonable price.

I am interested in a monitor advertized in the Jan issue of Computer
Shopper by COMPEQ.  It is called Loop Super VGA CT 1469.  1024x768
resolution, .28 mm dot pitch, 31K and 35K frequencies and auto-switching
are the advertized specs.  The price seems to be too good to be true,
$339.  Any comments?

A number of companies seem to be selling Trident chip VGA controllers for
less than $150.  They claim 1024x768 resolution.  Any comments?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Ken Green
--
Kendall B. Green
Duke University Medical Center

In article <1699@dukeac.UUCP> kgreen@dukeac.UUCP (Kendall B Green) writes:

| A number of companies seem to be selling Trident chip VGA controllers for
| less than $150.  They claim 1024x768 resolution.  Any comments?

  I have a Trident chip in my Hedaka, and it runs 1024x768, 800x600, and
640x480x256 as specified. *However*, you need to add memory to the board
to get the higher resolutions, so add about $32 to the price.

  This chipset is supported by fractint and vpic, two of the programs I
use in hi-res modes.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen@sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (01/07/90)

In article <1699@dukeac.UUCP>, kgreen@dukeac.UUCP (Kendall B Green) writes:

> I am interested in anyone's opinions about various brands of VGA
> monitors and video cards.  I mainly do text work with some graphics,
> Smalltalk V/286, Flight Simulator, Balance of Power.  I definately
> want a VGA system and would prefer higher resolutions if appropriate
> drivers are available.  Color is a plus but so is a reasonable price.
>
> I am interested in a monitor advertized in the Jan issue of Computer
> Shopper by COMPEQ.  It is called Loop Super VGA CT 1469.  1024x768
> resolution, .28 mm dot pitch, 31K and 35K frequencies and auto-switching
> are the advertized specs.  The price seems to be too good to be true,
> $339.  Any comments?

It is a VERY GOOD PRICE (I think), but not outrageously so -- it may be a
private label (dumped) version of the Seiko 1430, and if so, it's pretty good.
The only real drawback is that the 1430 doesn't support 800x600 resolution.
You get 640x480 and 1024x768.  And, of course, currently available VGA cards
don't support 1024x768 256-color modes, so your best 256 color support is
640x480.

> A number of companies seem to be selling Trident chip VGA controllers for
> less than $150.  They claim 1024x768 resolution.  Any comments?

The work very marginally at 1024x768 (STB doesn't make a Trident card for this
very reason -- they are not cost competitive if you use RAM chips that are
fast enough to work at a 45 MHz dot clock).  Our testing shows that most of the
80 ns 64Kx4 DRAMS work pretty well (all day) at 800x600, but you need faster
ones to get 1024x768 to work after the card warms up.

> Thanks in advance for your responses.
>
> Ken Green
> --
> Kendall B. Green
> Duke University Medical Center
> Durham, NC 27710
> kgreen@dukeac.ac.duke.edu   or ...mcnc!escgate!dukeac!kgreen

NOTE: Special notice to disclaimer lawyers:  I work for STB Systems, Inc., and
I am one of the people who decided not to market a Trident based card (we make
cards based on Chips & Technologies, Cirrus and Tseng Labs chips -- an equal
opportunity video chip user ;^).

Charles Marslett
BIOS Guru, Class II
STB Systems, Inc.   <-- apply all standard disclaimers
chasm@attctc.dallas.tx.us

mitsolid@csd2.NYU.EDU (Thanasis Mitsolides) (01/08/90)

I have both the loop monitor and the trident VGA card you mentioned.
I don't know much about monitors, but the quality looks great to me.

One problem of the VGA card is that it supports 800x600 on 16 colors only.

Also, my VGA card is damaged. It will not always boot in VGA mode.
But it always boots in CGA mode.
I will return it.

BTW, it includes a driver for windows 386 on 1024x768 resolution.
]

Thanasis

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (01/09/90)

In article <10875@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) writes:
|> Shopper by COMPEQ.  It is called Loop Super VGA CT 1469.  1024x768
|> resolution, .28 mm dot pitch, 31K and 35K frequencies and auto-switching
|> are the advertized specs.  The price seems to be too good to be true,
|> $339.  Any comments?
|
|It is a VERY GOOD PRICE (I think), but not outrageously so -- it may be a
|private label (dumped) version of the Seiko 1430, and if so, it's pretty good.

Nope, the CM-1430 is .26 mm DP. That actually would be a super price
considering the best price I've seen for the Seiko alone is $488.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil