[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Everex RAM 3000?? board

mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) (01/09/90)

In article <1990Jan5.172841.15352@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>You are right about the RAM3000 being LIM 3.2 hardware with 4.0 LIM software
>emulation. Windows 286 CAN use this type of memory, I know, I did it. I ended
>up getting my money back on it though because it was incompatible with my
>system, it would give errors randomly, crash the system occassionally, etc. I
>ended up getting an intel AboveBoard which works great.

Well, sort of.  Windows uses it to copy inactive tasks to instead of a ramdisk.
But the board does NOT support the type of context switching that Windows (and
DesqView) would like to have.  Sure, DesqView can dump inactive tasks to it as
well, but that is a lot more overhead than merely switching page registers
as on a REAL EMS 4.0 board.

(this topic is now dead!).
--
| Mark S. Lord                           | Hey, It's only MY opinion. |