[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Northgate experiences please

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (01/05/90)

Would you please email me your experiences with Northgate
both good and bad?

Please excuse me if I'm beating a dead horse.
--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell}vector!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton@holston.UUCP

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (01/06/90)

In article <5655@holston.UUCP>, barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
> Would you please email me your experiences with Northgate
> both good and bad?

We got one. It's great. We popped the pwer supply at one point,
and they sent us one FED Ex right away. (I.E. BEFORE they received the
busted one back... just like they say).  We use the keyboard in our lap
and as a result their newer style OMNI KEY/102 is not so cool, because
the cable often slips out the connector and locks SCO UNIX (V/386 3.2)
right up (dead bang). We talked to Northgate about this and they swapped
us a keyboard (ditto on the Fed Ex). Total down days (since we've owned
it) = 2.

Recommendation: get yourself more than 65Mbyte of disk if you want the
SCO UNIX with Development System. Also: specify that you want a mother
board which can hold more than 4Mbyte of RAM (Even if you don't want
to buy it right away). Not all of their 386 mother boards can hold
more than 4Mbyte on board; and you'll only get one 32 bit slot. If
you have to use it for memory, you can't use it for a killer caching
controller - a definite cramp in the upgrade path.

Overall: Northgate makes Fast systems which are reasonably reliable
but backed by their excellent (helpful and courteous) service, you
don't need to worry about not buying Compaq or Big Blue.

> Please excuse me if I'm beating a dead horse.

Well, I don't know. Are you beating a dead horse?

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

caf@omen.UUCP (WA7KGX) (01/08/90)

In article <646@s5.Morgan.COM> amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:
:and as a result their newer style OMNI KEY/102 is not so cool, because
:the cable often slips out the connector and locks SCO UNIX (V/386 3.2)
:right up (dead bang).

Strange ... I have an Omni Key 102 whose cable is permanently attached
to the keyboard.  I also have an OmniKey PLUS which does have such a
connector, and unplugging it from the keyboard is not fatal.

How if only I could get the documentation on how to use the extra keys
(F13-F15) that I specified in my order  ...

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (01/08/90)

In article <6@omen.UUCP>, caf@omen.UUCP (WA7KGX) writes:
> In article <646@s5.Morgan.COM> amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:
> :and as a result their newer style OMNI KEY/102 is not so cool, because
> :the cable often slips out the connector and locks SCO UNIX (V/386 3.2)
> :right up (dead bang).
>
> Strange ... I have an Omni Key 102 whose cable is permanently attached
> to the keyboard.  I also have an OmniKey PLUS which does have such a
> connector, and unplugging it from the keyboard is not fatal.

How old is your OmniKey 102? The New style is only about six months old,
according to their tech support. The new style has the same kind of
connector as the OmniKey Plus - (detatchable); the old style does not.
You may not experience the lockup problem if your motherboard is not
the same as mine: I have an 'old' (i.e. not more than 4Mbyte on board
restriction) Elegance 20Mhz motherboard. But their may be an entire
sequence of motherboards: Northgate re-engineers these things on a
very frequent basis compared to other companies. Shall we compare
serial numbers?

> How if only I could get the documentation on how to use the extra keys
> (F13-F15) that I specified in my order  ...

Yeah - they're pretty serious about building to order - and that's
one of the reasons we all get different stories on the little details
like keyboard connectors, etc. Northgate seems to concentrate on the
lowest price high quality components as opposed to the stick with one
good supplier theory. This is why, when you call Northgate technical
support, they will call up your configuration in their database and ask
if you've installed any hardware or software since they last heard from
you. They only have one really good tech for Xenix - and her name is
Kathleen - and most of her experience is with Xenix, not UNIX, but
she's been pretty helpful.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

P.S. In one of the PC mags this month some guy quoted the president
of Northgate as admitting that he didn't know what the 'Omni' key
was for on the OmniKey Plus - so I wish you good luck getting your info.
Also: They shipped us really excellent documentation for the most part,
but they sent an OmniKey Plus manual along with the OmniKey 102 which
we ordered. BTW I just checked the Rev. number on my 'old style'
OmniKey 102 - It's 6.2. I didn't keep of record of the one I swapped.

zdb1526@dsachg1.UUCP (Kelly Pearce) (01/08/90)

In article <5655@holston.UUCP>, barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
> Would you please email me your experiences with Northgate

Please post a summary of your responses on Northgate to the net.

--
Kelly M. Pearce, DLA Systems Automation Center, (801)399-6549, AV 790-0549
UUCP:      ucbvax!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!dsac!dsachg1!kpearce

jsulliva@cvbnet.UUCP (Jeff Sullivan, x4096 MS 4-2) (01/10/90)

   I have owned a 386/16 VGA system for 8 months or so.
   I bought it with my own money (not companies!) and it's
   one of the best (depreciable asset) investments I've made.
   I would buy from Northgate again, only I'd buy a faster
   machine with more memory. (The 20 mhz machine is now cheaper
   than my 16!). I recommend the 16-bit VGA option and a mouse.

   You should consider getting at least 2M RAM, it's cheaper if
   you buy it right off the bat. If you really want to take adv-
   antage of the 386, you'll want run DESQview/386, Windows/386
   or Unix (more than 2M!).

   Disclaimer: No connection with Northgate, just a happy camper.

   -Jeff
   UUCP	   : {decvax|linus|sun}!cvbnet!jsulliva
   Internet: jsulliva@cvbnet.prime.com